“A great time for train lovers young and old!”

Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Osceola
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The Osceola & St Croix Valley Rail Road operates from May through October, departing from the Osceola Depot with alternating tourist runs to Marine-on-St Croix, Mn (11:00) Dresser, Wi (1:30) & again to M. "Specials" include Brunch (11:00) & Dinner Trains (5:00) on weekends, Mother's Day & Father's Day Brunch & Dinner, and Fall "Color Trains" with meal service. Brunch and Dinner Service is "First Class", with china, silver and fresh linens ready for use in the old "high dollar" tradition. We strive to meet the standards when service was an art and every journey included a trip to the dining car. We operate charters for community groups, corporate activities, church, graduation & retirement dinners, weddings, receptions and more. All equipment meets FRA standards for operation, and we make every effort to accommodate guests with physical issues. However, please note that certain pieces of our rolling stock are non-ADA compliant due to age and historic nature.
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoy coming here! The people are friendly and informative. They go out of their way to encourage railroad enthusiasts in all shapes and sizes, and even have a wheelchair lift available!

thecaptaino3e, Guest Relations Manager at Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you. Yes, we are train enthusiasts out here and we enjoy sharing with everyone who takes a ride with us. We're always surprised at how many people have memories of watching trains, relations who worked for a railroad or riding the train when they were young.

Thanks again.

in 6 reviews
"nice gift shop"
"kids and adults"

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We took our three kids on the ride. We were celebrating the 3rd birthday of our son. He got a huge kick out of it. We got to see the locomotive up close and saw great scenary. The 1.5 hours was the right amount. A key was bringing a picnic lunch along. There are plenty of tables to spread out and eat. It was a fun event for all us! The staff were great, many of them were volunteers I believe, so you know they were really enjoying it, too.

Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to ride with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We took the scenic 1.5 hour train ride, but without a meal. Perhaps the people who enjoyed a meal also got more interaction from staff?

We purchased tickets online in advance and had no trouble picking them up. All of the staff we encountered were pleasant and professional. While waiting for the train, we climbed around inside their display train car, wandered through the very tiny attached museum, and spent quite a bit of time in the gift shop.

When it came time to board, we were given a choice between the air conditioned train cars (circa 1950?) or the older vintage cars (circa 1920?) with no a/c, but windows that opened, making it easier to take photos. For the first part of the trip, we rode in the older cars, but on the way back, we moved to the air conditioned cars, so we got both experiences.

Then began the disappointing part of the trip. There is no sound system on the train and although staff occasionally walked through our car and greeted us, there was no one riding in the car (or making announcements) to let us know what we were passing. Although the website advertises a view of Bridal Veil Falls and Buttermilk Falls, I never saw either of them.

I liked that we were free to roam the train while it was moving, so at one point we walked toward the back of the train, to an open baggage car. Several of the staff were standing there (probably trying to stay cool on this very hot day), so I asked about Bridal Veil Falls. I was told that this time of year, it is very difficult to see, but the conductor explained what to look for on the return trip. (Unfortunately, I missed the single marker he'd told me to watch for, so didn't see it then, either.) I also stopped by the mail car to ask about the "catching the mail on the fly" that was supposed to be part of the trip, only to be told they usually only do that once per weekend, and not on this trip. There was also a snack car, but it mainly just sold vending machine type snacks.

When we got to the "end of the line", the train stopped, with no explanation, and we sat there for awhile, with no staff walking through to explain what was happening. Then the train started moving in the opposite direction.

All in all, it was great to see a bit of history still functioning, and the ride was comfortable. The staff was friendly, but there was NO explanation of what we were driving past. The scenery was mostly just trees and occasionally some water. I felt it was a bit too high priced for basically sitting in a slow moving train for 1.5 hours. There were enough staff members on the train that they could have stationed one person in each occupied car to offer information to people who wanted it. Or perhaps they could invest in a sound system and have a tour guide explaining what we were passing. On other train rides I've taken, that's what they've done.

2  Thank TerriKay
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Took my kids and grandkida on the brunch train. We had a great expeeience and I highly recommend this! It is not a buffet as I believe it told me on the website. But it was great. I've never taken a trip like t hi s before but I can't imagine anything better.

1  Thank DoloresfromIdaho

Thanks for the "great" review. As to the buffet, we've had "white linen table service" all this year.
Our reviews on the old fashioned "high dollar" service have been very encouraging and out intention is to continue to improve it and move the service to an even higher level next year.

And naturally, we'd like to see you enjoying it.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although this scenic ride is powered by a fairly modern diesel locomotive the accomodation is in vintage carriages with plenty of architectural interest.
The depot facilities are adequate but can get a bit congested around boarding time but I was fortunate to be asked into the cab of the diesel during its run round by Nick the engineer. I must look like a railroad geek even though its not tattooed on my forehead, but welcomed the opportunity to see the diesel working and to chat about railroad interests.
I opted to ride inside the train which was a good choice as I spent much time talking to Mariah the dog (see picture) who is owned by one of the volunteers and enjoys her train rides.
Good facilities aboard the train and an excellent experience overall.

thecaptaino3e, Guest Relations Manager at Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thanks for the review.

Honestly, yes, it does get a bit congested at the depot. But it comes with success, as they say. We're trying to expand the platform and we've taken some steps to separate the movement of both tourist and Dinner Train traffic, but that's what happens when a 1916 facility is in use.

The ride in the cab is an experience limited to very few, so we're glad it went to someone who appreciated it.

And "... talking with Mariah" is an excellent way to spend the trip (She's such a good listener!)

She's also our children's ambassador in so many ways, with small ones often curling up and taking a nap with her as their pillow. We're looking into collecting the photos taken of her over the years and publishing a small pamphlet on her. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the review.