“Great breakfast”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Fun atmosphere, like the little store in the front lobby. We've had so-so dinners here, but never had a bad breakfast. One time we took guests there for breakfast and had a pretty big table of people and everyone was very happy.

Visited November 2013

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Good Ole Down Home Cookin!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My wife and I ate at The Machine Shed in Pewaukee this past week. As other reviews have mentioned, the Machine Shed is quite a bit like a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Both restaurants offer unique gifts in their gift shops upon entering the restaurant. If you're waiting for a table, doing a little shopping or just looking around helps to pass the time.

We went on Friday evening around 6:30 pm and it was quite busy, especially with Lent in full swing. People in Wisconsin love their Friday night fish fry so we expected it to be busy. Our wait was only about 15 minutes even with how busy it was. The restaurant is fairly large with with at least two dining rooms and a large bar area.

Food: The menu is quite large with a good variety of items to choose from. One things for sure, you will not go home hungry after your meal! The portions are very large plus it comes with the "fixins" which is served family style and includes coleslaw, warm cinnamon apples, homemade potato salad and a basket of bread.

I ordered the Beef Brisket which was good. Not the best brisket I have had but still very good. (See my review for Maxie's for the best brisket.) Three large strips of beef brisket was more than enough meat plus you have a choice of potato. I had a baked potato as my side but the choices were many including sweet potato fries, baked sweet potato, potato pancakes etc.

My wife had the all you can eat "fish fry" which is done in a unique way here. Most restaurants will bring you more fish (when it's all you can eat of course) but of the same kind of fish. At the Machine Shed, you can have all you want of any kind of fish. Want baked, pan fried or deep fried? No problem, any way you want it and as much as you want. With all the food they bring you before the meal, chances are pretty slim you'll be ordering extra fish anyway.

Service: The service was very good. Super pleasant "male server" (being politically correct) was there for anything we needed. All the servers wear "denim overalls" so you get the idea of the atmosphere. The manager also came by to check on our meal and see how everything was. Any employee we came in contact with was very friendly and looked like they enjoy their job.

At the Machine Shed, you get the feeling of a very down home place. It is very unpretentious so you feel welcome upon entering the restaurant.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Machine Shed. For a down home, warm family atmosphere with quality food, try the Machine Shed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Just make sure you go there hungry because there will be a lot of food served!

• Visited March 2014
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Midwestern Mini-Chain”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

There are just a few Machine Shed restaurants in the upper Midwest. This one is in Pewaukee, a western suburb of Milwaukee. This restaurant reminds me of the Cracker Barrel chain, complete with gift shop, but without the Southern focus. The best of my meal was some outstanding thick and creamy potato soup. The rolls were fresh and really good, and tucked away at the bottom of the bread basket were a couple squares of super tasty Allspice flavored cakebread. The entrees for myself and my friends (fried chicken, BBQ brisket & a green salad topped with chicken slices), were satisfying, if not approaching gourmet level. Serving sizes were dauntingly massive. This was on top of "fixings" for the table which included the aforementioned rolls, and large dishes of coleslaw and cottage cheese. You get your money's worth here. Service was a bit discombobulated, in that our waiter was very late in appearing to take our orders, but others on his team filled in for him and got our drinks, bread, appetizers and soup to us before our head server's ultimate arrival to take our entrée orders. In the end though, everything was right on time. The would be a good place for a family looking to get its money's worth of food at a restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
Livingston, New Jersey
“Nothing special”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Read the reviews. They definitely oversold the quality of this place. I felt it was a step below Cracker Barrel. I tried the signature pork - - it allegedly won some prize. Let me tell you, it was so basic, so plain, so bland, that must of been a prize given by people who do not know really good tasting pork.

• Visited February 2014
Mhoaglin, Brand Manager at The Machine Shed, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
I am sorry your experience at our Pewaukee Machine Shed was not up to our standards. Please email me at mhoaglin@hoari.com, I would love to discuss your experience further!
“Bar bill alone caused me to say never Again”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Were they with a big group, served a buffet that was okay- good. Order 2 beers and 2 old fashions at the bar was charged $19.00- that us absurd!!!!
A friend ordered the same, minus one miller lite and was charged $10.00.
Guess the bar service is inept/shady .

• Visited January 2014