“Average hotel”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Aurora, Illinois
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night, just passing through the area. The hotel is not much to look at from the outside, but the room itself was comfortable and clean.

The beds were comfortable and I liked that the room had a nice-sized mini fridge and a microwave. Everything worked fine (a/c, shower, TV, coffee maker, etc). The continental breakfast was a nice touch; nothing fancy but beats fast food.

I didn't find the service here to be anything special. They were pleasant enough at check-in but seemed annoyed when I called down to the front desk for an extra bath towel.

• Stayed July 2013
BW_Manager20, Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do apologize for the Front Desk giving you an annoyed impression, I will certainly bring this to their attention, to ensure it does not happen again. Hope to see you again if you are in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

not the least expensive, but reasonable. Off the beaten path, about 9 miles north of 90/94 hwy. Good thing I had a GPS.

The desk attendant was away when I arrived at 11 pm, but I didn't wait long. She was very friendly. She offered a wake up call.
I requested a first floor room close to entrance and was given room 102.
The bathroom was clean. Our queen beds were comfortable. The room is typical, but nicely decorated. Had a microwave and refrigerator.

Upon entry, the room was warm and stuffy.Took the a/c 4 hours to feel cool. We requested a fan but they had none.

Other reviews mentioned noise, but this night, a Wednesday, was quiet.

We chose not to get going by 9am in order to partake of the free breakfast, so no comment.

Because of the location I may think twice before booking again. As they say, location, location, location!

• Stayed July 2013
BW_Manager20, Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look up what room you were in and have the maintenance person check it out to make sure it is working properly. Hope to see you again soon.
Cumberland, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

ITs always a gamble on accomodations since pics don't always look like the real thing, but at the price we got it for, we were happy with our stay. There is a church adjacent to the hotel, we were able to enjoy some family down time flying kites and throwing frisbee there, and then even able to walk over to walmart for a few things with the little ones--if you do this, go through the oil change/tire door in the back, then you don't have to go around to front. Your average continental breakfast, but so crowded that we grabbed yogurt and hit the road. There was a wedding party there so lots of kids in rooms, but we really didn't notice extra noise--probably because we had our own kids, and are sometimes relieved when there are other kids around so we aren't the loud annoying family. We rarely saw people in the halls, must depend on your stay, we were there on a june weekend. On the website we booked this, it was compared to a couple of the waterpark resorts in wis dells, I found that strange, it seems to me to be in a separate category.

Room Tip: I wasn't sure if it was all suites, but to clarify, its not, we were in a standard queen double...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BW_Manager20, Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, the breakfast area does get crowded at times, but we have extended hours on the weekends to help combat this problem. We are glad that you got to spend some quality family time, and hope to see you again if you are in this area!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I really hate writing bad reviews because I know people really try to please, and to begin, all interaction with employees was very positive. However, I have never in my life experienced a hotel where you could hear every word spoken in the next room. First, I had wanted to leave the patio door open while we slept because the air was so nice and cool that night. However, there were young sounding voices exploding firecrackers in the parking lot below so I had to shut the door because of that noise. Then the people in the next room came home about 10 PM, apparently with a few other couples. When they were talking they may as well have been standing right next to our bed. There must be absolutely no soundproofing whatsoever between the rooms. I really couldn't quite believe it. We got little or no sleep until about 2 AM when the group next door finally disbursed. The hotel is a very nice facility, but I doubt that I'd stay there again because of the paper thin walls.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BW_Manager20, Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
I apologize for the noise issues that occured when you stayed with us. I am not sure if you called the front desk or not, but I assure you they would have taken care of any noise issues had they been made aware of it.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Although the staff was great, the sheer number of guests made this stay less than pleasant. We could get to sleep due to guest hanging out in hallways, we awoke early to yelling and playing and when we attempted to take advantage of the free breakfast, NO WAY! We would have had to wait for a long period to just get food, if any was left, and then stand to eat. I don't think so. They are not prepared to handle the number of people that were there that weekend. They need a kid free floor or something!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We would like to apologize for you being kept up during the night, some people do not realize that their voices carry and that other people may be trying to sleep. I realize that the breakfast area was very busy and I am sorry that you were unable to take advantage of the breakfast.
Rochester, Minnesota, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Bed felt like I was sleeping on a box spring. Room did not smell clean. Would not recommend staying at this hotel until some updates are done. Location was good. I expected better out of Best Western.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Chad B
BW_Manager20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
I apologize for the mattresses not meeting your expectations, we are currently in the process of getting new ones. Hopefully you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations, if you are in the area again.
Durant, Oklahoma, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stay here every time I'm in Portage for business. The staff is friendly and have always went above and beyond to assist me. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is in Portage. It's right off the highway and easy to access.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BW_Manager20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are very happy that you choose to stay with us, when you are in the area and for the awesome review. Thank you for your continued business!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 6 in Portage
Days Inn Portage
Days Inn Portage
#4 of 6 in Portage
BEST WESTERN Ambassador Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Ambassador Inn & Su...
#6 of 72 in Wisconsin Dells
Ridge Motor Inn
Ridge Motor Inn
#5 of 6 in Portage
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac
BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!