“Great Stay, Good Value”

Super 8 Portage
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portage
“Great Stay, Good Value”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Very clean and quiet. Comfortable bed and pillows. Very reasonable price and the staff were wonderful! I'm disabled and without even thinking of asking for assistance in getting to my room, one of the employees came and helped me. He refused a tip, saying that just a "thank you" was more than enough. He also commented that "more random acts of kindness are needed in the world today"...providing great insight into the character of the staff working there. When is the last time you heard something similar from a person that you just met?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Elizabeth W, General Manager at Super 8 Portage, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Dave V.,

I would like to sincerely thank you for the excellent review that you gave us, especially your glowing comments about Justin. You are correct, Justin has extraordinary character and is a great example to us all. I am so happy that he was able to assist you during your stay, and for going above and beyond your expectations to provide exemplary service. I will be sure to share your review with him and the rest of our team at the Portage Super 8.

Thank you again! :)

Elizabeth Woyt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend at Super 8 Portage over President's Day weekend for snowboarding at Cascade Mountain. Overall, I'd recommend the place, especially given the price. Below are some pros and cons/issues we had:

Pros:
- the price ($55-60/night over a holiday weekend) is hard to beat
- close proximity to Cascade Mountain (10 minute drive)
- clean (except as noted below), functional room with a comfortable bed
- free and fast internet (we had no problems streaming Netflix on our tablet)
- free breakfast (although it would be nice to have an inexpensive protein option such as boiled eggs)

Cons:
- requested 2nd floor when we made the reservation weeks ago but were given 1st floor. I asked about being moved at check in was told they no longer had anything available. Odd.
- the shower curtain had mold/black soap scum accumulation at the bottom (should be replaced!)
- walls are very thin and we were woken up a few times from noise from outside/adjoining rooms/the hallway
- someone was VACUUMING at 7am! We were in a room with an adjoining door, so it was extremely loud and woke/kept us up. Upon calling the front desk, a woman named "Kat" claimed that it's typical for this hotel to run the vacuum early in the morning. That's bizarre. Having previously worked at a different hotel, I know there was a policy of not doing that where there were guests in rooms nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larissa L
Elizabeth W, General Manager at Super 8 Portage, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Larissa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your stay. Through valuable feedback such as yours, we are able to discover what areas we are doing well in as well as what opportunities we have to improve.

I sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay. I immediately addressed the dirty shower curtain with the housekeeping department and it has been replaced. I have also discussed with my team the incident with the guest in the adjacent room vacuuming early in the morning, and I am very sorry for the disturbance. We occasionally do have housekeepers working around the clock due to a railroad contract, but we have a push-style vacuum that is used from 9pm - 9am. You are correct that this is not standard practice, and in the future they will notify the other party and request that they cease immediately. Our guests' comfort and rest is our utmost priority.

I would also like to apologize for not being able to accommodate your request for the second floor. Unfortunately your reservation was made for a room type that is only located on our first floor, and we were sold out with no other rooms available. Requests made through internet bookings are not visible by the staff until they bring the reservation up to check in. We try very hard to accommodate all guest requests, and I'm sorry that in this case we were not able to. If you allow us the opportunity again in the future, please feel free to call us directly and we can make sure that we block you an upstairs room.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope that you will provide us another chance to demonstrate our award-winning service, and to enjoy a peaceful night's stay. :)

Elizabeth Woyt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Best Western Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ridge Motor Inn
#5 of 6 in Portage
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center

Been to Super 8 Portage? Share your experiences!