“Plain but clean motel”

Great River Amish Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pepin
Great River Amish Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Pepin B&B and Inns
Central Wisconsin
“Plain but clean motel”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed a night on short notice when a plumbing problem at our cabin a few miles away chased us away for a night until it was fixed. This is a 7-unit old-style motel. The manager was friendly and sympathetic; it was a slack time of year (weeknight in March) so only two of the seven rooms were occupied. Both the room and the bathroom were small and plainly furnished but very clean. The bed was standard, not plush but acceptable. The "Amish" furnishings were mainly of the knick-knack variety, but helped make the room comfortable. Although it is on the main street/state highway in town (no view of anything worth looking at), at least in March not much is going on and it was quiet for sleeping. Parking is right at your door. It IS right across the road from the little Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in town in a former railroad station (which has been moved to this location).

One tip: in our shower, the control knob was plumbed the opposite of normal -- when turned you come to the hot water first, THEN the cold water. It took me a while to figure that out, so I'm including it here. A humorous little quirk typical of this type of motel.

In sum: don't expect fancy, but it is clean and comfortable and the price was right ($65+tax), it is conveniently located. And it IS the only motel in the little village of Pepin.

Room Tip: The rooms are all in a row, if you choose an end one you'll have someone on only one side of you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The room wasn't fancy, but it was definitely comfortable. I loved the quilt theme. If I were going to spend several days in the area this would be my top choice of places to stay. The price was great. The front office did smell a bit of cat urine, but the room smelled fresh and clean. The only amenity I missed was the blow dryer. As another reviewer said, it's so convenient to just walk out of the room and have your vehicle right there. The owner was really nice too - very friendly and easy to talk with. I was sort of hoping she'd have a cat in her office for me to pet, but no such luck.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KSmith938
North Branch, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My Mom and I have been staying with Ruth (Great River Amish Inn) for about six years now. We go in the spring and fall. This year we will be staying there three times!!!!! Most of the time we ride our motorcycles, unless we plan to do some shopping in which case we need the TRUCK!!!!. I never write reviews on places.....but after reading some of the comments I felt I must. You just can't please everyone.......let's face it....I've seen some of the people that also stay with Ruth and let me just say........I would rather spend the afternoon with one of Ruth's cats then keep company with such people. Yes, Ruth has cats.......I do not find that offensive in the least, maybe because I have cats. I love that when we are on the bikes I can walk out the door to our room and my bike is right there. I don't have to drag my bags around.....just pull them off and cross the sidewalk into our room. Our room is always clean and cozy with everything we need. You can't beat the price. It's a great way to get out of town without breaking the bank. Ruth is about the most pleasant host we have encountered on our trips. We miss her in the winter and have been known to send her small gifts as a thank you for dealing with the likes of us. This is my favorite trip hands down. Between the nice new road, views of the River and the Eagles you see. For us.........there is no other "Inn" in Pepin but the GREAT RIVER AMISH INN!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My daughter, 4 year old grandson, 7 year old granddaughter, and my 10 yer old autistic grand daughter stayed at this motel June 9th, 2012. The room was very clean, much cleaner than most hotels/motels I have been in. I even did the "Hotel Impossible" test of taking a clean wash cloth and running it over the grout in the floor tiles. I looked for dust in other places and could not find any. As we entered the door, I could smell the scent of cleaning products. I gave the motel a 4 out of 5.

On the contrary, we are a noisy bunch. The TV was probably too loud. The kids squeeled a bit while they had their brother and sister arguments. I would give US a 2 or 3 out of 5. so if you were a guest when we stayed, I do want to say I'm sorry we were loud.

Linda
Chippewa falls, WI

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda G
Frost, MN
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My daughter, 2 granddaughters and I stayed 1 night which was 1 night too long when we visited Laura Days in Pepein. We were located next to the office which absolutely stunk of cat pee. The bedding, towels, etc. are stored in the office area so everything smelled. We could smell it through the adjoining door to the office. They have room deorderizers but even that wasn't enough.

Room Tip: if you absolutely must stay here then get as far away from office as possible
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank grandmaD445
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 16, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Great River Amish Inn for Laura Days. We were there for one night and had a pleasant experience. It is nothing fancy yet quaint and comfortable. It was fitting for the reason of our trip. We enjoyed the entire weekend - taking a step back in time. It was a little pricey but very convenient. We could walk to the activities for Laura Days. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and gift shop were across the street. There were 2 gas stations and about 3 or 4 retaurants within walking distance. There are only 7 rooms. If you are going for Laura Days I would recommend making a reservation far in advance. I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bejoyful65
chicago
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Absolutely unbearable! It is not only in the motel office, but is sickeningly strong in the room. It's an unpleasant mix of musty and tomcat pee. If not for the strict 48 hour cancellation policy we would have stayed someplace else. We had reserved online, after reading the great website and comments. The place must have gone downhill - a lot.

Great location, but not clean. The "accessible" room doesn't have an accessible shower.

Skip this one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank amused1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pepin
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City
Nichols Inn Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
#4 of 9 in Red Wing
Best Western Rivertown Inn & Suites

Been to Great River Amish Inn? Share your experiences!