“Made a Skeptic out of a Believer”

Port Washington Ghost Walk
Port Washington, Wisconsin
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Made a Skeptic out of a Believer”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I really wanted to like this tour. Badly. I'm one of those people that watches every paranormal show out there, and have visited some of the most haunted cities and places in the nation (i.e., New Orleans, St. Augustine, FL, etc.), and have even been fortunate enough to have had experiences at some of the locations (i.e., The Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, LA.) I've been a resident of Port Washington for about 3 years now and was so excited to learn some of the history behind the "haunts" my little city had to offer. Despite my relative newcomer status to the city, my family is friends with a couple of people who either volunteer at, or own, some of the featured stops on this tour.
While our first few stops were interesting enough, the tour soon took a turn for the worst. I'm not sure if we just had a bad guide or what, but at the 4th stop, the names of the people involved in the story were interchanged with the names from the story told at the prior stop. Pretty soon, every stop involved experiences with people either named Joe or Lindsay. In all of my conversations with my family's friend, during which I expressed my interest in the paranormal, did she mention any of the alleged experiences at that location.
The guide lost all credibility in my mind when we came upon the 5th or 6th stop, a location owned by a family friend's former wife. I'm not sure if the story was true, but I do know that the details of the owner (i.e., name, circumstances of their arrival in the community, etc.) were untrue. Again, I'm not sure if the guide was new and hadn't committed the stories to memory, if they were nervous, cold, or just a bad storyteller, but we waited for a few more stops, noted that each stop had the same exact story, and left the tour an hour into it. If you're looking for accurate historical information (such as the alleged tunnels under the city, of which I could find no evidence) or legitimate stories of the paranromal, I suggest you look at taking another tour. The stories we heard wouldn't spook anyone over the age of 8.

Visited October 2012