“Great Pizza”

The Caboose BBQ Company
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Built in the late 1800's Brick Building. Next to the Train Depot in Historic Portage.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I wanted to try Caboose pizza, as I'm very sensitive to spicy (hot/peppery) foods. The sauces that some other places use on their pizzas burn my mouth. Caboose pizza is the best pizza I've had in Portage since Bud's Pizza closed their doors. It's very tasty and not hot-spicy. The thin crust is just what I wanted. I ordered the pizza as a take out item, and the only complaint I have is that when I arrived to pick it up, no one was around. I was on the verge of calling them from my cell phone when someone finally arrived at the register. Other than the wait, the pizza was great and price was reasonable. I look forward to trying other menu items as well.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CarrieJ4765

Chicago, Illinois
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Myself, family, and friends go out of town to Portage, WI every year for my birthday to mainly ski. When we checked into our hotel my mother saw a flyer for The Caboose BBQ and read that they provided a free bus ride to and from the restaurant. We thought that was great! There were seven of us and the Rich came and picked us up. Rich was very nice and even gave us some info about the town when we drove through. When we got to the restaurant it was small but very cute. We ordered pizza and ribs. We are from Chicago and really enjoyed the pizza. There was soooo much food and it was all very delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Service was great, food was excellent, and even Rich added a special touch.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank LLauren11
“Would try again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in on a Sat night, service was fast and food was fast. Liked the pan it was served in. Got the pulled pork it was very good. Disappointed that I didn't get a roll or corn bread or somthing. The cole slaw was good but the serving size was the size of a condiment container , not much. My other side was a baked Potatoe, it was good but it to was very small. I would try it again. Looking forward to my cornbread! :)

“Wow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

The Nov review on here is unbelievable. I am shocked that a manager would actually write a book response and insult the customer at the end. I apologize to these people for the manager. That's no way to treat a customer. Very disrespectful. Everyone has an opinion, that's what this site is about. As a restaurant manager, customer opinion and retention is a main goal, not being a repellant. :/ not professional at all

1 Thank wisconsingirl97
Madison, Wisconsin
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Hubby and I went tonight for the first time. This was a Wednesday around 5:30 pm. We sit down and are given a confusing brochure type menu that mentions nothing about pizza. The waitress then tells us they are out of pulled pork. This is a main menu item and they are out of it at 5:30 PM? I order a beer and get no glass. Have to ask for one and get a warm one. We both order a beef brisket item that comes with two sides and cornbread for $13.95 each. It comes to the table with no cornbread. I inquire and the waitress states "We don't have cornbread" Our 13.95 meal consisted of a small amount of shredded dry beef brisket and the sides came in very small plastic cups. As the meal was so small, i asked the waitress if there was something they could substitute. She brought us each a slice of bread and butter. After we had ordered our meal she also then gave us a piece of paper with their pizza offerings on it. There was no info regarding the pizzas except sizes,prices, and a very minimal choice of mundane pizzas. A 12" was 13.00. On the plus side - the coleslaw was good. We finished everything and were still hungry after we paid our enormous bill. Also the tops of the sauce and ketchup and mustard bottles looked dirty and had dried ketchup and mustard almost clogging the opening. gross! They have no beer or wine list and the waitress was new and did not know what they had without checking. Not a good experience. Never again.

• Visited November 2013
Sm0ke, General Manager at The Caboose BBQ Company, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
I appreciate your review, as we take the good with the bad. We are are a family run restaurant in a small town. We are ones that give young people a chance to work if they are willing. We can only train them so much before they are put out on the floor by themselves. There are a few things you mentioned that will be addressed, but as you stated yourself the waitress was new, in fact it was her first night on the floor alone. To give a harsh review over a new waitress was a little much. I also don't understand how the menu was confusing, the heading is right next to it's nickname (Stockyard(Burgers), (Railroads(Dinners), I'm sorry if that was too much as we do get a lot of compliments on our themed menu.

Now, the waitress should have stated that we are just over two weeks into our new location and we just had the pizza oven installed and were only serving a limited pizza menu. To say that our pizza is mundane is a little pretentious without ever trying it. We are not a chain restaurant and a 12" pizza with 4 topping of fresh ingredients for $13.00 is very reasonable in this area, as we have paid more ourselves. We eat at a friends very successful restaurant and it costs us $15.00 for that same pizza.

With the owners and management on staff having over 100yrs of experience. We have never owned or worked for a restaurant that serves a glass with a bottle of beer without the customer asking for it. EVER!! Nor have we received a glass when ordering a beer ourselves out and about. If you would have seen our bar area it is very small, it only seats 10 people. We have no room for chilled glasses.

You do understand we are a BBQ Joint, and not a fine dining 5 star restaurant. We don't have a beer or let alone a wine list. You have evidently never been to a true BBQ restaurant. True BBQ joints smoke everything in house and not shipped in pre-smoked as some chains do. We run our restaurant as Chef Gordon Ramsay does, homemade fresh. We even have a sign that quotes Chef Ramsay "When food is made fresh, running out is normal." I don't see how you think pulled pork is our main menu item, when we smoke 8 different types of meat. We never know how much of anything that is going to sell any particular day and we often have people coming in and buying 5 to 10lbs of meat for take out on a daily basis. Most meats that we do smoke, take 8 to 18 hrs. The way our meat is served there is NO WAY possible that you could have been served dry brisket....IMPOSSIBLE!! We do hand pull our brisket as to make it leaner vs the sliced.

Now, I'm not sure how much you can eat, but to say that our serving size is small is a little absurd. As dinners are served with 2/3lbs of meat(it is pre-portioned) and our sides are served in 4oz cups. So, if you ordered a dinner with beans and coleslaw you would be eating .83lbs of food which most of our customers can't even finish.

Now you did happen to come in right before our new menus arrived and on them we no longer serve cornbread, which the waitress told you.

Now, you marked in the review of the low value, and that you paid your enormous bill. The price we charge for the amount of food you get, has been our greatest reviews for value. I'm not sure where you are used to eating but $28.00 for two dinners plus $2.50 for a bottle of beer is hardly enormous.

I guess we don't meet the standards of the Big City of Madison in our little community. We can only hope that you hold to your words stated in your heading.