“Acceptable, inexpensive motel”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Oshkosh
Chicago, Illinois
“Acceptable, inexpensive motel”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was greeted warmly upon arrival. The lady at the front desk checked me in quickly and was very friendly and helpful.

My room was small and very modern looking. There was no carpeting on the floor, just plastic laminate made to look like hardwood flooring. The floor was a bit dirty--perhaps not mopped recently. I walked about barefoot and the bottoms of my feet got a bit dirty. The bed and the bathroom were both very clean. No complaints. There was only a shower--no bathtub.

The TV was a large, LCD. Nice picture. The bed was comfortable. The sheets fine. Not a bad deal for $40+tax per night. I recommend.

Room Tip: Book early for the best selection of rooms. No elevator, but two floors.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Elgin
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When we got to the room, it smelled very musty and moldy!! The service was absolutely horrible. We were staying at the hotel for 2 nights. The first night was fine and then the next day we were gone from 6 am until 8 p.m., when we got back to the room it had not been cleaned. There were no fresh towels or toilet paper. We went to the office to complain and the desk worker was obnoxious. We explained to her that our room wasn't cleaned and she mentioned that, because we have pets, they are not required to clean the room. She said that sometimes there is a communication problem with housekeeping. I told her that we were gone all day and there was no excuse. She was not interested in listening to what I had to say and the discussion was not very fruitful, so I told her that I would talk with the Manager in the am. Well, needless to say, the Manager didn't care either. I was also walking our dog and asked another person if their room was cleaned and she said "no". They need to get their act together!!!!

Room Tip: Stay Away!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank twojjss
New Orleans
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I think it's easy for a person to shell out $80 to stay at a hotel and not get the welcoming feeling that we hope for. For the price we paid at the motel 6, we were pleasantly surprised at how accommodating the staff and facility was. We only stayed one night and the room was sufficient enough for all our needs.

The building is a little bit on the older side, but they seem to be doing renovations/remodeling everytime I pass through town - That shows a lot of dedication and they truly care. I've never been so compelled to write a review for such a hospitable stay until now. This place was nice and the staff were great! I would recommend for anyone that looking for a comfortable place to stay and not hoping for a chocolate on the pillow (do they even do that anymore?)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We got Packer tickets 5 days before the game, and this was the closest hotel we could book. In retrospect, it may have been better to drive back to Madison. Room very small, bathroom was a strange shape, and the water pressure non-existent. The walls are so thin we literally heard everything next door and outside. Someone was very cold at 2:00 AM, and very sick at 3:00. We were very gone at 7:00 AM.

Room Tip: I don't imagine any of these rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Muscatine
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed here because it was the closest hotel to Green Bay I could get for a last minute Packers game excursion. The room was very small, not for a family. You get a small bar of soap and no shampoo.Bedding was clean. The lady at the desk was pleasant and early check in not a problem. If my wife would have been with me there is no way we would have stayed. Paid $45 for two adults.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
WI
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Like another review on this hotel, this place is SOOOO disgusting. Spend the extra 10 dollars and stay somewhere else. They spent a good amt of money only to have a poor remodel. They have nice faux bamboo flooring, only for it to be DISGUSTINLY dirty. The bathroom had mold in it and the towels are stained beyond what bleach can take care of. We had rented 2 rooms (both are supposedly non smoking) but both smelled HIGHLY of stale smoke, covered up with cheap cleaner. One room even had cigarette burns on top of the microwave, thus showing they allow smoking in the rooms. Also DO NOT count on your room looking like the room that is shown on many websites. It has to be their display room, as our room looked ABOUT 20 years older than their "BRIGHT VIBRANT ROOMS".

As the other reviewer mentioned, why spend the money for a poor remodel when it should have been done all the way. I think they may have been in a rush to get the Motel 6 (this was previously a Travelodge who lost its franchise and then a no-name motel before it became the "NEW" Motel 6) name on it, but truly Motel 6 did not inspect or they would have seen cracked concrete, uneven walk ways and pot holes in the lot.

Room Tip: Spend some extra money elsewhere, this place is the pit!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelWII
Del S, General Manager at Motel 6 Oshkosh, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Hello,

I'm very saddened to hear about your concerns regarding our property posted 08/07/11. I apologize none of these concerns were brought to our attention during your tenative stay. We now understand from your feedback how we can help understand our future guests on the style of our rooms. Let me begin by saying we do feature new hardwood style flooring. While it is actually laminate, the main purpose we decided to implement our property is your concern. Cleanliness. The flooring we use in the rooms does not trap any type of bacertia or other unknown allergens, etc that you may find in hotel carpeting. Unless the hotel properly clean and sanitize their carpets after every stay, I can say with 100% guarantee our floor is cleaner and more safer.

Since before our award-winning in design remodel. We have implemented a smoke-free facility and do make all of our guests aware of repercussions of smoking in our smoke free rooms, which is accompanied by a $500 damage fee, a citation for violating our state-wide law, and immediate eviction. If it was known to us there may of been smell of cigarette smoke, we would have immediately relocated with no questions asked.

Our Laundry is all outsourced and treated and cleaned at the same place of our local hospitals in Oshkosh by professionals.

Once again, I'm truly sorry none of this was brought to our attention. We never are satisfied unless a guest is satisfied. While I have noticed from your reviews of 4-5 Star hotels such as the Sheraton, Westin. While we are a motel 6 lowest price of any national chain, and no frills. We still strive for the service of any star hotel out there! No matter what the star rating I am not satisifed until a concern regarding a stay is rectified.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can locate your stay in our system.

With Regards,

Del Singh
Motel 6 #4596
Key West
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I reserved this motel on the Motel 6 website, yet the manager (owner?) had difficulty finding our reservation. Then he neglected to give me a receipt and when I asked for it he told me he would have it in the morning. I was tired after traveling all day so when I signed the credit card charge I simply signed without confirming that the price I was paying was the price I was quoted online. My mistake. The next morning comes, still no receipt. Only when he realized I was willing to wait all morning to get my receipt did he find it. When he did hand it to me it was folded in half and he was chatting away ,I suspect in hopes I would not look at the receipt and discover the amount charged was incorrect. More on that later.
The room itself was quite incredible, but not in a good way. They put all these new furnishing in a room that appeared to not have been cleaned in the past 20 years. There was a nice bamboo floor, but it looked as if it had been installed by someone with no concern for workmanship. The paint job looked to have been done by a blindfolded painter. I could go on, but my major complaint is that this room was simply the filthiest room I have ever seen. My husband dropped a piece of cheese on the floor. He took a washcloth to wipe the spot and found a black handshaped mark on the wash cloth after he wiped a small area of the floor. The floor was a different color where he wiped.
The more we looked around, the worse it got. It was simply nasty. I don't know why they would spend the money modernizing the room only to neglect the cleaning altogether. The room was obviously designed for quick cleaning. The beds are mattresses on metal platforms attached to the wall. Strange and not terribly comfortable. The bathroom is totally white, except that the tile on the floor around the toilet is grimy gray. The dust and dirt on the exhaust fan was something to behold.
We have stayed at many Motel 6 locations around the country. We are not motel snobs. We don't need fancy thick towels, toiletries, and wonderful breakfasts. All I really want when traveling is a clean, comfortable room. This room fails that important test.
On the plus side they have put money into this location. If they would just hire some good housekeepers, it might be acceptable. They were working on some landscaping and had recently painted the exterior of the building. The location is fine.
One other thing about their pricing. The price I paid for a senior room was about $20 more than the price advertised at the restaurant next door. Strange. Also, the price I was
quoted online is not the price I paid. The owner was willing to verbally spar with me the entire morning rather than refund the $3.77 I was overcharged. He said the price I was quoted online was wrong. He tried to convince me he had given me an extra special low price that he never gave anyone else until I asked him about the price on the ad in the restaurant. He had an excuse for everything. The same man was working in the afternoon when we arrived and in the morning when we checked out. I am sure he is the owner or at least has a stake in this motel. Ultimately, he wore me down. I wanted to get out of there and on the way home more than I wanted my $3.77. I felt angry, frustrated, and taken advantage of when I left the lobby in the morning. We will never return.
Sorry I can't include photos. We took many to document the state of the room. Unfortunately, the computer on which the photos were stored crashed and the information was lost.
If you read some of my other reviews you will see that I am not an overly critical person.
I am satisfied with most of the hotels and restaurants I have reviewed, but when I do encounter a placel like this, I think people should know what to expect.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple