“Nice but confusing”

Port Hotel Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lake in the Hills, Illinois, United States
“Nice but confusing”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We spent last nite here at the hotel... the rooms are up one or two flights of extremely steep stairs..it might be a consideration for some. Our room was lovely and squeaky clean. We were on a Living Social voucher so dinner was $20.00 off @ the restaurant so we stayed in because it had turned rainy and cold. We both ordered the Stillwell Steak and were told they were out, but would be happy to prepare us ribeyes the same way for the same price...$20.95 each...later we realized that we had paid $31.57 as a total...plus we left an $8.50 tip. We can only figure that they charged us the $24.95 price of the ribeyes or maybe they had already added the tip ...so eithe way we over paid, but had no recourse becuse the restaurant was closed the next morning and the place was deserted,! Our walk to the beach and around the harbor was great tho

• Visited August 2012

Naperville, Illinois, United States
“Longest Dinner ever”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The service was extremely slow, they need more servers. So that we could get a more friendly service. Food was just OK.

Visited July 2012
Ahoskie, North Carolina
“Customer Service Lacking”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We visited the Port Hotel restaurant for our anniversary on July 31. Based on the negative experience we had, we will not come back.

Our night began with quite a condescending, older waitress, who obviously was working for the sole fact that she needs an income. She asked us what we wanted to drink when we sat at our table, and when I asked her what the house wines were, she said, “they are right on the drink menu if you open it to the wine list”. I thought this was over-the-top rude that she could not recite 4-5 wines off the top of her head, and that she was not gracious enough to do so.

We began our meal with peel and eat shrimp, and although it was presented nicely, it was well over-cooked. My husband wanted to order Beef Rouladen, which was listed under the “Specialties of the House” section of the menu. The waitress then told my husband they were out of it. Well, we were seated at 6:30 pm, and it was hard for us to believe that they would be out of a house specialty so early in the night. So, he ordered the walleye instead and I ordered the sauerbraten. My husband’s fish was flaky enough, but lacked any type of flavor. The meat on my sauerbraten contained layers of fat and tendons, and was not prepared in the true German style. Throughout the meal, the waitress did not stop by once to ask how we were doing, nor to refill my wine glass. When she finally did come by to clear away some dishes, I had to ask her if I could have a refill of wine.

At a nearby table, we heard another waitress ask that group “Do you need an appetizer?” Asking somebody if they “need” an appetizer, in my opinion, is insinuating that one should just be eating an entrée, and not ordering an appetizer. Do we need one, no, would we like one, yes. A very odd way of trying to sell (or not sell?) an appetizer.

To sum it up, we found the attitude of the waitress to be so patronizing that we felt humiliated. She did not bring one ounce of warmth to our experience. With the food being only mediocre at best, we will save our money and go someplace else next time.

• Visited July 2012
Port Washington, Wisconsin
“Always good!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have never had a bad experience at the Port Hotel. It is a little pricey but it is worth the price.

Chicago
“Great service with so-so food”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We got a deal through Living Social to stay at The Port Hotel with a $15 credit at the restaurant. The restaurant seems to cater to the over 50 crowd in both menu options, decor, music and pricing. The service was great, but the food was so-so. My garden salad came drenched in dressing and my husband's fish was disappointing. Though we will certainly stay at the hotel again, we will skip the restaurant.

Visited March 2012