“Yummy Louie's Special and nice screened in porch”

Butler Inn of Pewaukee
Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Pewaukee
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

While the place screams 70s disco era or early 80s at best - the food is just fantastic. Greek - but high end Greek (don't think pancake house) Louie's signature filet is OUTSTANDING - and the Greek salad is yummy too. The only thing that would make it better would be if they warmed the bread....

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have eaten at the Butler many times, and there is a reason for that. It's great. Compared to a high end steak place in a city metro or a major "prime" steak chain, this place is a great value! You just get so much more. Compared to a quality Midwest or Great Lakes area supper club, they are competitive with the best and an equal value.

The Food:
I'd love to tell you I've tired more of the menu, but the affectionately known "Louie Steak" is just soo tasty that I can't get anything else. I have had bites of other menu items, like the fish, which was great, and all the sides like the onion strings, saganaki cheese platter (which is quite the show/experience if you have never ordered it), and others have been outstanding.

Environment:
It's a supper club and "Inn" style restaurant, not a chic designer celebrity chef hype machine. So if you know what your getting yourself into it's as pleasant as they come given the style. It's low key and casual, but you'll find people in suits and dresses. So classy, but not uptight. The private group dining area upstairs is great if you have a large group. One reviewer felt turned off by the pull tab cigarette machine near the bar. I have never smoked, but find it a quaint antique, because certainly no one is smoking indoors anymore, so whats the issue? Lots of restaurants have "non-functional" kitsch or objects that serve historical purpose. Sports bars have vintage pinball machines and steel tip darts, designer sushi places have koi ponds. Supper clubs have fancy old brandy decanters and pull tab cig machines. Know your environment, and this place fits right in. Love it.

Service:
Professional, personal, and welcoming. Great people, I always feel like a "guest" and not a customer. This alone speaks volumes. The service here is just much more personal that I get at major chains. This place really has the supper club vibe and that is what I love about it. You will not be disappointed.

I travel a lot professionally and eat out A LOT. I never waste my time writing reviews for "average" or even "good" restaurants, I eat at plenty of them. My restaurant reviews are reserved for genuine 5 stars only. This is one.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I had time away from the kids and decided to drive around Pewaukee Lake to find a new restaurant that we hadn't tried. We ended up at Butler Inn. When we walked in, although the atmosphere was nice, it smelled a bit dank and stale like a wedding hall. We decided to eat on the back, screened in porch. It had charming atmosphere, with white lights, and completely bug free and shady. The waitress was friendly and helpful. We both ordered soup and rib eyes - DELICIOUS!! It's not cheap, that's for sure - but worth it! I couldn't eat the delicious looking bread that they put on the table because I am allergic to sesame (it had sesame seeds on it), so the waitress and kitchen went the extra mile to prep some warm, fresh chiabatta triangles for me and they were delicious! We couldn't fit in dessert - as it was, we took leftover ribeye home with us. We'll be back for sure and I intend to send out an email to my friends letting them know that we recommend it!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My parents and I came down to the area as they have raved about this place numerous times. Ample parking is great, along with some patio seating available. However, inside it's a fairly typical looking place with few, if any, distinguishable features.

I tried their mojitos which were really good, but the food itself is what made this place so great. Albeit pricey, the steak really just melts in your mouth for the most part. Their chicken rice soup is great, and their cheesecake dessert with strawberries was rich and terrific.

Service-wise, our server was pretty good about keeping tabs on us, and a separate server kept the water glasses full the whole night. However, the front hostess was a little quiet and not as friendly.

For the value, I've had smaller steaks with poorer quality for prices not too much lower than here. I certainly couldn't afford to come here too often, but for a great steak I don't think I've had any better. Not necessarily the most romantic place to go, so just come for the food!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Always excellent service and great food. The specialty is steak and they have a variety of options. The atmosphere is a little dated but the restaraunt is comfortable and you can actually hear the other people at your table. The prices for drinks and food are on the higher end.