“Bacos???????”

Canyon City Wood Grille & Sln
Ranked #49 of 87 Restaurants in Pewaukee
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was part of a large group that "always goes to the Canyon City restaurant" after a concert. I can't speak for many others, but I was very disappointed. Yes, the group was large, but the waitresses could not keep orders straight and I, among others, went to the bar ourselves for beer. Their beer selection is quite extensive and the bar tender, as mentioned in other reviews, is wonderful.

Now - on to the food. I ordered 'potato canyons', which were potato skins with bacon, cheese, etc. The bacon turned out to be Bacos. Bacos???????? In potato skins? Who does that? This place does. The person across from me ordered chili and had to send it back and try something else as there was so much salt in the chili that he could taste nothing else. His wife tasted it and agreed. A previous reviewer remarked about the very plain burger and the person next to me got exactly that. Heck, a local bar and grill gives you the works and whatever dressing other than mustard and ketchup (which are on the table) you want for less.

I personally don't think this restaurant is worth the relatively high prices I saw on the menu. I will probably go back after the next concert when the group goes, but I certainly will not order the Potato Canyons or chili. I will not go on my own.

There are newer reviews for Canyon City Wood Grille & Sln

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have been to Canyon City several times and have never been disappointed before, but last night was somewhat of a letdown. My family and I originally planned to go to Olive Garden but were informed there would be a 2-hour wait. We chose CC, because, as I mentioned, we had not been disappointed before. There was almost no one else in the place when we went, even though it was around 7 p.m. on a Saturday night, but it worked to our advantage as our waitress had plenty of time to take care of us. There were 5 in our party. We ordered drinks and an appetizer to start. Two in our party had a frozen Hurricane, one liked it and the other didn't. The rest of our drinks were great. Appetizers were good, nothing special. Of our 5 entrees, we had one sandwich, two orders of ribs and two orders of chicken. Between the 5 of us we had either chicken dumpling soup (very good) and tomato tortellini soup (only so-so, according to my husband). The person who had the sandwich raved about it, the two people who had the chicken said it was good but slightly dry (white meat only) and my husband and I had ribs. He also had 3 shrimp with his. Verdict: Shrimp, very good, ribs only OK. They weren't completely done and had to be cut off the bone. We took home the leftovers and even after reheating were still not done. The flavor was good, though. I have had their ribs before and ordered them this time because they have always been great! Also, I ordered garlic mashed ptatoes and they looked like potato soup - sort of a pool of potatoes, way too runny. The baked potatoes, I was told, were very good. Our waitress, as I mentioned, was super, at least until 2 other large parties came in. She seemed to be the only one on duty so was running around and could not get back to us as quickly as in the beginning, but had a great personality and overall really seemed to enjoy her job. The bar filled up while we were eating and was rather noisy but in a good-time sort of way. Unfortunately, for this visit, I could only give CC an Average. We will return, hopefully to better food next time.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

It's hard to give this restaurant even an "average" (which is 3 circles) because it's sub-average for what we are used to, but if you consider fast food, this is a step above that. I ordered a burger with fries and that’s all I got. No lettuce or even a pickle! Just the meat, a slice of cheese and a dollop of the “special sauce” in a basic bun. The meat was actually very good – consistently cooked all the way through and juicy. The fries were very basic as well; crisp and hot, but basic. My husband ordered a chicken sandwich and besides the meat and cheese, it had some sauted bell peppers and onions.

It was not very busy and yet we had to wait a long time for our order – about a half an hour; and while it probably wasn’t the waitress’s fault, she didn’t even comment on it or apologize for the wait.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

For those who are interested, my detailed version of this account is below. For those looking for a quick summary, simply skip down to the last paragraph.

I went to this restaurant with my girlfriend for a friday fish fry. As for the atmosphere, the first thing we noticed when we walked in was that the bar area was the focal point of the place and the people in it were being very loud. The restaurant portion almost seemed like it had been added as an afterthought.

We both wanted the fish fry. They had an all-u-can-eat fish fry available for $13.25 as a special (it was not listed in the menu but it was posted on a sign near the entrance) but we were hoping to get regular servings (not all-u-can-eat). We asked but were told that was not available so we both had to get the all-u-can eat. A soup or salad was included as well as some bread. I had the soup (chicken and dumpling - Manhattan clam chowder was the other option) and my girlfriend had the salad. The soup and the bread were both decent but nothing special. The salad was fine (but I think it's pretty hard to screw that up too badly).

This is where things went downhill very quickly. It took nearly half an hour after those first items showed up to get our fish. The service tends to be subpar in all-u-can-eat situations in my experience (I used to pig out on them all the time when I was a teenager) for whatever reason but this was ridiculous enough that I can't imagine it was intentional. I have no idea what the issue was but I did see several staff members, including our waitress, standing around talking several times while we were waiting. At no point did the waitress stop by our table to explain what was going on and at no point did she ever apologize. Finally, when we were just about ready to lay a five on the table for what we had already eaten and walk out, our fish showed up. It came with a side of a potato (I believe we both chose fries) and coleslaw. Again, all of the food was decent but not great. The breading on the fish was not excessive and the fish was nice and flaky but there was just no flavor whatsoever. It was supposed to be beer battered but it certainly didn't taste like it. That said, it wasn't bad. I just wasn't in any way impressed, particularly not given that it cost $13.25 in a restaurant with the atmosphere of the back room of a bowling alley. To the waitress' credit, she was quick about getting us some additional fish after that (since we were paying for all-u-can-eat, I determined to at least eat more than I usually would). But then she disappeared again. Eventually another woman, who was likely either the owner or the manager, came over and got us more fish. She also eventually brought our bill and was forced to do this with several other tables. She seemed to care much more than the waitress did but offered us no explanation or apology. I will also note that although both of us finished our drinks fairly early in the evening, no refills were offered at any point (neither of us thought to ask but this is something they usually do automatically).

The bottom line is that the food was decent but not worth what we paid for it, the atmosphere was definitely not in line with what I would expect from a restaurant charging what this one did, and the service was terrible. It seemed like this particular waitress was genuinely disinterested in her job. The manager (or owner, I'm not sure exactly who she was) seemed to care more than the waitress but it should never have gotten to that point. She clearly knew there was a problem or else she wouldn't have been taking over for the waitress but she didn't appear too contrite about it. I don't know if they were have an off night or what but I will not be going back to find out and I don't recommend that you do either.