“Back on track!”

Ray Radigan's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have been going to Ray's for several years, and found it a wonderful experience. Much like the previous poster, I did notice a decline in service and consistency of the food.

However, we decided to give it another try recently. Am very happy to report that I'm glad we did so.

Chrisitan, our server, was friendly, efficient, and attentive - knowing just the right time to appear, refresh drinks, clear away plates, and bring the next course.

The meal was fantastic, back to the old standards. From the soup, to the oysters rockefeller, to the entrees (I heartily recommend the shrimp de jonghe!), the meal could not have been more delicious or perfect. As for the au gratin potatoes ... heaven in a little crock of cheese and spuds.

I was also happy to see the dining rooms filling up with large parties of famiies as well... seems more folks are "rediscovering" Ray Radigan's as well.

In all, I highly recommend this gem of a supper club, whose neon sign advertises "Wonderful Food." I'm happy to report that it's certainly truth in advertising.

Check out this lovely vintage restaurant, beginning with a classic cocktail in the bar. The steaks and seafood are all excellent here. Meals come with soup, salad, and choice of potato. I recommend the oysters rockefeller appetizer very highly. Oysters are broiled perfectly. For entrees, the New York Strip is always delicious. Seafood is tops here -- the whitefish, shrimp, or scallops de jonghe are sweet and delicious. If au gratin potatoes are on the menu, don't hesitate to get them. Top off your meal with one of their decadent desserts and coffee ... in a world of Starbucks, you can almost forget what a good cup of coffee tastes like.

I'd recommend reservations for weekends.

Check them out for the first time, if you haven't. And if you haven't been there in a while, give them another try. Your taste buds will thank you.

2  Thank CreoleTomato

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I have gone to this restaurant for over fifty years and I think it has never changed. If you want a remarkably good dinner that is the place to go.

1  Thank kaychen
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Radigan's for 30 years. Up until just a few years ago it was one of the best restaurants in the area and very popular. Reservations were necessary even for 5 pm Saturday. However, about 5 years or so ago, we noticed a decline in the quality of service and hospitality and we stopped going there a couple of years ago.

Last night we decided to give them one more chance. We arrived at 5 pm on Saturday night. The place empty. We were the only customers for about 20 min. We used to enjoy their extensive selection of premium wines, personally selected by Mike Radigan. The waitress didn't even know the varietals they offered, didn't offer a wine list. There was a card on the table listing three "featured Argentinian wines", so I ordered a Malbec. I can buy a better Malbec at the supermarket for $10/bottle than what I got for $8 a glass (which didn't have a stem.) Then they brought one small piece of bread and a dish with used butter on it. There was a chunk missing from the butter and grooves that matched the serrations of the knives on the tables! Oh, missing was the wonderful complimentary relish plate they used to start the meal with. I noticed that you can still order it for $4.50/person. The menu stated that dinners included soup, salad, and entree, starting at $16.95 for the roast chicken. I ordered clam chowder, vinaigrette on the salad, and the pepper-crusted pork chop $18.95. The soup was good. But both of our salads were what we agreed tasted "flat" and looked institutional. And then the waitress brought the entree: a lone piece of meat on a large plate. No vegetable, no garnish. The baked potato was served on a separate plate on the side. My wife's crab cakes were served bare too. The entrees were well-prepared, nevertheless, and tasted good - in spite of their naked appearance. We left very disappointed, never to go there again. Mike Radigan was there last night, came near us once while ordering a busboy to do something, but he didn't acknowledge our presence. That didn't happen in the old days. Sad, very sad.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Fine dining with linen-covered tablecloths. Great steaks. Great service.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Had dinner with family (four of us...).
Pros...
Food and drinks were good. Priced a little high but not too bad (I don't think the prices on their website match up with the menu, everything seemed higher priced. Example, the scallops were 22.95 on the menu but I think the website menu said 18.95.

We had crab cakes, shrimp and scallops. Everything was hot and tasty.

The facility is clean throughout. Even the parking lot was well plowed from the snow the day before.

Cons...
I appreciate a wisconsin supper club as much as the next guy but the dinning room we ate in was cold and sterile.

This is a minor thing... I don't like it when wait staff pours my beer. I admit I'm a little picky about how I pour my beer, just personal preference. I ordered a beer and it was served with a regular 12 oz beer glass. Before I could grab the bottle or even ask her to stop... She basically turned the bottle upside down generating a full glass of foam with maybe a third of the bottle poured. No big deal, I waited for the foam to settle a bit then I started to drink what was in the glass so I could salvage the balance of the bottle. I turned away for a second in conversation and damn... she quickly moved in and did it again.

In general, she was very attentive, but at times she stepped over that line related to touching things on the table that you are fully capable of handling yourself... Example, she moved my reading glasses several times during the meal, not because she needed the space for a place, she just grabbed them and moved them to a different location??

Anyway... sorry for the rant on the beer and glasses it just stood out for me.

If you like wisconsin supper clubs this is good one close to the state line.