“Nice hotel, sub par service”

Holiday Inn Pewaukee
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pewaukee
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while attending Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI. Location wise, it is a quick drive to Brookfield, Waukesha and Milwaukee as it is right off of 94 (but considering it "west Milwaukee" is a stretch - it's about 15 miles to downtown.)

The hotel itself was clean and quiet, decorated in somewhat dark Frank Lloyd Wright style, and seemed well maintained. The facility itself was average, although a bit overpriced for the area.

The downside of our stay was the staff. At check-in, the employee behind the counter seemed flustered and short in conversation, did not welcome us to the hotel or the area, and seemed agitated when I told him the information he had listed for the room type was incorrect. Also, the price confirmed to us at check-in did not match the price we booked the room for online, but the employee had no response when I asked about the rate. At check out, as a courtesy, I told the employee at the desk that we were done in our room, but instead of saying "thank you for staying with us" she said "do you need anything else from me?". The serious lack of customer service make us question if we would return to that hotel even though the facility was in good condition and clean.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces the back in the event you want to open your window - this way you face the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pewaukee, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear TimmyF_406,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I highly appreciate your compliments on our location and overall layout.

On the other hand, I am truly sorry to hear that the service you received from our front desk staff was less than satisfactory. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of service.

This is definitely not a standard in our hotel as we always strive to delvier the highes customer care. With this in mind, your comments will certainly be looked into and make improvements where possible. Any feedback is welcome, good or bad, as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests.

Dhan M

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Pewaukee

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel for my reservation. The clerk (who I later found out was the assistant/associate manager, see below) at check-in provided me with a room that had a king sized bed and a desk. When I showed the clerk my reservation confirmation showing I had reserved 2 beds, executive, non smoking, he told me that was just Holiday Inn's suggested room type. I have stayed at Holiday's Inn's all over the country, numerous times and I have almost always booked my room in advance online. In the online reservation I am always given a choice of what room I would like to reserve. If I wanted a King bed with a desk, I would have chosen that option. When I asked the clerk to switch me to a room with two queen beds he notified me that there none were available. When I asked to speak to a manager, he told me that he was the assistant or associate manager and there is nothing that can be done. I returned to the room, called Holiday Inn's corporate 1-800 number, spoke to the appropriate person who informed me they would speak to the Manager (I believe her name was Mary Belle) and inform her of what had happened. I was very surprised to hear that there was actually a Manager on site as the, from what the man at the check-in desk told me, HE was the assistant/associate manager. Based on the attitude of this man at the check-in desk, which was condescending and obnoxious, I immediately made reservations at another hotel as I needed a room with two queen beds. This is regrettable because my main preference is to stay at a Holiday Inn whenever I travel. When I went down to the front desk to ask for Mary Belle and inform her that I would be cancelling my stay, she then informed me that there was a room with two double beds!!! I am completely outraged that the man (assistant/associate manager) told me that none were available when I pointed out that he had made a mistake of not providing me with the room type I reserved. I will never even consider staying at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee-Milwaukee West again and I have plans to travel to that area often for business in the upcoming months. I have never been treated like that in the countless amount of times I have stayed at Holiday Inn's all over the United States. I am hoping Holiday Inn investigates this man's attitude towards their paying guests. Although I am only one person, if I treated my customers the way I was treated by this man, I would be out of business

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jill A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pewaukee, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Jill A,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience in the hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced with our front desk staff and your reservation. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Please be assured that your notes will be shared with the staff involved in the processes for taking the appropriate actions. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Lera P

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was our first visit in the area and Holiday Inn in Pewaukee was our first choice. Friendly staff, reasonable price and location were the positive points. What we didn't like was the food, with a poor choice of dishes and quality also not at the level we normally would expect. Something to improve.
Over all a nice experience.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We enjoyed staying here several years ago when it was a Radisson and were most relieved to see that the brand change didn't change the experience. The main thing I love about this hotel is upscale lodge feel and the fact that the rooms have a central air on the wall type of thermostat instead of those awful under the window units that are like having a motor cycle drive through you bedroom every time the heat or A/C kicks on. No breakfast is a minus, but why would anyone want it really when there is a great restaurant like the Mechanics Shed just across the way.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Pool is very nice. If you do not want to be awakened at 7 am, be sure you do not have a pool view room. On the second floor, its rooms 240,242, and a few others. Otherwise, we liked the pool view. Its also loud before it opens, I am assumed it was the filter system that sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. Beds were fine. Bathrooms very roomy. Thunder Bay is not attached but a 15 second walk ouside. We didnt eat there but it looked very cozy. We also didnt eat breakfast at the hotel so we cannot comment. Coffee is served in the lobby, wish we'd have known that. Not sure if it was free, or for a fee.

Front desk staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: Pool Rooms are 240, 242. Your window looks out over the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon pulling up to this hotel, it is obvious that this was not always a Holiday Inn. It looks nicer than what you'd typically expect! The desk staff were friendly and efficient, and the lobby and bar area are beautifully designed and beckon you to stay a while. I've got to say, after staying in many Holiday Inn's and HIE's over the years while traveling for work, this is the nicest one I've ever stayed in. The room was nicely appointed, very spacious and modern feeling, and with flat screen HD television. It overlooked the pool area, which fortunately was quiet during our stay, but the curtains would not totally cover the side of the window at night and required propping a suitcase there to block stray light from streaming into the room...minor inconvenience. Upon asking, I was told only the whirlpool suites had a fridge. It did have a coffee maker. The bathroom was honestly the only one I've ever seen at a Holiday Inn with a standing shower, no tub. This was wonderful!! It was very large, stone and glass, and had TWO opposing shower heads!! Only time I've ever seen that in a hotel of this type / price! The room did have sleep number beds (Select Comfort). I personally like these and have two at home. I like being able to adjust the firmness / softness of the mattress, although the controls to do so needed extreme pressure on the well-used buttons. Wifi in the room had a decent signal on the middle second floor room I stayed in, and the speed was decent. A computer was also available in the lobby area for those needing one. There is virtually nothing in the immediate walking area around the hotel other than the Machine Shed restaurant (good comfort food, highly rated), and the hotel's own restaurant next door. However, you're only a few minutes driving from anything you'd want in Waukesha, Brookfield, or Milwaukee. In coming back to the Milwaukee area in the future I'd be hard pressed to find a better hotel anywhere near the price for this one. Its in a great area of town, in a safe area, and convenient to just about anythiThis will be my first and only choice here if rooms are available. Great stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank frosty5
Michael M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Pewaukee, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We value your business! We hope you stay with us next time you are in the area!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

On Sunday night, the hotel was apparently hosting a wedding reception on the first floor...immediately below my room. For 3 straight hours from 9pm to 12am, there was blaring music that made it absolutely impossible to sleep. I called the front desk and they said it would be going until midnight and all they could do is move me to a different room. This being at 10:30pm with both my husband and I in our pajamas, we said no. How ridiculous it was that we weren't told of this earlier in the day or even at the beginning of our stay. Clearly this had been scheduled and yet absolutely no respect or consideration was given to the other guests. If someone would have simply advised me of the party and given us the opportunity to move in the middle of the day, I would have been fine. Instead, they waited until guests were upset before anything was communicated or offered.
My husband is a business traveler that has just started coming out to the Pewaukee area and will be traveling here weekly for the next 18 months. We were planning on staying at this Holiday Inn and advising his team to do the same because it is so close to the office, but now have told them to specifically avoid the hotel. We will not be staying here again nor will they. I loved the look of the hotel, but hated the service.
We were also supposed to get free breakfast with my husband's status and were told we'd have to pay $9.99 for their buffet (which didn't look all that appetizing to begin with). So instead we had to request a mini-fridge be brought to our room (which they did accommodate) to put milk in -- that we had to go out and buy for daily cereal breakfasts. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the event lounge!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pewaukee, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Kylie P,

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review. I am pleased that you liked our location. I deeply apologize that your stay was negatively affected by the noise levels at the hotel. I assure you your feedback of our property will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pewaukee
Wildwood Lodge
Hampton Inn Brookfield
#1 of 13 in Brookfield
The Country Springs Hotel
Home2 Suites by Hilton Milwaukee Brookfield

Been to Holiday Inn Pewaukee? Share your experiences!