“Breakfast was below average”

Super 8 Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie
Reviewed March 28, 2009

As checking in, had to wait 10 minutes for someone to wait on me. Doors to the office wide open(after dark when checking in). I did'nt feel secure, there was Semi-trucks running on the side of the building. Reception girl acted as I was boring her, to check in. She had to check the room first, and then came back and said that room was being remodeled. Good Clean room though, bathroom and linens were clean and organized. Overall the room was great. But not impressed with Breakfast. Have stayed at numerous Super
8's in the past and seen better Breakfast facilities.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie

Reviewed July 30, 2008

Pretty sketchy, but mostly just old. We were really only at this site for maybe 10 hours, pretty much just to sleep. Had we not been so tired, we might have tried to find somewhere else after seeing the sketchy lobby and all, but really it wasn't so bad. The room was fine, just old, and the bathroom was old but clean. I wouldn't want to stay a weekend or anything, but just as a place to sleep on a road trip, it was okay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Driving a long trip for a funeral we had to find a place to stay. It looked clean from the outside and that was it. As we walked to our room we just got more and more scared. The room smelled, the cable did not work, and when we called the front desk - they said they would send someone up. Well, they did and the guy just walked into our room without knockiing! oh ya - the chain lock was broken also. We slept in our clothes because the bed smelled funny and in the morning we still had bites on our ankles. We went down to see the compimentary breakfest and I am not kidding - a loaf of bread, a jar of jelly, and a slab of butter. Needless to say we did not eat. When we tried to complain the clerk at the front desk did not speak english and handed us a 1-800 # card to compain.

Horrible horrible Horrible!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2006

My husband booked our room through Orbitz. I’m not sure if it was the way he ordered it or a mistake on Orbitz’s end, but we received our confirmation for a Queen Smoking room with special instructions for it to be a non-smoking room. I called before we left to make sure it was a non-smoking room and that it would be a late check-in. I was informed that there was a room available and that our check in time would be fine. I also asked for extra towels to be in the room when we got there. I was also told that it wouldn’t be a problem to have them there.

We arrived at the Super 8 and my husband went in to get the keys. I waited in the car with our infant daughter. He came out and said that the only non-smoking rooms available were King rooms and that it was $10 more. He accepted it and I did not have the time or energy at that point to deal with it. I was never told on the phone that we would have to take an upgrade to get the room. Any time I have traveled, if the room that I requested was not available, I received the upgraded room at the rate at which I was quoted originally.

We went to the room and my husband unloaded the car while I took care of our daughter. While examining the room I noticed a metal bar with a sharp end sticking out of the box that was holding the mattress. The bar was not the frame at the base of the bed, but about halfway in from the end of the bed and stuck out about 4 inches. I talked it over with my husband and we decided that we did not want to deal with moving all of our stuff again and just wanted to get our daughter to bed. I wrapped a hand towel around the sharp end to help prevent injury. It was at this point that I noticed that there were no extra towels. I went down to the front desk and asked for extra towels and received one. I also asked for a “Do not disturb” sign because we did not have one of those either. I wanted a sign because I did not want housekeeping to have to clean our room. With our daughter and all of her paraphernalia it was a bit cluttered and I did not want to have to subject them to that.

While we were getting ready for bed we noticed that the stopper in the tub was lying on the back of the toilet in pieces and that overflow plate was hanging on by one screw. At this point I was ready to really start complaining, but it was late and I was tired. I just wanted to sleep. We sucked it up and went to bed in probably the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept. We spent most of the night tossing and turning and trying to keep the bottom sheet and the mattress pad underneath us because it wasn’t a fitted sheet. It was a flat sheet folded under. We also woke up around 11 to the sound of happily screaming girls in the parking lot. They sounded like they were in the room with us because the air conditioner did not fit properly in the wall and there was about a quarter inch gap at the top leading to the outside.

The next morning when we were getting ready to leave we noticed that while we did get free HBO, Discovery, etc. we did not get the local channels. We wanted to watch the news and weather before we left for the day. I went down to the continental breakfast. The choices were slim. The counters were not stocked. Guests were left to fend for themselves to figure out where the bowls and napkins were located. I grabbed some coffee and a bagel and went back to the room. We left and I took my husband to his meeting. My daughter and I came back I laid her down so she could get some more sleep and I started up my laptop to get the free wireless internet. There was no wireless hot spot in the room as was advertised on the web page. After my daughter’s nap, she and I left for the day. I took the “Do not disturb” sign off of the door because I did not want to have to deal with trying to get the bottom sheet back on the bed and was hoping that someone would realize the tub was broken and fix it. We got back to the room around 11 at night. The bed was made; however, the tub was still broken and the dirty towels had not been removed, although clean ones had been left. The garbage in the bathroom that contained a dirty diaper had also not been changed. I had no way to give my daughter a much needed bath. She needed sleep more than she needed to wait for someone to fix it, so we cleaned her up the best we could and put her to bed. I think the only reason that we slept was because we were so exhausted that we could have slept on a pile of rocks.

The next morning, the continental breakfast was a little better. There was actually some fruit. The fruit, however, was green and brown bananas in an oversized giant metal bucket and was difficult to reach. They were inedible anyway, so I skipped them. It was a little busier on Sunday and the breakfast was stocked a little better. There was however only one two slice toaster. There was a relatively long line, so I skipped the toaster and grabbed orange juice and coffee and headed upstairs. I don’t know how old the orange juice was, but it was pretty bad.

We packed up and headed out. My husband went in to pay the bill. When he came out with the receipt I was absolutely furious; however, we had places we needed to be so I did not deal with it then. The room rate was $64.99 which is what was quoted on the web. The $10 upcharge was listed as a miscellaneous fee. This says to me that there is no $74.99 room rate in the computer. Had this been a business expense for which I was getting reimbursed I would only have received reimbursement for the $64.99. The other thing that bothered me was the $1.00 charge per day for Service Gratuity. Had I wanted to leave the housekeepers a tip, I would have left it in the room. I have traveled for business from coast to coast in many different motels/hotels, a couple of which were 5 star establishments. I have never been charged a Service Gratuity. I spent 7 years in the food service industry and never just included a Service Gratuity out of hand. If a gratuity had been added, it was for a large party and the guests were informed before the bill was presented. I do generally tip housekeeping staff. In this case, their service was less than mediocre, so I did not. Even so, the manager or whoever closed our room would not know whether one was left.

I know that if I don’t bring a problem to the manager, they don’t know that something needs to be fixed. Had it just been one or two things, I would have said something. If I had the time to deal with all of the issues, I would have said something. We had a long, tiring weekend with enough things happening that we did not have the time or energy to deal with the problems from the stay in this establishment.

After sending a letter of complaint to the corporate office (some of the text which you see here) the site manager called me back in half-interest of what she was doing. She hadn't read the letter and mumbled excuses under her breath as she was skimming through it on the phone with me. Things like, "I keep saying that, but it's falling on deaf ears" to the fact that they charged $1 gratuity. She was also holding conversations with other people while on the phone with me. It is obvious that this hotel didn't care about any of the complaints. They said nothing about fixing any of the things that were broken and seemed resolved to live with the poor accommodations and service. They did not apologize once for anything that happened. They did offer to deduct the Upcharge and the $2 service gratuity and offer to refund 20% of the stay.

I wish I had taken pictures.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MappingGeek
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My mom and dad and I stayed here for a birthday party. I was hoping for a hotel pool, but there was no hotel pool and my dad had already checked us in. Well, I thought that I would be fine as long as I was extremely tired, and I could watch TV. We got to the room (last room left, smoking, YUK!) and turned on the TV. No kids channels whatsoever! I'm wonderng what the kids can do at this hotel??????? Nothing really. If I had a kid, I wouldn't stay here, but that's up to the parents so come here if you want! But, this place is good for business travelers!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I vowed to write this review after staying here a year ago. Unfortunately I didn't get around to it until now. This place is terrible. It was dirty and not kept up well at all. The door to our room was opened with a metal key which seemed OK at first until we realized later that the door did not automatically lock when closed. I definitely did not feel safe here and wished we had not spent the night here!

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank Jen V
Reviewed October 31, 2005

I waited for 15 minutes for someone to come to the front desk and check me in. I almost left, but the clerk came just as I was about to. The outside side entrances to the hotel were not locked at all, so anyone, guest or not, could walk in. The hotel is dingy in general and the halls smell musty. The storage closet in the hall was open. The room it self wasn't too bad at first glance, but when I went to get get the ice bucket, it had crumbs in it! Not just a little bit either. It looked like someone had been eating some kind of salty snack in it! Yuck! I was too tired to bother with it so I went without ice. When I went into the bathroom to take a shower I saw that there was a large hole in the ceiling above the shower head. The inside of the hole was black and moldy and generally disgusting. I went without a shower too, and left early in the morning, refusing to spend another night there.

• Stayed: October 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pleasant Prairie
La Quinta Inn Pleasant Prairie Kenosha
La Quinta Inn Pleasant Prairie K...
#3 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie
Best Western Executive Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
DoubleTree by Hilton Pleasant Prairie Kenosha
DoubleTree by Hilton Pleasant Pr...
#1 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Super 8 Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie? Share your experiences!