“Maybe we should have tried the steaks....”
Review of Jones' Black Angus

Jones' Black Angus
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We arrived at a late dinner hour on a weeknight. Pretty quite with only a few other tables of diners. The service was attentive. I was hungry for ribs, my companion had a beef skewer with rice pilaf. i selected the hash browns and added onion and cheese. We enjoyed the salad bar and soup while waiting for our entrees. I liked the offering of spinach in addition to lettuce. The homemade soup was good.

The ribs were just shy of "falling off the rib tender." The bbq sauce was too sweet for my taste and appeared to have been applied just prior to serving. The hash browns were heavy on sweet onions. The cheese was applied to the top of the hash browns and was tasteless. My companion's beef skewer was rather non-descript. Some of the locals later told us this was the primier place for steaks in Prairie du Chien, so we may have missed out when we ordered something else. Our choices turned out to be rather mundane.

1  Thank Droplet1927

Reviewed March 22, 2012

When I walked in there were several specials listed on the board, no pricing listed. Figuring that the special is typically a reduced price and possibly smaller portion, I ordered the Bone-In Ribeye steak. I never inquired as to the size or cost expecting a 12-16oz portion. When brought to the table it was a 32oz portion. I inquired as to why the waitress did not inform me of this outrageous size she replied "we are told not to as it scares people away". I can think of very few people that can and would sit down and eat a two pound steak for dinner. The bill for this "Special" came to $38, again I feel that I should have been warned of this high price for a special. While the food was good, it was overshadowed by the deceit of the management.

7  Thank Rock-DoveWI
Reviewed March 7, 2012

enjoyed 1/2 rack ribs for dinner...finger licking good!

1  Thank Kurt K
Reviewed February 15, 2012

It was my first visit to the Black Angus, my fiance who is from the area has been there previously, years ago, and suggested we go there. Great atmosphere! The bartender was very helpful with my wine choice. The staff was friendly. We both ordered Prime Rib & Lobster. It was fantastic! Salad bar is very fresh with enough choices to please anyone. The Tomato Basil soup was delicious. A fresh loaf of warm bread was delivered to the table and added a nice touch to our salads. Our waitress was friendly but she seemed very pre-occupied at times. They were very busy so we took it with no complaint. I would have rated 5 stars but my fiance got his dinner order with the wrong side dish. The waitress was not around for a while so to return it would have been a long wait. He honestly didn't mind, he enjoyed the meal anyway. All in all it was a perfect way to celebrate Valentines day. We saw desserts brought out to other tables and they looked fantastic, but we had such huge dinner portions that we passed on the sweets. We will definately return as the food was absolutely wonderful.

1  Thank Skippie319
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is the best ribeye steak, prime rib, or sirloin you can get any place. The staff hustle to serve you and the Jones/or hostess will remember you and welcome you like an old friend. the next time you come. The waitresses remember us and June makes her own Italian Cake dessert that is just wonderful. This is our favorite place to eat and certainly worth the drive! Drinks are made like an steakhouse in the 60's but everything is up-to-date and the food is excellent1

We live an hour east of the Black Angus make the trip almost once a month to eat there. We go to Minneapolis for long weekends with our family (5 hour trip) and always time our return so that we drive 4 hours from Minneapolis and get to Prairie du Chien "just in time for dinner". Sometimes we have to waste an hour or two along the way but we make it work. I just called to be sure they will be open on New Year's Day and they will be! We will be there!

2  Thank Abbyabigail