“Quaint, comfortable room”

The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed on the upper most floor (3rd) in the NE corner (room 307). Nice view of the lake, St. Mary's church and downtown. Our room was cozy, extremely well furnished, and very comfortable. This 1910 building has been refurbished extremely well. All the woodworking, decorations and furnishings are beautiful though, not been a "home", it is different than the traditional bed and breakfast. We enjoyed the quaint little bar on the main floor and visiting with some of the other guests. Breakfast is brought right to your room in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cary S
There are newer reviews for The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We reserved a specific room for our anniversary weekend. One with a corner fireplace. When we arrived, we were taken to a different room smaller without a fireplace. When I showed Joe the email confirmation sent from them listing the room I had reserved, he told me it was already occupied. His only solution to the problem was to offer to refund my money. Not acceptable. We have a tendency to go back to places we like. I won't go back to the Port Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike F
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The room was beautifully furnished and immaculate. Typically with older hotels..slightly worn is the norm. Not with the Port Hotel..our room was beautiful...I felt we were the first to stay there. The staff was friendly, the restaurant charming. The restaurant decor was cozy. Dinner was delicious. There was a good selection to choose from. I had the special. Very well-prepared and a reasonable price. Breakfast in the room was very good and generous portions. A WONDERFUL Surprise...We will definately stay at the Port Hotel again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: We did not have a view, but the room was very large.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank B L
Reviewed August 29, 2012

It was part of our second anniversary trip. We had to wait beyond the 3PM check-in, about 20 minutes. But after that, it was a great experience. The room we had was unusually spacious, with a beautiful mantel/fireplace and a king bed. We ordered breakfast-in-bed, with an early delivery of coffee. The wait staff was prompt, efficient and courteous. Impressive! We also dined in the hotel restaurant. I'm always leery about salmon at a new place but I need not have worried. Perfectly cooked, served with a dill/caper/onion sauce -- excellent! And the coconut cream pie -- oh my. I'm convinced it was a scratch recipe. A few blocks from Lake Michigan and an historical property beautifully restored!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JAP1952
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We ate dinner on the 1st night we stayed, the service in restaurant could of been better. We ordered, got our salads right away, but had to wait for a while the main entree. It was annoying. So we finished our OK dinner, we asked for the bill. We had to wait again for that! The waitress was busy serving an empty table, she was frantically getting a "Empty" table salads, waters, etc. Meanwhile we still had to wait a while, that was to longest dinner I ever had at a restaurant. They either need to hire more people to serve, or just not have one person wait on so many tables at once.
As for the Hotel, I have a lot to say, it was hard to make the reservation, due to the fact that NOBODY was ever there to ANSWER the phones, when I did get through it was fine making the reservation for the two nights. Again since I had the LIVING SOCIAL VOUCHER, I wanted to try some place new. Since I looked up the area, being close by the Harbor, I for sure thought this would be a nice place to check out.
The room was very nice, the Shower is very big, just hard to figure out how to turn on. Having breakfast every morning in the room is included. Just if they are going to continue to that, they should have a place to eat the breakfast, because there's a desk with only one chair. My suggestion is to have another chair in the room, in most cases it would be a couple staying in one room. If you ever want to contact "Front Desk/Customer Service", be ready to keep calling. We just figure out that just keep calling down the line, since it's a bed & Breakfast Inn, not enough help. My suggestion is to have the phone calls be directed to where some is, so the phone would be answered at all times. I just think, it's ridiculous for a client to search for people that work there, when they should be accommodating to us. Oh, the bed in not properly on the stands, we had to call to help fix it and level the bed. It should of never happen. They should be more aware of their services and be more friendly and more welcoming. As this makes a difference of people visiting the town again or not. I see why there were a lot of empty stores in the main downtown center. We will most likely not stay or visit this place.

Room Tip: It's hard to contact people their, so just keep go down the list, until you get a live person. A...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I spent one lovely night at The Port Hotel. The reservation system seems a little shaky as the online method initially yielded no response and then the next day came back with a "no room at the inn" type message. In the meantime I called and left a voicemail which was returned later. The room we received was a significant upgrade from what we'd asked for so our review is slightly biased. The room (307) was huge, very well decorated, with a hot tub in the bedroom, and on a corner so there was a view. Very comfortable. I told my wife we should have stayed there at the end of our trip as now she would be spoiled.

Check in was different. The owner went through a checklist of common sense items, however seeing him actually complete a checklist and mark off each item as he discussed it with us was unusual. Then we were asked to sign plus initial in two spots the "contract" for our stay. I can understand the owner wishing to maintain this lovely property, but it was a different approach. There is no elevator and the stairs are steep, The stay comes with a breakfast, and that led to a misunderstanding. The owner, who showed us around our room pointing out the idiosyncracies, advised us to fill out the room service menu to receive breakfast in our room. This is the first time I've ever stayed in a hotel or B+B in which the ONLY way to get breakfast is via room service. Not understanding that we headed for the dining room only to find the door locked. We did find our way to the kitchen, threw ourselves on the mercy of the staff, and they quickly allowed us to eat in the dining room. The breakfast was not your usual dried pastry and hard eggs, but a beautifully prepared full American breakfast including a fan of melon, orange, and pineapple. If and when we return to Port Washington I would stay here again and commend the owner for the quality of the room we had.

Room Tip: If you are able to climb stairs while lugging your stuff ask for a room on the top (third) floor for...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry D
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've stayed here three times with my boyfriend. It's always a pleasant experience. The staff is wonderful and accommodating. The price can be expensive, but they often have deals on Living Social. The town is adorable. It's not lively, but great if you like walking on the pier. There's also a wine shop across the street which has tastings. The food is great and drinks are very reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back!

1  Thank Sara T
#1 of 1 in Cedarburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Grafton
Comfort Inn & Suites. Grafton-Milwaukee
Baymont Inn & Suites Mequon Milwaukee Area

Been to The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn? Share your experiences!