“Nice but no cigars”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Port Washington
Des Moines, Iowa
“Nice but no cigars”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The only thing I can complain about is the bed. They are not comfortable and they need to be replaced. The staff were excellent, the hotel was great, breakfast, it was super. The rooms are wonderful, and were spotless.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed three nights and the hotel met all of our expectations. The room (with 2 queens) was clean and roomy and we appreciated the table with two chairs, easy chair, microwave and fridge. The breakfast went beyond most free breakfasts, with hot entrees that switched every other day, plus the usual cold items. In my mind, they went above and beyond by using real silverware and dishes. Although the front desk staff could not help when we had trouble connecting, using their wi-fi, they referred us to someone who could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Another trip to Wisconsin led me to another highly reviewed Country Inn and Suites. Again, I was not disappointed with my choice. The hotel is located only a few minutes off of I-43, right on the county highway I needed to get to my meeting the next morning. I arrived late in the evening, but the front desk service was top notch. A young girl was being trained, but even with that, she got me checked in faster than is often the case. Nice work.
The King room was very large and spacious. My only complaint there was a desk chair that I couldn't raise above the lowest height setting. Hopefully they will get that addressed.
As some have pointed out, the breakfast room is a little tight, but as there were only a few cars in the parking lot, it wasn't an issue. Breakfast itself was a surprise with rosemary roasted potatoes accompanying the eggs and sausage.
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the hotel website, but there is a sports bar attached to the hotel, which might have been nice if I didn't have such an early start the next morning.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the front of the hotel and away from the interstate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Being a member of Club Carlson, our preference is to look for a Country Inn & Suites in places that we visit. This hotel is convenient to Interstate I-43. We love going to Port Washington and this hotel is not very far from the lakefront. People are accommodating and nice - but I missed the freshly baked cookies. What this hotel is now serving are commercial cookies, maybe, store bought cookies from the grocery store. It has a huge conference room, so people have been using this for shower parties for weddings or other events. When we visited early in the Fall, there were so many guests - and during breakfast, people were waiting for coffee, and other stuff that they served for breakfast. I would suggest that when they are hosting guests for some events, they should hire more staff so that there will be no line waiting for food during breakfast. Also, during our stay there, the internet was down many times. We were on a business trip and had to use our computer but....it was difficult when the internet was always being disconnected. I like Country Inn and Suites. Please keep an excellent standard - and when you do...people who stay at your hotel would tell their friends...It will be good promotion for the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lina086
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Took a long weekend that we were hoping to stay in Door County but all the decent places were booked so started looking south, could have done Green Bay but thought Port Washington might be worth a try. Once settling on PW then thought the Holiday Inn down by the water and that was booked too! So booked the Country Inn and it turned out to be a great alternative. We've stayed at these before in the MI U.P. so knew what to expect. The room was a suite with King and living room, very comfortable but earthy furnishings, mini fridge, microwave, lots and lots of space. Only a short drive to downtown and a few restaurants. Typical breakfast but this place gets quite busy, they had some kind of banquet going on when we came back to the hotel and only a few open parking spaces. After going out to dinner returned and a few spots opened up closer to a convenient entrance so everything worked out OK. These all offer more space than other chains so worth a look, especially when traveling with 3 or more in your group. Had fun up in Door County as this was our starting point and as our starting point for our return drive home was only 2 hours instead of 4 so it was great!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel seems to be under new management. Everything was reasonably clean. The bathrooms have been updated since my last stay.

Quirky part.... the coffee pot shares a counter with the microwave and one needs to move the microwave to plug in the coffee pot. I found a home for the coffee pot on the bathroom counter.

Best part, when the bathrooms were updated the switches for both the light and the fan are now separate. I am a closed door kind of person and you guessed it I didn't hit the fan switch hard enough and the fire alarm went off as the result of a steamy shower.

Quickly realizing what had happened and opening the door the alarm soon went silent. No one came to check, which was great...I think. Feeling rather foolish and vowing to be more careful the next morning. You guessed it, the next morning it was someone else's turn. However, it wasn't quite as non-eventful and the result was people running up and down the hall very agitated and yelling about evacuation. The commotion went on for about 2 minutes. Perhaps this is a common situation.

The Hot Tub seemed to be well maintained and was great. Pool was nice with plenty of towels and a nice size area.

Hotel not as spruced up as it once was...hanger laying in the elevator for two days???

May I ask what was that cold 4 inch round yellow disk surely not an egg? I had to bus a table before I could sit down. The breakfast area is certainly large enough but not an area to linger. The boxed hard cookies offered in the afternoon hardly fit the definition.

The price was about right. Really delicious restaurants nearby Harry's can't be beat.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise. I have to admit I am accustomed to city traffic but if you are sensitive req...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Livonia, MI
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The inn is located at a quiet freeway interchange. None of the usual fast food suspects that seem to be at every stop on the freeway, so you'll need to go into the city of Port Washington to eat.

The breakfast consisted of the usual hot and cold items with a special surprise - real china plates, cups and real silverware. You don't find that at too many hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Motel 6 Saukville
Motel 6 Saukville
#1 of 1 in Saukville

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington? Share your experiences!