“Wow! what happened?”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Wow! what happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I use to come to this restaurant and it was one of my favorites. Do we have new owners? The quality, the menu, and the dining atmosphere has changed. I was there on a Sunday afternoon 5pm. Only two customers. I noticed that the floor was dirty, the seats are ripped and taped over with duct tape. We ordered a dinner for three, I wanted to pass on the sweet and sour pork, because it is usually fatty. I was told no exchanges, We ended up throwing it away, it was fried to point of being unedible, actually everything we ordered( egg rolls) was overly fried. It was like eating cardboard. The soup was greasy( fried rice soup). No vegetables on anything!!?. The reason I order Chinese food is for the vegetables, No vegetables?. No happy family on the menu. The waiter was always rushing me, wanting to take something away, before I was finished. Maybe he was doing me a favor. I even asked, are you closing? The Bus boy, looked like he changes tires in the back, dirty and unkept. I would have to say, this place holds the honor of being the worse restaurant that I have ever been to. I would hate see what the kitchen looks like. I will not be back.

• Visited March 2013

River Forest, Illoinois
“Still a wonderful surprise (Updated)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I re-visited Peking House in November, 2012, and found that its level, despite some reports to the contrary, has remained very high. Avoid the buffet (which is served at lunch) and ask for the menu. They used to have two menus, an "American Chinese" menu, and an "authentic Chinese" menu. Everything is now combined on one. But that one is filled with genuine, authentic Sichuan dishes. The kitchen is clearly Sichuan, though they do offer good dishes from other provinces as well. The spicy dishes are really spicy - liberal use of chile peppers and Sichuan peppercorns assure that - the meat is of good quality, as is the seafood, and the vegetables are fresh. This is a surprise because it looks like a typical Americanized Chinese restaurant, located right next to a Denny's by an exit of an interstate, and instead it turns out to be a truly authentic, high quality Sichuan restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Chinese food we've found in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

They don't deliver but would highly recommend carry out. Excellent food and nice portions

River Forest, Illoinois
“A Complete Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Peking House, in Pewaukee, WI (not too far from Milwaukee) looks like a typical roadside Chinese buffet of ordinary quality. And indeed, they offer a buffet with food that has been sitting too long on the steam table. However, you can ask for a menu, and have lunch or dinner prepared from the menu; they have two menus - "American Chinese" or "Authentic Chinese." The "Authentic Chinese" menu turns out to be a stunning Sichuan menu. The owner and chef are from the Sichuan province, and this rivals the best Sichuan restaurants in New York and Chicago (and, for that matter, Chengdu). The Boiled beef in spicy sauce is fiery and authentic, and so is everything else on that menu. You would never suspect it from driving by, and if you didn't ask you would never know it, but the "authentic Chinese" menu makes this a hidden gem. My wife and I have eaten here about a half dozen times, and have never been disappointed.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Henry F
“THE LO MEIN WAS SPAGHETTI NOODLES”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

These people are cutting corners because business is bad. There were very few customers. We ordered pu pu platter for two and didn't get everything stated on the menu. The crab rangoon was missing crab (only cream cheese in there).
My husband ordered house lo mein and got spaghetti noddles with vegetables - very little meat in there.
Service was slow - had to ask three times for a soda refill.

• Visited May 2011