“Skiing”

and up
Small-Group Sightseeing and Hiking at Mt Rainier from Seattle
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Portage
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The management is aggressive and arrogant. They make you feel like they're doing you a favor to you to use their hill. You get treated a lot better at Devils Head or Tyrol Basin.

1  Thank SRH-1605

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a closest place from Chicago where you can say you skied. If you have family (kids younger than 12) it is probably the best/cheapest one day option too, given that you don't have to pay for the kids with a paying adult. Trails are decent, though nothing special. Lines are alright and it is nice that you can ski through the night too, so you can really use your 8 hours pass.

1  Thank vukota
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The schoolmarm hill and the bunny hill were very good for beginners. We took our children there and we're able to watch them from the lodge while they went on run after run. We hired Chad to give our son a snow board lesson. Chad was a good teacher who gave some fundamental skills training and provided some advice on how to continue some practice runs on his own. The workers in the rental lodge were efficient and helpful. The price was reasonable.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We took the kids ages 8 and 7 to Cascade for their first ski experience and it was awesome!!! I had only been skiing once when I was 15 and was terrible, so I really wanted the kids to learn at a younger age so hopefully they would do better than I did. Some friends of ours from our area(St. Louis) had told us great things about Cascade and the fact that kids ski free was a big bonus. it's about a 6.5 hour drive for us which is ok for a long weekend. The place was very crowded; I think President's Day weekend is one of their busiest ones of the season. We got there around 8:45(slopes open at 9) because they wouldn't let me make a private lesson reservation over the phone and we had to have one...I knew this would be hard with all the crowds and it was--we got the last instructor for 9-10 slot otherwise it would have been afternoon(and I would have probably been in the ER by them!) Larry was great and helped us with getting our boots, skis, everything. He was so patient with the kids, who actually caught on really fast. By the time our hour with him was up, we were going down the "magic Carpet Ride" area with ease. After another hour or 2 we went up the ski lift to the bunny slope. It was so fun and miracle alert-I can ski now! Who knew I'd be better at 36 than 15?! We didn't progress any further than the 1st bunny slope but we just went the one day(if I'd known how fun it would be we would have done 2 or 3.) My mom came with us but she doesn't ski so she hung out in the chalet and drank coffee all day. She couldn't see our area from there but had a view of some of the more advanced slopes. We had lunch in the cafe and it was ok at best and expensive--next time we'll do what a lot of families were doing and bring a cooler with lunches/snacks in it. You get really thirsty so load up the Gatorade! The weather was very cold while we were there and they had a lot of snow on the ground so the slopes were nice and powdery. The whole place seemed very clean and well-run. There are lockers for rent and we did put some of our stuff in there but it was very small for as many people as there were. The parking lot is right there though so leaving some things in the car would be a good option. All in all, we cannot wait to return to Cascade!!!

1  Thank carriemom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Came here w/my husband just for the evening- $25 for a half day ticket- 3:30pm-9pm. Great deal, plenty of time to snowboard and decent runs. I am a beginner and this place seemed to have many options, although I think if I were advanced it might be boring, although I didn't go down the difficult slopes it so I wouldn't really know. There were lots of people learning/taking lessons, and kids ski free here which is awesome for families, but as an adult without children, I might choose Devil's Head over Cascade only because there will be fewer crowds of kids. This place was very similar to Devil's Head. It has been a mild winter with regards to snow, but they did a good job maintaining the runs. The ground was really hard though, but this is not something they can control, they had their nice little layer of fake snow on top. I went down the middle of the line green slope which was perfect for me- took me about 20 minutes to get down, only waited about 5 minutes to get on the lift and the lift moved pretty quick. Staff were pretty nice, lodges looked decent , all in all a good place to visit, definitely the place to go if you have kids who like to ski/snowboard, can't beat the deal.