“LARRY'S SMOKE HOUSE IS CLOSED”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Larry's Smoke House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Seating
Description: Grand Opening December 10th, 2011.
Portage, Wisconsin
“LARRY'S SMOKE HOUSE IS CLOSED”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place in Portage is closed, it's been closed for many many months. There isn't a restaurant there anymore.

Visited February 2013

“UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Larry's Smokehouse is no longer being owned by Larry. It under took new owners about a month ago! It is now Moore's Smokehouse. There's an all new kitchen team and wait staff! The menu did undertake a few changes but nothing too drastic! We get compliments on our food all the time! We apologize for the mistakes that Larry did make when he first opened but things are way better now! So stop in today to try our taste of St. Louise Right here in Portage, WI!

Pardeeville, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Truth...Honesty can be hard to handle...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Portage does indeed need at least one quality restaurant downtown, Larry's is not it. I took my two kids a few months ago and was very disappointed. I ordered chicken and ribs as did my son. My daughter ordered a very simple burger. The pork was very under portioned, cut small, pre-smoked as was the chicken. It appears that Larry's orders from Sysco or Reinhardt, or the like, and just heats everything up. It's all mush, the veggies, meat and other sides. My veggies came cold...room temp at best. The chicken was the size of a Cornish Game Hen (literally from a one to two pound bird). Their method of order and heat up in the kitchen is apparent as there is no smoke house on site. I travel for my work and have the opportunity to sample some of the nations best, in this case barbeque. Larry's is not even in the league of last place. I won't go back to a service provider that doesn't care enough to make an attempt to put out an authentic product when that is what he wants his claim to fame to be...Portage does not have a barbeque joint, not even close. The price per plate was ridiculous, there was approximately 5-6 oz. of COMBINED pork AND poultry in the servings, that were identically gooey, the bone was even rubbery indicating: cooked/smoked, frozen, transported, thawed, reheated and lopped on a plate for you the paying customer to ENJOY...not! They couldn't even get a simple burger right. It showed up burned and dry with luke warm fries. Unless an epiphany occurs or an immediate infusion of talent shows up...along with an actual smoker...avoid this one like the plague, if you work as hard for your money as I do, you'll be so much better served going to Suzy's, The Country Club, Cimaroli's etc...

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank RogerThat83
Oxford, Wisconsin
“This place needs an intervention, fast!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

We really wanted to like Larry's, as this area definitely needs better restaurants. Unfortunately, we now have another mediocre place that will likely struggle, get still worse, and eventually close. The server was pleasant, but that was nearly the only positive. First, the menu out front doesn't match the menu inside, so forget the barbequed chicken. Our waitress seemed to think it's never been available at all. So, my youngest son, who really wanted that barbeque chicken, got a kids' meal of fried chicken instead: 4 tiny drumettes and cold fries. I got the brisket, which was served shredded in a watery sauce instead of sliced in the usual smoked brisket fashion. This was more like overdone pot roast, cooked so long that it was chewy and dry, but swimming in a too-sweet and watery sauce; it must have been actually smoked on a different day and served as a leftover. The coleslaw was ok, but the mac and cheese was obviously also reheated from another day; a grainy saucy, rubbery noodles, and very dry. Another son had breaded pork chops: two small slices of loin, albeit in a decent breading that he enjoyed; with it came over-cooked veggies and extremely salty rice. I have seen so many restaurants follow this path, and it makes me sad. I may take the kids back again and maybe try to talk to the owner. If he reads these reviews, let me say this, Larry: no matter what, serve good food every time. If the food is always good, people will come. Portage wants you to succeed!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Viktoria W
Portage
“I wouldnt let me dogs eat there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Where do I begin. My daughter got married yesterday, which included a pre planned meal at Larrys smoke house. Two weeks earlier when we were making plans, Larry had quoted us a flat price, which I had discussed with him at length because we were on a budget. We all got to the restaurant and to make things easier, we wanted to pay the bill right away, and guess what...the bill had been jacked up by almot 50 dollars.
The bartender, co-owner, and a waitress we beyond rude to my family. We were scheduled to eat at 2:30, at 3:30 we were still waiting.
To make a long story short,,we asked for our food to be wrapped up so we would move the reception to our house...their idea of wrapping up the food for 40 people you ask??TOGO containers, the size you would get if you didnt finish your meal.
Then the drama really started....and instead of Larry himself handling his business and the issues...he had his waitstaff deal with everyyhing while he hid in the back.
On to the food....The cornbread was like cement, the pulled pork was so bland and tasteless road kill would of been more flavorful. The ribs were so dried out it was like eating cardboard..the Mac and cheese was like wall paper paste....I have NEVER been to a restaurant that was sooooo poorly managed, and the staff so incredible rude...
For more fun filled facts about Dalerion (Larry) Fonder SR go to http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedailyregister/search/?l=50&sd=desc&s=start_time&f=html&k=%23pdr&q=codette,,,also CCAP......

• Visited March 2012