“One word (or two) Au Gratin”

Rhinelander Cafe & Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
Rhinelander Cafe & Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Rhinelander
Cuisines: American, Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fixture in Rhinelander for over 85 years. Always dependable,excellant fish and steaks . Open for B-L-and dinner.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I could make a meal out of their au gratin potatos. I get them with every dinner I order. The Pub as the locals refer to it is always a place you can depend upon to get a wonderful meal. Just out for a cocktail, sit at the bar and have a Brandy Old Fashioned. Great eats right in downtown Rhinelander

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The first time we ate here was for a late lunch. My son ordered a patty melt. He really liked it and we enjoyed our food and drinks as well. We all agreed the service was great but the interior is a bit depressing. The next time we were in town we ate there for an early dinner. Without looking at the menu, my son told he waitress wanted a patty melt and she got really snippy with him and told him he couldn't order that b/c it wasn't on the dinner menu (because really, it's so hard to put a burger on two pieces of rye bread instead of a bun-it's Friday night in WI, we know you have tons of rye bread) So he found something else, but who gets an attitude with a kid like that?
The third time we went, we waited for a bit to be seated and the food was not memorable.
The last time we went the dining room was about deserted-there were more workers standing around staring at the walls than diners. We waited for several minutes and had asked 2 of the 6 workers if someone would seat us or if we could sit anywhere. We were told we had to wait to be seated (per sign at front, which we had seen). After a few more minutes, no one bothered to acknowledge us. I guess they didn't want our $100.
We went to Bucketheads and enjoyed their atmosphere, service, and food.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This place has been going for years. The food is excellent and the drinks are worth the price. Steaks are cooked to perfection.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

3 of us went there on Easter. Let me talk about the positives first. I ordered Baked French Onion Soup; it was terrific. I ordered Potatoes au gratin: terrific. I ordered a planked Whitefish: terrific. My meal was excellent as was my Dad's. My spouse was not as lucky. She ordered a steak/shrimp combo with a baked potato. The steak was perfect, but the shrimp were rubbery and the potato old and mealy. This is NOT usual for the Cafe and Pub. Our complaint is as to service which was way below par.... in fact, it was bad. Made reservations. Got there and told that we had to go to the bar(there was hardly anyone eating). That order was countermanded by someone else and we were seated. No body came to allow us to order drinks; after waiting too long, I went to the bar to place an order; I was told that the bartender would tell our waiter and deliver the drinks. There were a long time in coming in addition to which although I'd asked for a glass for Dad, he was simply brought a bottle. Service of food was slow. Billing was slow and then we were ignored until I took the bill and CC to the Hostess who then contacted the waiter. Worst meal my wife has had there.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were send her by a local who raved about the food. Slightly better than a coffee shop and depressing inside.