“Overpriced and Mediocre”

Red Onion Cafe
Ranked #26 of 254 Restaurants in Racine
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Red Onion Cafe prides itself as offering the downtown Racine business community a more upscale option for both breakfast and lunch. Offering a range of sandwiches, salads and home-made soups, the Red Onion Cafe is a great option for a quality, quick lunch. Also, with full espresso bar service and 20 gourmet omelet options, the Red Onion Cafe is a great place to enjoy a hearty, start-your-day breakfast before heading to work.
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited for 3 to go orders. Service is not fast. Waited 30 minutes for 3 sanwiches. Upon leaving, I said, the soup is in here, right? I was then told you have to get it yourself. Someone might have explained that when I placed the order. Turkey and tuna sandwiches were good, but not outstanding. Grilled cheese was bland, soggy and way overpriced. Chowder was starchy and full of potatoes. If there was meat, I didn't see any. Paid over $23 for 3 soup sandwich combos. Not worth it and won't be back.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have been stopping in here for over a year now and never had a bad experience. The service is always fast and friendly. The food choices are great and the daily specials are perfect. They have a great soup and sandwich choice with normally 2 soups and chili in the winter time. The food is made fresh and comes out fast. The atmosphere is pleasant with a choice for seating for business conversation or friendly lunch talk.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were looking for a great place to have breakfast in Racine and came across The Red Onion Café. The building it is in is really pretty. It is a bit unique as it doesn't have servers, you order at the counter and they bring the food and drinks out to you. The BEST breakfast around using the best ingredients. We had the everything omlette with hashbrowns and whole wheat toast and two late's. We were in a food coma by the time we left. There lunch menu sounds delicious and inventive as well. They are only open for breakfast and lunch and are closed on Sunday. It is well worth the trip and the prices are very good.

1  Thank Robbin V
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I was a little hesitant to try Red Onion because it looked like a trendy little cafe but the food and the atmosphere is anything but. I had the Cuban Pork Sandwich and my date had the BLT. Both were excellent with fresh ingredients. The house chowder was superb. On a previous visit I had an omelette and it was huge and fluffy. I only wish they had wifi available.

1  Thank civicnation
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Found myself in town with some time to spare and discovered this gem of a place.

As a non coffee liking tea drinking Englishman, it was refreshing to see a range of loose teas and infusion tea pots! My first ever proper cup of tea in North America. The water was right on the boil when added to the leaves - essential!

Highly recommmend the light and fluffy omelette with marbled rye bread. Delicious!!

For me 10/10.