“Decent”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pewaukee
Wisconsin
“Decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The first impression of this property is a positive one as the clean facade of the building is easily seen and found from the nearby cross roads. Parking is very limited near the main entrance but ample parking is found in a lower parking lot. The lobby is clean, spacious and had a nicely located bar for gathering and socializing. Typical "Marriott store" right behind front desk for necessities. Prices for sodas etc were more in the store than in the vending machines on the guest floors. Room was clean but had an odor that was noticeable when you entered. Smelled like the previous occupant's meal. Each time I went into my room it took me a minute or so to get over it. Other than that decent appointments, good shower pressure and relatively quiet. Always a bonus to get real creamer cups as opposed to powder with the coffee set up. No food options within walking distance, but many a short drive away.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
John W, Director of Sales at Milwaukee Marriott West, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your positive review. I will share the odor issue with housekeeping. Thank you for your additional feedback. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We wanted a hotel with easy access to the Wisconsin State Fair, but not in Milwaukee. This hotel was a nice find. We found the hotel to be very quiet, even though the hotel was full of families. When we looked out our window we saw tree tops for as far as we could see. It was very relaxing. We really enjoyed spending time in Waukesha. It's a charming town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review. Delighted you had a great stay.
Jackson, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

So, to be fair, it does say Milwaukee West, but seriously? West of Milwaukee is Wauwatosa, and west of that is Elm Grove, and west of that is Brookfield, and west of that is Pewaukee, which is the address, so to call this Milwaukee West is just not true. It's actually more than 15 miles away from the downtown, so if you are looking for a Milwaukee hotel, check the map!

On to the good. This is a very nice hotel, in a developing area. There always seems to be some construction in the area, which means growth, but also slow getting around. The rooms are nice in size and comforts. I have, and will, stay here again,but not if I need to do anything in Milwaukee.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
John W, Director of Sales at Milwaukee Marriott West, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Agreed it can be a little misleading. I'm glad to hear that otherwise you enjoyed your stay. Everyone is getting weary of the orange barrels but as you said it is progress.
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We just spend 2 nights at this great, well run property. It's just a bit off the main north/south route through Milwaukee, WI. The value was excellent and the service was good all around. The grounds are pretty and well kept and the lobby is inviting and classy. The rooms were very comfortable and had all the needed ameneties. We also had a good, relaxing meal in the on-site bistro.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor, facing the back of the property and away from the elevator will be very qu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again soon. FYI we will be renovation our public areas beginning in Mid November. It's going to be a whole new and exciting look to the lobby.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I've spent the better part of the past year in and out of this Marriott - probably 30 stays. This review covers the total of my stays.

Overall, the staff is friendly - from the front desk to the concierge lounge.

It seems to me (a female business traveler) that this hotel is heavily geared towards male business travelers - from the color scheme to the bath products in the room. Even the concierge lounge seems tailored for men. I'm not bothered by this but would have loved a more gender neutral selection of bath products. Or since I was there so often, perhaps an offer to have my own kit or something. This seems like a miss on Marriott's part in general--not just this location.

The hotel is clean generally - every so often I would drop something on floor in my hotel room to notice the lack of a thorough vacuuming. The sheets and bed are comfortable which is the most important thing.

The gym is fine - has basic machines and equipment and is clean. Generally, there is always a machine available. There are bikes, ellipticals, treadmills, exercise balls and weights. The sound on the TVs on the treadmills kind of suck so you may want to bring your own music so you avoid ear shocks.

I've had room service a few times - it's ok. Works in a pinch but note that service ends kind of early and the only option is pizza delivery (like after 10). Better bet is to find a place in Brookfield or stop downtown on way from Airport.

When you spend as much time in hotels as I do, a few things that can make or break the experience (besides the basics of clean, comfy bed, good temp, tv w/cable).

-- Iron: No one wants to lug along an iron but I bought a little travel iron after ruining two shirts b/c of the crappy iron in the room that left marks all over.
-- Hair Dryer: Marriott isn't alone here but can we please get some updated dryers that don't suck up your hair? This foldable conair crap that probably cost $5 is fine for a Courtyard but not in a regular Marriott or Renaissance.
-- Coffee Maker: Keurig, French Press, complimentary pot of coffee for Platinum Elite members? Just throwing out that suggestion in case Marriott reads :)
-- Refrigerators: It's definitely a bonus to have a fridge period. But, some of these fridges are so loud and old, they have to be unplugged and therefor are useless.
--Bathrobes: I understand that it may not be easy to provide in all rooms but again, if I show up to your hotel 4 weeks in a row, maybe you can bring one of those bad boys up to me just because I
practically live at your hotel.
-- Parking: Would love a valet service in winter when it's freezing/snowing b/c that big open parking lot can be a bear to manage, especially with luggage.

note: if you like apples, there's always a bowl in the gym and the front lobby.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid rooms just around the laundry rooms and the concierge lounge...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
John W, Director of Sales at Milwaukee Marriott West, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for the thorough review of your stays. I appreciate that you took the time to point out areas for improvement and the areas you liked. We appreciate all of you past business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. I will be sure to pass along all of your comments to the team.
Youngstown, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel needs some updating and better staffing! Arrival was not what I have come to expect from Marriott. There was not any offer for assistance and the FOUR men behind the desk were not overly welcoming. Basic check in. When we did bring in our luggage, we just received stares and a couple of chuckles from the FOUR men behind the desk. Not sure what that was about, but it sure did not make our family feel welcome. Went to the restaurant for dinner and was unimpressed with the food. Very average. Room was in need of some upgrading. Looks like there was a partial update in the bathroom, but the majority of the room was just average. Bed was comfortable..which was one plus. Did provide a refrigerator, as requested, but it was so beat up (dents,scratches) and had such an odor! I keep disinfectant wipes with me, so I was able to clean this out (probably the first time it has been cleaned in...forever). On the positive side, the fitness area and pool were both nice and the hotel does offer recycling in the hallways near the elevators.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
John W, Director of Sales at Milwaukee Marriott West, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
I was sorry to learn that your experience was not up to par. I will definitely share your comments with our Chef, Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager. Thank you for pointing out the positive aspects of your stay as well.
Evanston, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We were on the fifth floor and we detected an odor in our hallway that followed us into our room. The bed was comfortable, so comfortable we went to Shop Marriott and bought one. The bed is comfortable but the customer service at Shop Marriott is the worst!! Be very careful of there web site.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
John W, Director of Sales at Milwaukee Marriott West, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about the unpleasant odor. I will be sure to share this with our housekeeping and engineering department. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the bed. I apologise for the poor customer service you received on the web site. I hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pewaukee
Wildwood Lodge
Hampton Inn Brookfield
Hampton Inn Brookfield
#1 of 13 in Brookfield
BEST WESTERN Waukesha Grand
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee West (Brookfield)

Been to Milwaukee Marriott West? Share your experiences!