“Disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
st paul
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We arrived on Sat at 1:15pm for lunch. We had a 15 minute wait, which was fine. Then they came to sit us and put us in the rear of the secondary, overflow room. We asked to wait for a better table, but were told No, not possible because they were closing in an hour and wanted to fill tables ASAP. So, in the spare room we noticed better tables than our back, in the rear end of the room. We asked for one of those empty tables, and again were told this was not possible. I have never seen such rigid rules. Would have been no skin off their nose to accommodate us, but they would not. We stayed, even tho we were tempted to walk put. Service was slow, only two waiters in the room. When our food finally came, it was good, tasty. But the overall experience was poor. They care more about their personal rules and preferences, than in serving their customers. We won't be back. Beware if you get seated in the secondary room. Service and ambience Is definitely secondary here. NOTE. Wanted to leave "bar scene" and "outdoor seating" columns, below, blank, but computer marked these as terrible, and I cannot clear the fields...

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank kirbyfredstpaul

Cape Coral, FL
“Great dinner after day of hiking”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

After spending the day hiking, a friend and I stopped at the Harbor View café for dinner. I loved that the part we sat in was a "library" with books everywhere. As a vegetarian, I am always interested to see how much of a selection I'll have to pick from, especially when the menu is limited and written on a chalk board. In this instance, I was pleasantly surprised that I had several options. I have to admit that the name of the restaurant and it's initial impression - a cute café - did not do justice to the inventive options available. Both of our meals were very good and service was quick and efficient. They also have a very good beer menu! I'd recommend this place if you have the chance to visit.

Big Sky, Montana
“Favorite Restaurant”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The Harbor View Cafe has been a favorite of ours for years. The owner and staff always greet us with genuine smiles and make us feel welcome. There is often a wait for a table (they don't take reservations), but, for us, that is part of the experience....having a glass of wine and winding down before sitting down to dinner. The food is consistently great, with generous portions. The atmosphere and setting of the restaurant (a gorgeous view of the harbor and Lake Pepin) adds to the experience. Highly recommend.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely afternoon lunch”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a late lunch on a lovely fall afternoon trip down the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River. We recalled hearing about the restaurant and were pleased to give it a try. We were told 10-15 minutes wait was needed, so we took the time to review the menu chalk board above the bar. The lack of a printed menu was the only thing I didn't care for. I found the board a bit hard to read, and it's hard to focus on it while feeling you're in the middle of the traffic flow. When we didn't get called for a table, my husband checked with the hostess and found that another (impatient) person with a rhyming name had taken our place in line. A couple minutes later we were seated at a lovely table with fresh table cloth and settings. Our server came promptly to take our beverage orders and was very friendly and helpful. Our food was outstanding; it didn't come in a hurry, but worth every minute of waiting. Piping hot, flavorful and generous to the point that half my lasagne came home with me for lovely lunch today. My husband was very happy with his BBQ pork sandwich with "the best potato salad" he'd ever had. High praise, indeed. He also loved his curried lentil soup appetizer. We didn't have room for dessert, which was too bad. Our server provided wonderful, attentive service throughout our meal, but we never felt rushed or pressured. On our way out, the hostess again apologized for the seating confusion. Our experience was delightful and positive in every way.

Hopkins, Minnesota, USA
“Best restaurant day trip”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Excellent as always although swordfish undercooked and had to be sent back. Choices and preparations interesting. Well worth the drive from Twin Cities. Best on a sunny summer day but fall is beautiful and rain made wait shorter than usual.

Visited October 2013

Been to Harbor View Cafe? Share your experiences!