“Splendid Scenic Ride on a Vintage Train”

Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Osceola
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The Osceola & St Croix Valley Rail Road operates from May through October, departing from the Osceola Depot with alternating runs to Marine-on-St Croix, Mn (11:00) and Dresser, Wi (1:30). Special Trains include Brunch (11:00) & Dinner Trains (5:00) operated on weekends, Mother's Day & Father's Day Brunch & Dinner, and several Fall "Color Trains" with full meal service. All Brunch and Dinner Service is "First Class", with red carpet leading up to the dining cars, china, silver and fresh linens ready for use and a meal in the old "high dollar" tradition. We strive to meet the standards of the old days, when service was an art and every journey by rail included a trip to the dining car. We also operate charter trains for community groups, corporate activities, church get-togethers, graduation & retirement dinners, wedding receptions and more. All equipment meets FRA standards for operation, and we make every effort to accommodate guests with physical issues. However, please note that certain pieces of our rolling stock are non-ADA compliant due to age and historic nature.
London, England
179 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 267 helpful votes
“Splendid Scenic Ride on a Vintage Train”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although this scenic ride is powered by a fairly modern diesel locomotive the accomodation is in vintage carriages with plenty of architectural interest.
The depot facilities are adequate but can get a bit congested around boarding time but I was fortunate to be asked into the cab of the diesel during its run round by Nick the engineer. I must look like a railroad geek even though its not tattooed on my forehead, but welcomed the opportunity to see the diesel working and to chat about railroad interests.
I opted to ride inside the train which was a good choice as I spent much time talking to Mariah the dog (see picture) who is owned by one of the volunteers and enjoys her train rides.
Good facilities aboard the train and an excellent experience overall.

Visited June 2013
thecaptaino3e, Guest Relations Manager at Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks for the review.

Honestly, yes, it does get a bit congested at the depot. But it comes with success, as they say. We're trying to expand the platform and we've taken some steps to separate the movement of both tourist and Dinner Train traffic, but that's what happens when a 1916 facility is in use.

The ride in the cab is an experience limited to very few, so we're glad it went to someone who appreciated it.

And "... talking with Mariah" is an excellent way to spend the trip (She's such a good listener!)

She's also our children's ambassador in so many ways, with small ones often curling up and taking a nap with her as their pillow. We're looking into collecting the photos taken of her over the years and publishing a small pamphlet on her. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the review.

Red Wing, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We did the dinner train for Father's Day, and it was a real treat. The food was good, the ride was comfortable, and the service was very friendly. I would do it again, but probably the brunch train the next time--just for the variety. Well worth the trip!

1 Thank ontheriver_13
Thank you very much for your review. It's always good for us to hear from our patrons as to their experience on our railroad and our Dinner Train.

Each week, we try to step things up in the experience - a different dinner, another step up in linen, silver or china, the presentation. So we hope that next time, you can see a different aspect of it all.

Come back soon.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Must do for fathers day”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My two little boys ( ages one and three) along with my siblings Got this as a gift for my father and my husband.it was perfect. The food was fabulous. Staff was so very accommodating. Seriously the perfect fathers day gift and a great way to spend time together

2 Thank wivacatio
thecaptaino3e, Guest Relations Manager at Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We try to do our best for our diners as we feel that you've taken the time to ride with us, particularly as a First Class Dinner Patron, and that the effort made should be honored. We're thankful you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will share your memories with others. Thank you again.
Roseville, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dinner Train is a MUST!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been on many train rides at the Osceola Depot. I used my best friend's birthday as an excuse to finally try the dinner train since it isn't my husband's cup of tea. I am so very glad I did! Even though the weather wasn't the best, the views were still beautiful. The volunteers that work on the train and in the depot are very knowledgeable about the history of the railroad and the trains that they run. You can tell it more than a hobby for many of them.
The food was absolutely wonderful!!!!

They have it all. Good food, good atmosphere, good conversation. What more could you ask for?!

1 Thank Jennifer U
Hastings, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Birthday Present!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

By best friend bought us tickets for my birthday to ride the dinner train. Andrew told a wonderful commentary about the history of the dinning train, the typical meals served on the trains and the history of the railway we were traveling on. The food was good, the rhubarb crisp was EXCELLENT!!! After dinner we explored the other cars on the train, it was very interesting to see the different "classes" and the history behind the mail car..Definately going to return for another dinner train ride with my boyfriend very soon!! My son asked if we could do the pizza train.

1 Thank Jessica C