“Great chocolate.”

148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great chocolate.”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I thought we'd get more of a tour or get to see more of the process. You can see a lot of the process. It's amazing how much stuff is crammed in that basement. The chocolate is excellent. We bought dark chocolate peanut clusters and dark chocolate pudding.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank ScenicSights

Omro, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Heavenly”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The other day my boss was telling me about this place called Hughes that makes chocolate in their basement and he said that it's a landmark in Oshkosh and that I should definitely check it out. I was out and about today and decided to stop in. When I pulled up I was surprised that it was just a house in the middle of a normal neighborhood! There is a neon sign in the window that says Hughes and a hand written sign that says "Please use side door." I saw a few other cars parked on the street when I pulled up but other than that I would have driven right past it if I hadn't been looking for it. How neat!

I walked up to the front door and saw the sign telling me to use side door so I walked around and went through the door. When I opened it the smell of sweet delicious chocolate greeted me and I saw that I could either go upstairs into their house or downstairs into the basement where there were others standing. I was surprised by how small the area is. You can see all of the equipment for their chocolate-making and then behind the register is a wall of chocolate boxes. You place your order and they bag it up for you. The girl behind the counter was very friendly and was patient with my questions about the ordering process.

I couldn't wait for the 30 minute ride home so when I got to my car I opened the box of chocolate I had gotten and chose one from the variety assortment I'd gotten. It was SO good! The toffee is unbelievable but my FAVORITE was the caramel apples I bought from them! OH MY GOSH they are incredible!!! They pick Mackintosh apples from the tree in their back yard and make them! First, I despise Granny Smith apples so I was pumped when she told me they used Mackintosh. Second, it was the most incredible and amazingly tasty caramel apple I've ever tasted. I am going back next week to get more. Yum!!

I will definitely be back for more. Very nostalgic.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank jodathechoda
Wisconsin
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Best Chocolate Anywhere!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I did not grow up in Oshkosh, but I have been going to Hughes Chocolates for years. I try to visit local chocolate shops whenever I am out of town and none of them compare to Hughes, especially for the price. Many chocolate shops charge way more than Hughes, but are no better. Their double chocolate pudding eggs, cherry cordials, and oysters are outstanding! Whenever my elderly mother was here visiting she would ask to go there. It is such a unique family operation run out of their basement. Sad to say they are not open in the summer. I have to buy chocolates and freeze them to last until they re-open in the fall. But it is worth the wait!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Patti501
Appleton
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“excellent”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Creamy, excellent chocolates. Have a hard time deciding which ones to choose from. Always purchase some for gifts and of course, some for myself and family.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank tim2tyler
Berlin, Wisconsin
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“excellent chocolate”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

couldn't ask for better chocolate. kind of pricey for what you get. Buy as a special gift or to treat yourself once in a while

Visited March 2012