“Great place to visit and eat”

National Brewery Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Potosi
Reviewed April 29, 2012

They have a great collection to view - be sure to grab some of the pub grub before you go. Never dissappointing.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

What a find! $5 admission and it gets you a free beer. Very cool and interesting displays in an amazingly well restored brewery. And the restaurant and bar is good, too. I will be returning.

1  Thank fonixmunkee
Reviewed November 30, 2011

In my travels I enjoy visiting small breweries across the country. With a recent visit to the Dubuque area, I did the 20 minute trip over to Potosi to visit the brewery. While the resturant and brewery are really great, I did not like the museum. We arrived shortly after noon so we decided to eat first and then take the tour. Bad mistake because we did plenty of drinking with the meal and didn't realize at the time that the tour included a beer. That was a bit too much before a ride back.

The museum itself is laid-out rather stange. You take the elevator up but aren't exactly clear of which side of the elevator to get out. At the top there is a banquet and brewery room which are separate from the museum. Once you do reach a floor with the museum stuff on it, the floors run at different levels. This would make it difficult for visiting with a person who mobility challenged to see the items at the other side of the floor, but at a lower level.

Like previous posters have said that the museum is made of older marketing material from area breweries. Things like bottling, signs, bottles, cans, etc. (Stuff you would expect to see in your uncle's basement:)). I found that much of the stuff was early to mid last century. That was good from a historical perspective but the museum seemed to lack organization or atleast organization that followed the floor/room levels. It would have been nice to see each room dedicated to a different theme.

Additionally, I was suprised not to see much from the later half of the last century and the early part of this century. Especially with the revitalization of the small batch breweries in the area (considering this museum is housed in one). I would have like to see some contrast of the old and new. Here...it is just old.

When you enter the resturant and brewery you are greated by a group of older host. I did see a couple of them give what seemed to be guided tours to a couple groups that came in. It would have been nice if these were offered to us to make more sense of this place.

1  Thank Brian_Schoppe
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We were from out of town and wanted to go upstairs for the restaurant but it was reserved for weddings (dissapointing!) but thankfully they left the little wine bar downstairs open.
They had some great wine but very few food selections. The staff was excellent and very accomodating to our out of town group. They also had karoke and it was pretty busy the night we were there. A friend played on the guitar that the karoke guy brought and a colleauge and I performed some advanced yoga just to liven things up more while my friend played. The crowd loved it and several people whipped out their cameraphones to record the music and yoga display. I guess there probably are not many people in Dubuque that practice hot yoga and are as flexible as we are. It was fun and I am glad we could provide something unusual for the staff and patrons that night! I hope it inspires more people to think and act outside of the box.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Definitely check out the Museum if you are visiting the brewery. The tour is $5, but you also get a a free beer or soda, so you can easily get your moneys worth.

The museum contains a lot of beer memorabilia from all sorts of breweries especially those in Wisconsin and Iowa.