“Great Hotel with a nice pool and good Dells deal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Iowa
“Great Hotel with a nice pool and good Dells deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed at the Comfort Suites on our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells. The hotel is about 20 minutes from the Dells, and we saved a lot of money staying there.

The money saved was nice, but the hotel itself was great. I have only positive things to say. Our room was big and clean. The staff was helpful. The free breakfast was tasty - especially the waffles. They have a large indoor pool with 2 hot tubs. It was a nice pool area.

They had a special deal for a discount at Noah's Ark. We took advantage of it and enjoyed a day there.

This is a great hotel!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 4 different times in the past year on business and it has always been a pleasant experience. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms have always been clean. Breakfast in the morning has always been above average for a hotel in this price range. I have also not had any problems with noise. All in all I would recommend this place if you are staying in the Portage/Dells area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elmwood, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

Our family of five stayed here for two nights on vacation to Wisconsin Dells. Our room was clean, staff was friendly, continental breakfast was good, and price was GREAT ($80/night plus tax). The pool was very large and there were two whirlpools. There were also two laundry rooms for those wishing to do laundry. The only negative comments we have is that the chlorine levels in the pool and whirlpools were a little more than our eyes and respiratory systems could handle and the wi-fi service was not so great. Otherwise, we LOVED this hotel. And it's just a 20 miinute quick drive to the Dells attractions and Tanger Outlet Mall. The hotel's location might be considered a bit rural for some, but it was near a few gas stations, a restaurant, Dairy Queen and Subway. We traveled on to The Wilderness and were HUGELY disappointed in our $245/night room. It wasn't half as nice (or clean) as our room at Comfort Suites. We would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

it was noon last week and i had just drove 26 hours from yellowstone park. i coundnt go one more mile. i was lucky to stumble across this place. ron at the front desk was so kind to let my wife , 2 boys ( 15 and 11)check in early. he said let the kids enjoy the pool and get some rest. AND WHAT A POOL. it was huge with two hot tubs also.i feel asleep at the pool for couple of hours and felt great.. beds were great , mini fridge , great tub and shower. place was super clean. what a nice man ron was. he deserves a bonus. then the next morning was the best super-start breakfest out of anywhere we stayed. eggs , sausage , fresh muffins , waffles , bagles , yogurt , cereal , fresh coffee , apple and orange juice. what a bargin for what i paid. thank you again ron for being so kind. i could not have driven another mile.

Lansing Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stopped here for the evening in the middle of a multi-day road trip. Check in was quick and easy, the room was nice and bigger than I expected. Everything was clean and in good repair. Beds were comfy and breakfast was standard fare, but decent selection. Over all I was pleased with my stay. Only minor drawback was on Sunday the desk clerk seemed to be working alone and was plenty busy.

Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two days. Upon arrival we were greeted by the most unfriendly front desk clerk. She was more interested in talking to her coworker than checking us in. She never smiled, never said a kind word, and made us feel totally unwelcome. When we made our reservation, we requested to not have a room that looked into the pool area. Upon check-in, I repeated that request, which was met by the front desk clerk with a roll of the eyes and a loud sigh. She then grabbed the keys off the desk and reassigned our room. I apologized for the inconvenience, but she didn't care. It's not my fault someone didn't pay attention to the request we made months ago, but to her it was all my fault. When we got to our room it was very warm and stuffy. The air seemed to take a long time to start cooling the room. We were given a room with a whirlpool, which was not something we had requested and would never use. The first thing we always do in a hotel room is remove the bedspread, which was stained. Upon removing it we found old, worm blankets with some small stains. The sheets, although clean, were worn out with many holes and tears in them. There was peeling wallpaper in corners and stains on the ceiling in both the bathroom and the main area of the room. The whirlpool tub was dirty, full of dust, and stained. There was a sticky spill on the table and a glue-like substance on the vanity. I was able to clean up the table, but not the vanity. The bathroom appeared clean. I went down to the front desk and requested two flat sheets to put over the blankets. The clerk was again unfriendly and huffed and puffed as she went to get my sheets. When I told her I needed them because I always cover hotel blankets, she rolled her eyes, shook her head, and acted insulted. I do want to say that the late afternoon, evening clerks were very nice, friendly, and helpful as was the clerk who checked us out. The breakfast is pretty good, but the scrambled eggs are terrible. They are overcooked, hard, and rubbery. My biggest complaint is that neither of the breakfast people pull their hair back when preparing and serving food. It's disgusting to find a hair in your food, and I did! I also found it pretty unappetizing to see that plates, cups, and some boxes are stored in the men's bathroom. I don't know if there's a storage room in there or what, but that's not where you expect to see paper plates stored! During our stay, I came to notice more cleaning issues at the hotel. The lamps and lights were full of cobwebs. The window sills were filthy and the rails for the windows were either covered in dirt or mold. Some of the drawers had stains in them and the carpet leaves your clean, white socks dirty. The couch was so stained, I wouldn't sit on it. The rugs in the main lobby are dirty and stained as is some of the furniture. This hotel needs to do a deep cleaning and then maintain it better. The pictures on the website show a beautiful, rustic hotel. This hotel is rustic, but far from beautiful. Also, this hotel is pretty far away from town so don't expect to get anything delivered or to find a restaurant nearby. The closest thing is a truck stop across the street with a Subway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoadTrip4
MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

Came to portage to stay instead of staying right in the dells to save some money. Only a 15 or so min drive from the dells. We did not know before hand, but you can get your dells tickets from the hotel, and at a much better rate! We were pleased to do that. saved us quite a bit. I have stayed at numerous hotels, and this one had the biggest pool by far! It also has 2 Hot tubs. We stayed in a suite, and it had a door to our room that we could close for privacy. The fold out couch was just fine for the kids. The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom is small, but the space in the living area makes up for that. There is a nice table where you can sit and eat dinner- we Stayed for 4 nights, so we did eat in. It has a fridge and micro, and the breakfast buffet has hot breakfast as well as cold items, such as yogurt and cereal, ect. Has the nice waffle makers which my kids loved. The tv has very many channels. has free HBO also. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would say the only drawbacks are 1. very old gym equipment- only has 1 treadmill and one weight machine and 1 stairclimber. Very dated. The only other draw back was the noise from the semi's - there is a truck stop across the street and they come and go all night long. I brought a fan along, as I always do, but this still awoke me a couple of times. I was able to fall right back to sleep, so it would not deter me from staying there, but it is a fact that needs to be shared as some people may not be able to fall back asleep after jake brakes wake them up! Overall, a nice property,very clean throughout, with a nice , helpful staff- which means a TON to me! Also, a very reasonable rate-which also means a lot. I would recommend and would definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#15 of 72 in Wisconsin Dells
Quality Inn & Suites

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!