“One of the Nicest Days Inns”
Review of Days Inn Portage

Days Inn Portage
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Ok, don't get your hopes up too much. Days Inn is a basic brand, but of the Days Inns that I've stayed in, this is one of the better ones.

Most Days Inns don't have pools. This one actually has an indoor pool and hot tub. The breakfast here is the typical Days Inn breakfast, but the waffle mix comes in two flavors... regular and blueberry. I've never had Days Inn blueberry waffles before. Don't expect REAL blueberries, they are artificially flavored, yet tasty.

The room is smaller than most hotel rooms, but I've stayed in some Days Inns in the past with even smaller rooms than the one here. You do get a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

The carpets in the hallway are dingy, but the room itself isn't bad... I'd keep my socks on though.

The room (one Queen bed), has the vanity sink RIGHT inside the door as you come in from the hallway. It's only 30 inches wide, if that, so if your wife likes to bring a bunch of extra stuff to lay around the sink, there's not enough room.

The water pressure is strange, the shower cycles from hot to cold frequently (whenever someone in another room flushes a toilet, or turns on the hot water).

The front desk is decorated with diamond-plate steel, and looks like it belongs in a man-cave garage. I think that a lot of truckers stay here (there is a huge truck stop next door). This Days Inn would be handy to truckers (it's right off the expressway). If you are bringing a family for a vacation to the Dells, this would probably be ok for an overnight stop before you get there, but as the previous reviewer stated... it's 18 miles away from the Dells. You could burn a lot of gas going back and forth to this location. If you are visiting Baraboo, Dells and Portage, this isn't a bad mid-point place to be, and if you want to avoid the crazy, touristy prices in the Dells, you are far enough away from those. Yes... they do have wristband passes to the Chula Vista waterparks (indoor and outdoor). You also get a coupon book for the Dells area. Last year I stayed in the Starlight motel in the downtown Dells and got the same deal. For about the same price (on Priceline for this Days Inn) you get a nicer hotel here (than the Starlight). The advantage of the Starlight in the Dells, is location... if you want to be in the center of the noisy, touristy, vacation chaos. No Thanks!

The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful, and would go out of her way to provide local tourist information. In the morning, she was extremely busy, keeping the breakfast items in stock.

I'd recommend this location... as a traveler stop, not a vacation destination.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the stairway and the pool area for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DaysInn5066, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Portage, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thak you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am so happy you found the front desk to be friendly, helpful and knowledgable. We train our staff to provide the best customer service possible. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I thought this hotel was alright for me. Here are the "like" & "dislike"
Like: You get a free pass to Chula Vista water park which is $29.00 per person which was a bonus when there are six in the family. They also give out coupon book on some of the attraction around Wisconsin Dells which comes in handy if you are on a tight budget. Breakfast was great!
Dislike: It's 18 miles from Wisconsin Dells, The room that we stayed in was 2 bed room but there was only 1 towel in the room which doesn't make sense when there are 2 bed in the room. Towels are dirty. In fact the only reason I gave this a 3 star instead of 2 is the free ticket to Chula Vista.

Room Tip: Find a hotel around Wisconsin Dells if you can because that is where the main attractions are.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I understand that for $60 you shouldnt expect a very wonderful 5 star hotel, however i would definitally make it clear that i would not recommend anyone to stay here... and spend your money elsewhere.

Perks: Chula Vista waterpark passes, breakfast
I have been to multiple waterparks in the Dells area, and Chula Vista is definitally lacking in a few areas. If you stay at chula vista hotel, its a great waterpark.. But because theres so many to choose from in the Dells area, wouldn't stay at days inn in order to get these tickets.. its NOT worth it. Oh-- make sure to bring your own towels, TOWELS ARE ONLY FOR CHULA VISTA RESORT HOTEL GUESTS. We just took some when there was no attendent guarding them..The 'hot breakfast was nice with lots of options, waffles, eggs, bagels, donuts, etc.

Cons: Dirty, smelly, tiny beds. Small rooms, pool, where is the 'military discount'?? location sucks
When we first got into our room, it absolutely reaked of cigarettes, you are also not allowed to open the windows to air the room out, we tried using fabreeze, starting the coffee maker and nothing worked.. it still smelled!! One of our other friends who had another room found blood, and hair in their sheets.. apparently they think that they shouldn't change the sheets and don't seem to know how to make beds either.. the rooms are just way too small and the tv quality (channels) are terrible.. theres no hbo or movies or anything that you can get at any regular hotel.. The pool is definitally wierd, i have a feeling they are using the plastic liner to cover something up, as to what that is..?? i don't know.. But we were definitally not fond of the pool area. Another question is to why is the 'internet discount rate' cheaper than the 'military discount'?? i don't get that.. there is no reason why the 'military discount' means no discount. Finally, location is terrible.. comming back from the dells i missed our exit (with our GPS) twice, the hotel is not in a conveinent area, its quite a bit of a drive from the dells area as well..

If your looking for a quick place to sleep and don't care about where, this is the right place for you.. however if your looking for a nice area hotel close to the dells, this isn't it, spend a few extra $$ elsewhere..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
DaysInn5066, General Manager at Days Inn Portage, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the free passes to the Chula Vista Waterpark, as well as the free hot continental breakfast in the morning.
I would like to address the cons of your stay. We are a 100% smoke free hotel, unfortunately sometimes guests do not respect that policy and smoke in our rooms anyway. If it is brought to our attention by a guest that the room has a smoke odor we are more than happy to move the guest to a different room. We have cable television with 79 channels that includes HBO which is channel 95, however we do not have pay per view movies. Our pool is covered in a vinyl liner due to the fact that the pool walls are steel. The rate on the internet is a special 15% discount for booking and prepaying 7 days in advance and the military discount is 10%. I am sorry that you missed the exit to the hotel twice on your way back from the Dells. We are conveniently located off of exit 108A, and we are only 16 miles from the Wisconsin Dells.
If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 608-742-1554.

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Don't expect a 5 star experience for 70 bucks. In fact, Days Inn is officially categorized as a 2 star hotel. Room 111 is small with refrigerator, coffee maker and hair dryer, TV, and alarm clock. Bathroom was clean, sheets white and smelled of faint bleach, towels were clean. What more do you expect? Free tickets to Chula Vista included in stay. Overall a decent place to sleep after a long day of play at the Dells. It is also situated outside of The Dells so you don't have to deal with the bustle of things.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Daphne C,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at the Days Inn Portage.
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travelers. We are glad that you got to enjoy the Chula Vista Waterpark during your stay. Many other people also enjoy being outside of the Dells as it is quieter and makes for a better night of sleep. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
If I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 608-742-1554.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Do Not Book Here!!! Waste of money. The pool is awful, kids can't swim, they will get stuck in the folds of the liner that are bunched up in the bottom of the pool, there is a huge hole in the liner which water is going under. There is bugs all around the broken jetted hot tub. Feces on the toilet handle and a hole in the bedroom floor between the bed and the A/C unit. Our room smelled like Beer. It gave me a headache within a few hours. We had to leave. We checked out and were told we would not be charged......well no such luck we were still charged. I called and a very snotty lady told me too bad, we booked a nonrefundable room....WHAT???? I don't think so. Please if you have children and value your health don't go here. There are many other nice hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Don't Book here. Not a good value for the money. $10 a night would be a better price for this ho...
1  Thank Magnuson5
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We reserved 2 rooms here this summer however we broke down about 40 minutes from the hotel... we ended up staying at a different hotel for the night while our vehicle was being fixed. I called the hotel as soon as we broke down to inform them that we would not be comming, however since it was 1 hour past the 4:00 pm deadline... they would not refund us the money... no exceptions... I was very dissapointed that I was made to pay for a room that we never used. They told me to call after 12 the next day and that a "manager" would be in... we did, and the "Manager" was no where to be found. We left this place with a very sick feeling... It really sucks when you are down on your luck... and there are no breaks... shame on you Days Inn!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
DaysInn5066, Manager at Days Inn Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had an unfortunate breakdown . Our cancel policy is 24 hours prior to reservation. We do understand that emergency situations occur and
when you stopped into the hotel the next day, the manager on duty was happy to refund you one nights stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Days Inn Portage is an awesome places to stay. The front desk team is the best. They give free Chula Vista wristbands to the Dells. They have discounted Noah's Ark tickets. The room is clean, fresh, and comfortable.The breakfast has lots of varieties. This hotel is awesome and I would definitely COME BACK!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Comfort Suites Wisconsin Dells Area
#27 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#1 of 6 in Portage

Been to Days Inn Portage? Share your experiences!