“Unique location - older but still nice”

Holiday Inn Port Washington
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Washington
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Unique location - older but still nice”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This property was originally a Best Western and converted to a Holiday Inn. In the early 90's a new section was added where all of the nicer rooms which face the Port Washington Lighthouse and harbor are located. There is a nice indoor pool and whirlpool, a small fitness room, and a restaurant and bar all on the lower level. The pool overlooks part of the harbor.

You are right downtown and there are many restaurants and shops to explore within close walking distance.

The hotel is well maintained but starting to show it's age on the inside. We were told that a major refresh was going to begin next year.

They have an arrangement with a local 24hr fitness center, which is about two miles away. That is a nice plus for those who do not want to miss their workouts while travelling. I have used the facility several times and it is new and well equipped, but a little small for a full-service gym. For runners or walkers there are nice options close by to include running along the Lake Michigan Beach.

A walk out to the Lighthouse along the breakwater is a must do it the weather allows.

The views of the Harbor are wonderful if you are in those rooms.

Room Tip: Lake views rooms are larger and have nicer bathrooms, some are Suites. The second floor used to be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vamaddog
HolidayInnHarborview, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Washington, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful and descriptive remarks about our hotel. We are pleased that you are a returning customer and really enjoy our hotel and city. We hope to see you coming back again and again!

Sincerely

Richard Tiedt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I knew going in that it would be the most costly of the local hotels because of its "Location" however who ever owns this franchise has milked it dry. The carpeting appears to be 40 years old and so do the bathrooms it really wasnt very clean either.

Room Tip: Stay inland at a brand new facility one exit to the south on the freeway, then drive into Port Washi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tce13
HolidayInnHarborview, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Washington, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear tce13,

We are sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay at our hotel, we do try our best to keep our hotel updated with the things in the rooms and are working our way around the hotel. We do pride ourselves on being a very clean hotel and to hear that you did not find that in your stay, will make us work that much harder. I will let our housekeeping staff know of these issues you have brought up to us.

Thank you for your comments and concerns.

Sincerely

Travelers are raving about these Port Washington hotels

Reviewed November 10, 2012

For $100/night plus $25 extra for my dog, I expected a nicer hotel. The location is great, being right on Lake Michigan, the views are wonderful but inside the hotel-it needs some up keep. Our room was on the 2nd floor-I didn't look at other floor but I'm sure due to having the dog-we got put on the "less kept" floor like I've noticed in some other hotels and I don't like it one bit. Anywho..the layout of the facility is uninviting, decor needs updating, and the beds were hard and had no support, and the heater in our room squeeled. The pool/hot tub was great but when you look up, there are rooms of some sort overlooking the pool and some looked real trashy, they need to put blinds on those windows and close them. The staff was friendly but the housekeeping girls were pushy with wanting to get in our room to clean it on check out morning. Even caught one listening at our door to see if we were still in there! Having said all this, I probably won't be staying here again, unless the cost was half the price.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the lake-make sure you ask for it or you"ll be staring at other buil...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jgmotorsports24,

First, off I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your comments. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant stay with us. Our hotel is trying to keep our hotel update the best we can, but unfortunately you are right that we only allow pets on certain floors, and those floors tend to see the ware of our hotel. We do have to keep pets to certain floors for other guest in the hotel.

Second, to address your room needs, I will make sure that our maintenance department is aware of the heater in that room, we have been taking out our older models and putting in new units, but the only way we know if they are working or not is to get the feedback, we are glad that you have let us know so we are able to fix that problem.

As for the beds, Holiday Inn has a standard on how the beds need to be and we meet those standards above and beyond for the quality of mattress but I will make sure that it gets check out again to ensure the next guest a comfortable night sleep.

Third, I am extremely sorry for the way the housekeepers were acting, they know that they should never make a guest feel like they need to leave before they are ready. I sincerely apologize for their behavior and will make sure some sort of action is taken for better guest service.

We do truly regret that these different events have impacted your experience at our hotel, and hope you can reconsider staying again.

Johnsburg, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The view of Lake Michigan is great, the hotel is right next to the lakeside park and walkway. Also in the Port Washington downtown, very pretty with church steeples on the hills makes the city look like in belongs in Maine. Every thing was good about the hotel except for one thing, there were toenail (or fingernail) clippings on the floor between the twin beds. I guess someone forgot to vaccum, the rest of the room was clean. If you stay here be sure to request a room with a vie of the lake.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bill G,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel, and that you loved our town just as much as we do! You are very corrected in saying that our town has great sights and a view of the lake that can be breathe taking at times!
I want to apologize for the uncleanness of your room, we really do pride ourselves on being a very clean and tidy hotel. I will let our head housekeeper know of this situation, so she is aware of what happened.
I do hope that you come back again and enjoy our lovely town and hotel.

Phoenix Azizona
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I come up to Milwaukee about twice a year for meetings. I came across this hotel on the IHG website a few years back, before I had stayed farther south around Brown Deer road in Mequon. Port Washington is about 20 miles north of Milwaukee, just off I-43.The Holiday Inn in Port Washington is at the Marina in town, just off Lake Michigan. It's an older 5 story hotel that is well kept up. The staff has always been great and the rooms are very clean. Many of the rooms have mini-friges and microwave ovens. The wireless internet has worked well in every room I have stayed in.

They have a small restaurant in the basement. This trip the breakfast was excellent and not expensive. There is also an outdoor patio area. Port Washington is a quaint city and there are many places to eat within a few blocks. You can walk out to the lighthouse, which is about a 1/2 mile walk from the hotel. During the Summer they are usually sold out weeks in advance. If you want to stay in a hotel on Lake Michigan, this place is great.

Room Tip: East facing rooms have a full view of Lake Michigan. Rooms facing north have a view of downtown and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnHarborview, Manager at Holiday Inn Port Washington, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We would like to thank you for being such a value customer to our Hotel. We appericate all the kind words you had to give us about our property. Thank you for choosing us, and can not wait to see you again!

NJ
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our last hotel on our 10 day trip.
What a view!!!!! Our room was on the 5th floor with a view of Lake Michigan and what a way to wake up each morning to see the sun rise!
The hotel is not new; I think it was a Best Western or Quality Inn before. It was a hotel picked by the bride for the family from out of town to stay in for the wedding. There isn't much to chose from in Port Washington. The staff did seem ready to help but not ready for the amount of people that came in at one time. We came back one night late and could not get the women's attention for information for the next day. My husband had to call me loudly from the front door before she realized I was at the desk saying loudly "excuse me".
The parking was not always available on the port side of the building and with a truck that can be an issue. Parking on the city side was hard to maneuver at times.
The room was clean and we had the whirlpool tub which really helped this tired traveler. The bathroom was large with a stand-up shower, whirlpool tub, toilet and sink.
The furniture had some issues; you could tell this is a fisherman's hotel. There were knife holes in the pull out couch and arm chair in the room. Someone forgot that they had a knife on them when they sat down.
The bed was comfortable and the room was very large with pullout couch and work area. There was a sink between the beds and bathroom which did help us when someone was in the bathroom using the sink.
The pool was nice but an odd location; next to the bar with windows looking into the bar, yes that ment they could see you too.
The triangle whirlpool was different but very nice. The jets were very strong and helped my feet that were very sore from all the walking I did around town.
The restaurant was under staffed for the week; one cook and one waitress each day. We warned her before we left to prepare for the next day due to our numbers growing each day until the wedding. The food came out slow and we helped ourselves to extra sugar/water/napkins as needed. She was very friendly but overwhelmed.
They also have washers and dryers for guests to use and that came in very handy for us being on the road for so long.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnHarborview, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Washington, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your view of the lovely Lake Michigan. It is just a wonderful view to wake up to every morning! It is also great to hear that our staff was helpful, sorry with our third shift staff with their attention, they need to also remember customer service skills too, I apologize for that. I also understand the frustration with the parking lots, it is hard because of where our hotel is located. For your future stay just let our front desk staff know and they will give you permission to park on the street, so you do not have such a challenge.
I am glad you enjoyed your big room it is one of the favorite rooms in our hotel. We are sorry about the furniture! I will let our maintenance and housekeeping staff know of those tears, so repairs or replacements are done.
Nekoosa, Wi
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for the third year for our annual family reunion. Let's start with the room, the room is average size and was very clean as was the bathroom. The bathroom is very small and the tub drained very slow which seems to be a problem in older hotels. It's not a new hotel but one of the original hotels in Port Washington that the Holiday Inn purchased some years ago. We rented a conference room in the lower level for our family reunion which was very adequate. The location is perfect, right next to Lake Michigan by the harbor/marina, Spectacular view. The property itsself didn't disappoint me, it was the staff that I thought could have used some customer training. When we checked in the girl couldn't find our reservation, you might of known this was the one time that I left my confirmation number at home. She said not to worry as they had plenty of rooms although they told another party earlier that they only had one room left. The next morning I double checked as I didn't want to get double billed and the new girl at the desk said my first reservation was canceled and I would only get billed for the one I made when I checked in. We never canceled, I think they needed a room with two queens on an earlier reservation and canceled ours because we were only able to get two doubles when we checked in. Now to the bar on the lower level which I realize is leased but reflects on the hotel. The girl behind the bar was the least interested in making any money. She spend most of her time texting or flirting with the younger guys at the bar. No personality whatsoever. She couldn't wait for the last person to leave to lock the door. We will probably book again for next year as there's very hotels that have a lounge, restaurant, pool and let's you bring in you're own beverages and snacks.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the first floor next to the main street, noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port Washington, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear DSchmidtNekoosa_Wi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found our hotel a perfect location for your annual family reunion. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Washington House Inn
Washington House Inn
#1 of 1 in Cedarburg
Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to Holiday Inn Port Washington? Share your experiences!