“Oshkosh Newest Renovation”

Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Oshkosh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel has been recently renovated and reopened. Everything is top notch. Rooms are very nicely decorated, roomy and clean. Downtown location is convenient to most anything. There is a resturant and bar on site and in good weather, outside seating on the Fox river is available. The resturant is adequate but convenient. There are several others within walking distance. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and professional in appearance and behavior when not directly assisting others. Very impressive staff. Recommend this hotel when in the area. Free parking. Safe environment. Great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is probably nicest place in Oshkosh.In the center of town and on the Fox River. Only open since May but they have their act together.
The restaurant, Ground Round has a diverse menu, food is good and it is lively.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

great hotel very clean & newly renovated, breakfast included. nice fitness center open 24 hours. pool & hot tub open fro 7am till 200am. great business center numerous computers and printers. internet access very good. Excellent housekeeping. requested extra pillows and towels they were delivered promptly.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

After a great experience with Best Western in Manitowoc, Wi we made sure to stay at the Best Western Premier in Oshkosh. This is a first class hotel in every aspect. The staff, the lobby, the business area, the rooms with their decor, linens and toiltries were superb. It is connected with the city convention center via a 2nd floor bridge that is completely enlcosed. The city was celebrating the opening of the new boardwalk and was very busy. We still were able to enjoy a bar dinner and drinks plus becoming a part of the celebration. The swimming pool and fitness center is new and excellent in keeping with a 'Premier' hotel.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed with my Dad and two of my children during EAA (which happens to be the busiest time for the Oshkosh area)...we have been coming up to this area the same time for the past 5 years...

It happens that this time we planned our trip at the last minute, and luckily we were able to find some space at this newly renovated hotel..

First off, I will say the POSITIVES:

a. It is located right on the Fox River, so there are some great views (especially at sunset time)

b.. If you are a boat lover, you definately have a lot to see, and the ability to rent boats and keep them at a dock right outside of the hotel (behind the Ground Round Restaurant)

c. The staff that we met were all very very friendly, and helpful in giving recommendations for meals, directions, extra pool time etc..

d. The rooms itself are very nice and brand new feeling...

Now the this is the reason why I didn't give this a 5 star rating:

1st..When we checked in, the hotel has done a nice thing in having you fill out a placard (that allows you as a guest) the opportunity to ask for extra amenties during your stay (wherebeit) extra towels, coffee, soaps etc...

They even give you the option to set up specific times for the housekeeper to come to your room to clean as to not incovenience you etc..

Well, I did what was asked of me, and asked for 4 extra towels, and an extra coffee each morning that we would be there..

After the first night, we were gone all day at the EAA AirVenture show, we arrive back at the hotel around 7pm, and get to our room and notice that our trash cans are still full of trash from the previous day, we don't have any towels to speak of, and there is a lightbulb missing on the celing..

I walked downstairs and was able to speak with Shana (supervisor) who was very interesting in helping and seeing what she could do, I explained to her what had happened, and she said that she would get this taken care of right now and that she was sorry and all, and she would call engineering..

We went out to eat, and when we came back we noticed that everything had been taken care of,

The next day we were out again all day long, and when we get back around 6pm, we notice that one of the trashcans again has trash in it, and that we dont have the extra towels again..

I again called and spoke with Shana (again) and explained to her what the problem was and she again said that she was sorry, and had these things taken care of in a matter of minutes...

When we got to checkout day (Sunday) they asked how my stay was and I said it was fine, however it had been quite a hassle with the things that had happened...

The gentleman wanted to know what had happened, and I explained that I preferred not to go over the 3 day story with him and that I would rather speak to the General Manager..

They had also asked if we were interested in getting on the list for next years Air Venture to which I responded no I don't believe so at this time...

I spoke with Dan the General Manager on Tuesday morning, and went over the entire story with him to which he responded that he was sorry for what had happened, and that he would look into what had happened and needed to speak to the appropriate people..

He responded in calling my cell that afternoon, and stated that he would give us a $125 refund plus tax, based on what had happened and that was all he would do, even though that was a nice gesture, it wasn't what we had asked to start with, we had asked for a one night refund, since we had to prepay our entire stay before arriving at the hotel..

For those that don't know what the rates were during that time, we paid:

For Thursday night. $309
For Friday night: $279
For Saturday night: $249

this didn't include tax...funny enough upon going onto the internet each night they had rooms available and the rates that were posted were far under what we had already PREPAID for...

I asked the front desk about that, and was told that it's up to the revenue manager..

So basically, the hotel is great and the staff is very very helpful, however, a simple request of a one night refund, was too much to ask and we got less then half of what we had requested..

I will say if this had been a Hampton Inn experience, there motto is:

100% guarantee, if your not happy then you don't pay for that night stay...

I never asked for a full refund, I only asked for a one night refund..

I will say I'm sure this is an isolated experience, however we won't stay at this hotel again...

To pay that amount of money each night, and not be able to get a trash can emptied, or towels, I'm going elsewhere...

Room Tip: If you want a water view, make sure to ask to not be on the side where the hugh A/C fans are, or you...
2  Thank caneshockey31
Daniel S, General Manager at Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

I appreciate and thank you for the valuable time you took to share your detailed comments about your stay. Our goal is to earn the loyalty of our guests and I regret we did not meet your expectations. I value the opportunity I had to speak with you directly about your stay with us and enjoyed you sharing some of the details of your family’s interest and history with EAA and aviation. Again, please accept my personal apologies for the challenges you noted in your response.

Thank you for recognizing the many positive interactions during your stay and that you, overall, enjoyed the hotel amenities. When the missteps occurred, I am pleased to see you recognized Shanna, one of our front desk supervisors, for addressing the oversights quickly and completely.

After our phone conversation, I learned from the housekeeper who serviced your room that the placement of the service request card did not catch her attention due to it hanging on the door lever in conjunction with the do not disturb sign. I regret this took place however this incident will bring a greater awareness to our housekeeping team to be more alert to the possible different placement locations of the service card.

My return response to you later that day resulted in voicemail, where I left a message in how I would compensate for the oversight. In consideration of Shanna and my team quickly addressing any oversights, I trusted I was being reasonable in addressing your concerns with the compensation offered and am sorry to learn you were not completely satisfied until after reading this post.

In regard to the hotel rates, these are the competitive rates charged in the market during the annual week long EAA Air Venture due to the high demand for hotel rooms during this period of time. In our phone conversation earlier that day, we did not discuss the Internet rates referenced in this post. I was unaware this was concern.

We will continue to put our efforts towards creating a pleasurable memorable experience for our guests. I hope by addressing our guests’ comments, I can improve our current and future customer’s faith in us as we work to always improve.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a GREAT hotel. I had an excellent 10 day visit to Oshkosh and this Best Western made the trip even better. Great Staff, great facility, and a great location along with an attached bar and restaurant made this a great stay. When I visit Oshkosh for pleasure travel, I'll stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed there one night during the EAA air show and the staff and service were excellent. The rooms were clean and beautiful. I will rate this hotel excellent. The staff at the Groun Round was friendly and the service was excellent I loved the river walk it was beautiful and clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends