“Avoid Room 327”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Port Washington
Lake Tahoe
“Avoid Room 327”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed in Room 327 last weekend (June 21 - 24). The toilet has a clog which needs a professional plumber to repair, but instead the hotel is relying on using a plunger to unclog, which works temporarily. Do not stay in this room unless you don't mind plunging the toilet every day.

My first morning I told the hotel desk clerk the toilet was clogged, and she handed me a white plastic plunger in a nice case. This plunger is cheap and doesn't work, but will drip dirty water from the last place it has been all over the floor when you open the case, adding to the ick factor.

What I learned from this experience is don't let the desk clerk leave it up to you, the "guest" to unclog the toilet, especially when they won't provide you with a plunger that actually works. Not sure why they want a guest to have this experience, it was unique from every other hotel I have ever stayed at.

If you do get this room, there is a public restroom on the first floor near the breakfast room.

This hotel is now non-smoking, which is great, but Room 327 still smells like stale cigarettes. One reason might be that the carpet has not been replaced, as evidenced by two big burn marks in the living room area (this room is a suite).

If light bothers you when you are trying to sleep bring a clothespin as there is a gap in the curtains and a bright streetlight outside.

This would be a nice and convenient hotel to stay at, if you can overlook the ick factor and general grunginess of the rooms. I was staying at this hotel for a large family event and no one else mentioned a clogged toilet, so the other rooms probably have functioning toilets.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 327 unless a plumber has been called in to fix the clog.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tahoedewey
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room and the inattentive service of the desk clerk.

We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites standards and to address the service breakdown that occurred. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Oxford, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hotel is newer and pretty well kept. There is plenty of parking and the location right off the highway is pretty good. I had a room overlooking the front parking lot on the 2nd floor far enough away from the elevator that I wasn't bothered by any noise. I had a living room, kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. The room was spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. I like that I was able to control the temperature in the bedroom! However, the lighting in the living room part of the room (no windows) was pretty bad and it was dim and dark in there, not a place you'd want to spend any time. Plus, my room only had 2 chairs as opposed to a couch. The breakfast was good, lots of variety, typical of this type of hotel. The bar was perfect for our family to relax at night. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Pros:

Room was clean, bed comfortable (in our opinion), microwave and fridge in room, staff great, nice pool and jacuzzi, decent variety for breakfast (we stayed during the week and they had french toast, sausage, waffles along with several other breakfast items), short drive to Lake Michigan, 3 minutes away from interstate (we had a room facing it and couldn't hear it at all) 25 minutes away from downtown Milwaukee, located in a nice safe quiet area, gym, game rooom, and it was so nice to have a hotel that check out was at noon!!!

Cons:

None

We booked this hotel for a recent trip to Milwaukee. We had checked around for hotels in the immediate Milwaukee area and we saw either high prices and/or mixed reviews on hotels. Nothing that sparked our interest no matter how close it was to what we were looking to do. So I decided to check a little further north of Milwaukee (as we were coming from north of Milwaukee) and came upon this one. Read the reviews and noticed that a lot of the bad reviews were older and the good reviews were newer. We gave it a shot and it didn't dissapoint as per my pros above. We definitaley will stay here again. Plus we got a courtesy call from the front desk about 15 minutes after we got to our room asking us if everything was to our satisfaction and if there was anything else they could do to make our stay more enjoyable, something small but greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertXLV
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bed was wonderful . I hate when you are paying to sleep at a place and the bed is uncomfortable.

We arrived around 9 pm so we unpacked and went to the hotel bar. The Bartender was wonderful. Would be nice if they could have the Juke Box fixed numerous people tried to play music but it was a challange. Appeared this has been an issue for a prolonged amount of time. Really it is easier to make money on an item that works.

Nice breakfast- Sausage, Cereal, Waffles, fruit, etc.

We would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The only thing I can complain about is the bed. They are not comfortable and they need to be replaced. The staff were excellent, the hotel was great, breakfast, it was super. The rooms are wonderful, and were spotless.

• Stayed January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed three nights and the hotel met all of our expectations. The room (with 2 queens) was clean and roomy and we appreciated the table with two chairs, easy chair, microwave and fridge. The breakfast went beyond most free breakfasts, with hot entrees that switched every other day, plus the usual cold items. In my mind, they went above and beyond by using real silverware and dishes. Although the front desk staff could not help when we had trouble connecting, using their wi-fi, they referred us to someone who could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Another trip to Wisconsin led me to another highly reviewed Country Inn and Suites. Again, I was not disappointed with my choice. The hotel is located only a few minutes off of I-43, right on the county highway I needed to get to my meeting the next morning. I arrived late in the evening, but the front desk service was top notch. A young girl was being trained, but even with that, she got me checked in faster than is often the case. Nice work.
The King room was very large and spacious. My only complaint there was a desk chair that I couldn't raise above the lowest height setting. Hopefully they will get that addressed.
As some have pointed out, the breakfast room is a little tight, but as there were only a few cars in the parking lot, it wasn't an issue. Breakfast itself was a surprise with rosemary roasted potatoes accompanying the eggs and sausage.
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the hotel website, but there is a sports bar attached to the hotel, which might have been nice if I didn't have such an early start the next morning.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the front of the hotel and away from the interstate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Motel 6 Saukville
Motel 6 Saukville
#1 of 1 in Saukville

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington? Share your experiences!