“Excellent food, service and unique cool decor”

Beanies Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Beanies brings a little bit of Mexico to downtown Port Washington, WI. Our secret to success is simple: delicious, fresh Mexican food served in a fun and family-like atmosphere. We are known for our great salsa, GRANDE margaritas, and authentic Mexican cuisine. Come and swing at Beanies!
“Excellent food, service and unique cool decor”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We found Beanies by searching TripAdvisor for the closest Mexican food restaurant to our home. It was only a 30 minute drive and I'm so glad we made it. No sooner did we receive our Margaritas at the bar when a table was ready for us. We ordered Guacamole made table-side. The young man that made it was so personable and made possibly the best guacamole I have ever eaten. Our order was taken quickly but we were given time to enjoy our appetizer before our dinner came out - perfect timing. Our server was attentive and our food delicious. The best part of the evening was sitting at the bar after dinner talking to the owner. We enjoyed hearing about the history of the building and the thought process that went into the unique décor. We learned that the owner's daughter created much of the artistry throughout the bar and restaurant - it is a beautiful place - very talented artist. The owner was genuinely interested in our experience and really made us comfortable. He thanked us for coming, invited us back and gave us some special salsa to take home - after he heard me say that I like spicy salsa. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant. We had a great experience. We will be back many times! Oh - and we each got a $5 off coupon on our way out - a Cinco de Mayo - special.

• Visited May 2014
Marcia E, Owner at Beanies Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thanks for stopping by, Katie. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us, and I appreciate the glowing review. Hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon! (Until then, enjoy that salsa!)

Marcia, Owner

Port Washington, Wisconsin
“Not very good anymore”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I live in Port Washington. I haven't been to Beanies in a while and thought we would try it again. I am sad to say that I felt the food was really bad. I should have said something but what would that do bring but bring us more bad food? I swear all our food was microwaved!!!! The beef definitly was the worst it felt like it had been cooked then microwaved than cooked again. The chimicagas were boring and had a little dab of cheese on it. My drink the Island Paradise I swear didn't have any alcohol in it! It took a long time to even get chips and they seemed stale with no seasoning on them! The queso was good but for 7.50 I could have made better at home. My son's cheese quesadilla had not one spot of brown (like it should be if it's cooked on a stove) on the tortilla I swear it was microwaved also! My fish tacos had no flavoring and was suppose to come with a lime butter sauce. The lime in the sauce tasted like it came from the lime juice you can buy in the stores it really tasted cheap! I hope you guys can get back to what you used to did years ago and stop cheaping out your customers...Our waitress was OK but seemed young and kept forgetting about us and the things we asked for. I even had to share a fork with my husband because she forgot the sliverware I asked for! Yuck..yuck and yuck we will not be coming back.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank shellmilwaukee
Consistency is one of our top priorities, so it's truly disappointing to hear you feel our quality has slipped. That said, we appreciate your honest feedback and will be sure to share it with our kitchen staff. (For the record, we use only the freshest ingredients and would never microwave anything or use jarred lime juice.)

Since you've enjoyed eating with us in the past, we hope you won't write us off completely. We're confident we still have what it takes to show you a delicious meal and a good time.

New Lenox, IL
“Great staff - good food.”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Decided that we didn't want a "sit down" 2 hr dinner, and went to Beanies. Great atmosphere and even better waitress. Had the table side guacamole - very good. Strawberry Margarita was also very good. Chicken Fajitas had a lot of flavor. Would definitely return.

• Visited April 2014
Marcia E, Owner at Beanies Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thanks for the review! Impressing our customers with tasty Mexican food and friendly service is always our goal, and it's great to hear we did just that when you came in. Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Good Food!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Excellent mexican food but watch the chips and salsa, they are so good you will fill up on it and get full before your main course gets to you. I Recommend Beanies!!!

Visited September 2013
Marcia E, Owner at Beanies Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thanks for the 5 stars, Mark! It's always nice to hear from a satisfied customer. The next time you're in Port Washington, you know where to find us!

Madison, Wisconsin
“Not at all impressed!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Port Washington for the weekend. We were looking for somewhere to have lunch and were told by friends that Beanies has swings as their bar stools. Before we left the hotel room I looked up the menu and were very excited about the menu. The bar did in fact have swings (which is neat!)

We were greeted by probably the most unfriendly hostess I have seen in a long time. Then she took us to our table and said that she would be our waitress, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt (everyone has bad days.) I ordered the Fully Loaded Burrito with Shrimp and my boyfriend ordered the beef chimichangas. It took a looooong time to get our food, there was only one other table in the restaurant and we don't mind if it takes a while but this was a looong while probably 45 mins. Then when the food finally came it wasn't good. My burrito was just a tortilla with re fried beans, rice, lettuce, some tomatoes, and some little shrimp in it. It was supposed to have avocado, pico, and sour cream in it, it didn't even have sour cream on the plate. I could have gotten a better burrito at taco bell. Since both of our meals were insanely bland we needed hot sauce. There wasn't any on the table and our "very pleasant" waitress was no where to be found.

Not a fun experience, not only was our waitress rude and unpleasant but the food wasn't good either. We will not be back or recommend to anyone.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Harder1984
Marcia E, Owner at Beanies Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
We work hard to wow our customers with delicious Mexican food and warm, attentive service, so it's disappointing to hear your visit was such a letdown. That said, we appreciate your constructive criticism and will be sure to have a word with our front-of-house and kitchen staffs. It's never too late for a training opportunity.

The next time you're in Port Washington, we hope you and your boyfriend will consider giving us a second chance. We're confident we have what it takes to impress you.