“Great food, but pricey”

The Chalice
Ranked #6 of 171 Restaurants in Oshkosh
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I often stop at The Chalice for a good sandwich. (I have learned NOT to order their soups....way too spicy, especially the chicken noodle.) They have consistently good sandwiches, but a bit on the pricey side. You do get a side dish of tomatoes in a dressing, or pasta in a mild dressing, or an Apple Waldorf salad that was quite runny the few times I tried it. I like the atmosphere and they have a friendly wait staff. So yes, I would definitely recommend it, but be prepared for the price.

There are newer reviews for The Chalice

Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I had an early dinner here on a Friday evening. The restaurant gets surprisingly busy early -- we arrived about 5:30pm and the place was pretty full. While the decor is fairly attractive, it is also very acoustically "live" due to all the wood, and as a result, the restaurant was very noisy. The outside is very dark & "old-school"-looking; I think they took an old place and tried to modernize the interior.
Another reviewer had commented on their "creative salads", so I ordered the "Chef Trio" salad, My husband had a fish dish. While there was nothing specifically bad about either entree, there was nothing especially good, either. We live in the Chicago area, so I would say it was OK for Oshkosh, but this restaurant would not survive in a big city. Our waiter was pleasant and attentive -- I would say that the service was one of the real positives. Our dinner -- 2 entrees, no drinks, no appetizer, no dessert -- was $32 including tax & tip, which I thought was on the high side for what we got.

2  Thank mompeef
Reviewed February 5, 2014

What is a Hot Italian salad? You need to visit The Chalice to see how sautéed mushrooms, onions, marinated tomatoes, green peppers and melted Provolone cheese work on salad greens. I was unsure of adding the grilled portabellos or grilled chicken, When I mentioned this to the wait staff, she immediately said that they could do half and half, which turned out to be perfect.there were a number of other dinners having salads for dinner this evening, so they must be doing something right.

2  Thank Been2Madagascar
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I love going to the Chalice. ESPECIALLY in the winter. There's 2 fireplaces, lights are dim, wine selection is great, and the food is really good. It's a happy medium if you like a little bit more elaborate menu and your spouse likes meat and potatoes. The staff is super friendly and the owners are some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

1  Thank Kia S
Reviewed September 6, 2013

On a recent "girls lunch" get together, we chose the Chalice, and it was a very pleasant time for me and others who have never been there or not recently. The steak and cheese sandwich I had was $9.99 but large enough to take half of it home for another meal, so along with the side of pasta or salad, plus a small complimentary dessert cookie, we all had more than enough to eat and almost all of us had leftovers to take home. I wasn't concerned about the low lighting in the place, but only disappointed that there we could not eat outside due to the threat of bees. Will certainly go again and enjoy another type of sandwich and the secret chalice sauce.

Been to The Chalice? Share your experiences!