“Clean, comfortable and very reasonably priced”
Review of Brisbois Motor Inn

Brisbois Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Prairie du Chien
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My brother and I visited from the UK as part of the 1300tourer.com group which comprised about 30 people mainly on motorcycles. I phoned about 5 moths prior to arriving and spoke to the owners wife who seemed a bit surprised to be getting a phone call from the UK. It would appear that not many tourists from over the pond visit this area of the US which is such a shame as it is such a beautiful area and everyone we net was so friendly and helpful.
The motel is what we over the pond consider to be a real stateside motel where you park right outside your room, the rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable and there was no shortage of hot water as I have experienced at much more expensive establishments.
There is a train track behind the motel but the trains are not allowed to sound their horns between 10am and 7am. I took ear plugs as had a previous bad experience in flagstaff but that is another story and had no problems here.
The owner even helped one of our members repair his bike !!!!
I would not hesitate in recommending this motel for anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank g0dus

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was an overnight stay at what felt like a 70's motor lodge. It was clean and the price was good. This was a trip up the Mississippi River and it felt just fine for an overnight stay. A little musty, but aired out with air conditioner on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy W
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Traveling along the mississipi river we came along and saw this place. It's not new or up to standards. The lady was very nice and gave us a good price. The room was clean the door closed nice and tight. The lady was very honest and said they are changing things here and making everything up to standard. Gave us a 10% off coupon to the next door restaurant.
It couldn't get any better.

Room Tip: Make sure the doors close tightly. We stayed and some high end hotels the doos didn't close tigh...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skae12
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Brisbois Motor Inn is under new ownership. We are working hard to make this the hotel that everyone wants to stay at. We offer alot of amenities and rooms at a great price. We have a great staff who work hard to make your stay enjoyable. Please come visit us. Thank you.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at the hotel overnight on an adventure to Iowa. This motel is decorated in the style of 70's. Wood work could use a lillte touch up, but not a deal breaker. No doubt feeling the squeeze from the newer chains down the road. Small portable TV, microwave, and coffee pot in the room, oh yeah also a fridge. We have stayed here 3 or 4 times in the last ten years. Any problems, management has always taken care of them. For the price this was a good overnight option. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean!

Room Tip: If you require wifi, ask for a room closer to lobby, router is iffy at south end rooms,(but lobby g...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed at the Brisbois when visiting a local supplier in prairie du chien. It is now under new management, and I'm pleased to say we were treated very well. The WiFi problems appear to have been sorted as we had no problem getting connections on a number of devices including laptops, blackberries and an iPad.

the first room we got had no lights in the bathroom but we were quickly moved to a nearby room where everything worked - no harm, no foul.

Facilities are basic but effective, the beds were clean and comfortable, the rooms were warm, we weren't going to ask for a lot more. the railway behind the hotel is a constant companion, and the locomotives blow their horns passing through at 0630, but we got used to that after a bit.

I'd stress that the new management have only just taken over, so we may find some more open items but I'm confident these will be closed in due course.

There is a pool but being winter, it was solid, so we left it alone.

The hotel is very easy to find, DH Satellite are opposite - look for a number of 5 metre diameter satellite antennas mounted near the road.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rivnut
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This is the second time that I have stayed at this motel. The first experience was not good but thought that it had been a few years and that maybe it has been updated and change management or something.
The last time we arrived they did not have the room that we had booked so we received a different one with one less bed but it had a sofa sleeper. When we went to our room the room was clean just smelled alittle musty. For the sofa sleeper the sheets did not look clean, so my child slept in the bed with me and my husband which was very uncomfortable, we had reserved 2 queens.
After the stay I was checking out my bank account online and the motel had TWO holds on my account for the exact amount. I called my bank and they said they did run it twice and there was nothing they could do about it. FYI- for everyone that uses a debit card for hotel stays DON'T the bank does not stand behind you like a regular credit card. I called the motel and they told me there was only one charge, I talked to the manager and told her to call my bank and tell them that.
I never heard back from anyone and a few days later I saw that one of the charges was taken away but the on the other one the amount had changed to $20 more than what my original receipt had said. I called sent a fax to the motel and ask them to refund my money of $20.
A week in a half later still no refund called again today and the manager said it would be taken care of today. We will see. This motel is over priced for what it is and you would be better off tenting it then stying there.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jamtyoung
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed here for one night in July. The room was reasonably clean but needed refurbishing a couple decades ago.
The TV conked out twenty minutes after we turned it on. The bathroom was very small. The holder for clean towels was directly over the toilet, curiously the toilet had no lid.
Only one towel dropped in before we moved the rest to a safer place.
Wall AC units are typically noisy but this one was so loud we could barely hear the passing trains. Every few minutes it would cycle into a phase that would rattle the walls and windows for about thirty seconds, unreal. Friends a couple rooms away said they had the same problem and eventually turned it off and opened the windows. So the options are hot room or noisy room.
We went to the lobby for breakfast around 0800. There was a good supply of the usual stuff, the "make your own waffles" were tasty.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple