Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel & Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Murray, United States
“Great Service!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I work for a university in KY, and we had come for a conference. We had issues with the bus, and the staff was amazing at trying to help all that they could. The hotel is already awesome room wise, value wise, and amenity wise. The staff just made it that much more a great stay for us. Thanks so much!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Walpole ,ma, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great Hotel in downtown Oshkosh, adjacent to river ,in good weather can walk riverway for miles. Convenient walking distance to a number of reasonably priced restaurants. In hotel dining at Ground Round and Lounge with drink and app specials ,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Bowling Green, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I cannot complain about the stay at the hotel overall except for two things. They charge you an EXTRA $150 on top of your bill without telling you for "incidentals". This gives you no chance to prove your innocence. Also, they are so money hungry that they don't have a complimentary breakfast (The one they have is $9.99) as well as way over charging you for even a bottle of water. The room was clean, so I cannot complain there and the hotel seems to be safe.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Daniel S, Manager at Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I appreciate the time you took to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing the room to be clean and that you felt safe at our hotel. I am very sorry the two incidents you described negatively affected an otherwise satisfactory stay.

What you described as an extra $150 charge for incidentals was not a charge but simply an authorization to cover potential incidental charges. I ask your patience in allowing me to offer a detailed explanation.

At check-in, all major hotels will “pre-authorize” a credit card or debit card for the cost of the room and an additional amount over the cost of the room to cover possible incidental purchases that a guest might charge to their room during their stay. For example, a guest may charge to their room the cost of dinner from dining in the hotel’s Ground Round restaurant. The pre-authorization is performed to establish the guest’s ability to pay for incidental charges (the Ground Round charge in this example) posted to the room account. We establish that amount for incidental charges to be just $50 per night. Seeing you stayed three nights with us, the total amount calculated for incidentals was $150. It is important to note, this is not the posting of a $150 charge. It is simply an “authorization” determining ability to pay. However, the way most banks process debit cards, the authorization may appear to the guest to be a charge rather than a temporary “hold” on the funds. When looking at your charge or debit account on-line, this dollar value is often displayed as “pending”.

Please allow me to explain further. When a credit card is used at check-in, and no additional charges are posted to the guest’s account, the extra $150 authorization typically is removed from the credit card holder’s account within 24 hours. However, when a debit card is used at check-in, the guest’s bank will place a hold on that $150 for up to three to seven business days after check-out. For this reason, we highly discourage the use of debit cards at the time of check-in with a statement on the registration form that we ask you to initial. At the same time, we ask our front desk staff to make every effort to discourage guests from using debit cards.

After reviewing your registration card you (or the person you roomed with) initialed the statement about debit card use. This would verify that the information was discussed at the time of check-in. However, it appears that the initials of the person who checked in were initials other than yours. This would suggest to me that the person who roomed with you actually signed-in and had this procedure explained to them.

With regard to your comment about breakfast, it is not unusual for hotels with a full service restaurant to offer table service with an a la carte menu and to charge for that service. We did offer the choice of a hot breakfast buffet for $9.99, including beverages, or the option of dining from our full breakfast menu with tableside service. Comments from our past guests indicated the preference for a full a la carte breakfast menu with waits staff service provided.

I regret these incidents caused you to rate your hotel experience as less than satisfactory. We truly work to be proactive for the comfort and satisfaction of our guests. There is nothing for us to gain if we don’t work toward that goal. I hope my explanation gives a bit more insight into how and why we handle these situations in the way we do. Again, I am very sorry for your disappointment. I hope by addressing your comments I can improve your faith in us and the Best Western brand.

Kind Regards,
Eau Claire, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The hotel was very nice! Everything was very clean, the restaurant food was extremely good, and the beds were very comfy. The only thing's I noticed, that could be improved, are: the shower temperatures were a little cold (even when turned just about to the maximum hot side), one of the waitresses we had could have used a bit of improvement (didn't know the menu, was kind of rude, didn't really check up on us), and the parking garage only connects to the 2nd floor. Other than that, it was an excellent hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Daniel S, General Manager at Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments about your stay. It is a pleasure to see you enjoyed our hotel. I also appreciate the fact of giving my team and I constructive feedback.

Please accept my apology for the water not being as hot as you would enjoy. The hotel is designed to have plenty of hot water capacity with new hot water boilers put in place during the renovation as well as several large hot water holding tanks. We are conscious of guest comfort with the goal of offering water temperatures that meet the expectations or our guests yet, not too hot with risk of providing scalding hot water. I will review our settings with our building engineer to be sure we are providing water temperatures as expected.

Regarding your dining experience, I am very sorry for what you experienced. I firmly believe this incident was outside of the norm, and that our servers are always very friendly to our guests. We will take your feedback to heart and work further to coach our staff so that these situations can be avoided in the future.

The second and third levels of the parking ramp do indeed connect to the hotel at the second level vestibule and walkway. However, when parking on the ground level, you may also enter the hotel by following the sidewalk along the north face of the hotel to the main hotel entrance.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope my response is helpful and I hope you take the opportunity to stay with us again.
Oconomowoc, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Excellent Hotel! Would highly recommend. Very clean lobby and room. Very nice and helpful staff. The Ground Round at the hotel is also very clean and served a great breakfast. The lobby has fresh coffee and water. Nice seating in the lobby with a relaxing fireplace. Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Love this hotel in Oshkosh. Best place to stay while my husband was fishing on the Battle of Bago fishing contest. It offered me all that I need while he was fishing. Loved the onsite food services offered. Will stay here again if we are in the area again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Kenosha, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was here for a business meeting. I enjoyed the breakfast and lunch that was served. My room was very nice and clean but didn't like the bed. The hotel as a whole was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and stay again. I would look forward to coming in the summer though to see the waterfront and the ships come thru the draw bridge. .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business