“Absolute amazing smokehouse BBQ joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Caboose BBQ Company - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Caboose BBQ Company
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Built in the late 1800's Brick Building. Next to the Train Depot in Historic Portage.
“Absolute amazing smokehouse BBQ joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have ate at the caboose several times now with my wife and a couple times with a group of about 10. Food has been served hot and quick every time and its delicious. I have had most things on the menu and all are great. And nothing has a over smoked flavor to it. The BBQ sauces are excellent all really great flavor even the ghost sauce is great flavor and not to hot.it is a bar but nice seating off to the side room for dining in. We take our 8 month old baby in.. its not a skummy bar or dive joint. The decorations are great too.

• Visited January 2013

Lake Delton, Wisconsin
“I would recommend them.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have not been in the restaurant but have ordered delivery food from there twice. The first time, I ordered the reuben. It looks dry but it was very good. Not the greatest, but very good. I am not a big fan of the fries but at least they are a bid different than the norm. The second time, I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with fries. I also had a taste for the fried pickles that is supposed to come with a white sauce. I didn't receive the sauce so I was disappointed. And without the sauce, you mostly taste the greasy breading on the pickles so I wouldn't do that again. The pulled pork sandwich that comes with a side of their sauce was wonderful. This time around, the fries were a little undercooked.
So bottom line, in any other town, I would probably give this restaurant an average rating instead of very good. But if you know Portage and their lack of restaurant options, especially for delivery, The Caboose is actually a pretty good option.
Best thing is their prices are great, they do not charge a delivery charge which sets them far ahead of the others. For the most part, the food is very good and their delivery is very fast - 25 minutes on a busy Friday night is pretty impressive to me.
The only thing I would suggest to them if they were reading this is to change their menu. There are some typos and some unclear options. For example, the pulled pork sandwich says it comes with fries OR onion rings and your choice of one side. To me it sounds like you would pick a side in addition to fries or onion rings - not so, at least I or any of my coworkers has ever received an extra side. And that's ok for $6.95 but just clear up the menu wording. Also, I have witnessed my coworkers receiving the wrong order and I think this is due to the fact that they got a little too creative with the menu. Most places would call their burger the Caboose burger where as this place calls a burger "The Caller" or the "Machine Operator". You don't know what kind of sandwich that name refers to. When I called to order my reuben last time, aka "Road Foreman", the person taking the order had to ask what sandwich that was. Just adds confusion I think.
But again, these are things I would do different so that orders would have a better chance at being accurate.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Colleen J
Sm0ke, Owner at The Caboose BBQ Company, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank You for your recent review. We are always open minded people and can take good comments and the same with the bad. To clear any confusion you do get the choice of FF or OR and 1 side, normally Baked Beans or Coleslaw. Our french fries are fresh cut as with everything on our menu is made by us, no pre-made anything. Our menu is a themed menu which we get a lot of comment on to the liking. We are a new place and we are training new staff, which does add to a bit of the confusion and for that we apoligize. We are always taking steps to improve where needed. Thanks Again!!
Portage, Wisconsin
“Pretty good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Laid back casual bar atmosphere. Portions are large. Cons: half restaurant, half bar so if you're there to drink, need to watch language and your volume, need more selection of beer, maybe a salmon, shrimp or fish entree. Pros: the brisket didn't have one ounce of fat. Large portions, casual relaxed environment.

• Visited April 2013
Freeport, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprisingly good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the outside, it doesn't look like much. Inside, it's plain and dominated by the bar. Considering the appearance I didn't expect much, but the food was surprisingly good. The ribs were meaty, juicy and flavorful. BBQ sauces, regular and spicy, were both tasty, too.
Very reasonable prices, too.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank JayME13
Westfield, Wisconsin
“Authentic Smoked Foods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

When you think of BBQ or Smoked food, Portage Wisconsin doesn't immediately pop into your head now does it?? I was skeptical as well, but the Caboose proved me wrong. It's a small quaint place. They have your usual menu items of ribs and pulled pork, but also take it a few steps more with turkey and their Saturday special => Smoked Prime Rib. You should also try out their diverse appetizer selections. The food and service are good and you definitely get you money's worth here!

• Visited March 2013