“Oregon's diner”

Add it.
DeBroux Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Jefferson St.
Description: Formerly known as Brous Nellie's
Madison, Wisconsin
“Oregon's diner”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Nice place to go, nice interior, very friendly staff, good burgers, every day special meals, a place for lunch or dinner.

Verona, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I enjoyed this restaurant”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I do not live in Oregon and today was my first visit to this restaurant. I've read quite a few mediocre reviews for this place, but I have to say that I had a very good experience. We went for lunch during the week. It was not crowded. I ordered the Turkey Club Sandwich on sourdough bread with a cup Tomato and Tortellini Soup. The soup was ok, not inspired, but I very much enjoyed my sandwich. It was very large and very tasty. Our food was served in record time. The waitress was attentive and friendly. I liked the fun decor. Granted, I had never been to the restaurant under the previous management, so I don't know what the decor or the food were like then. I enjoyed my experience here and would definitely go back. My only criticism would be that it did seem to be just slightly more expensive than your usual sandwiches, but not outrageous.

Visited January 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“From Great to Disappointing -- stay away from DeBroux's”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Several years ago, a friend had recommended this restaurant to my husband and me when it was named Broux Nellie's. The restaurant had so much going for it then -- good food, varied menu offerings, a charming atmosphere, terrific servers. Unfortunately, things have changed and not for the better. The food has now become average to below-average. The place still has varied menu offerings, but they now lack flavor and just aren't worth the price being charged for them. The restaurant itself seems to have fallen into a level of disrepair. Booth seats are torn, with their stuffing falling out. There is also an issue with cleanliness. And during the last 3 times we were at the restaurant, servers provided indifferent (borderline rude) service and somehow found a way to charge us a higher price for entrees than the menu prices.

If you want to know how careless staff are when it comes to cleaning a restaurant, just dine with a service dog. The last time we died at DeBroux's, the dog spent a lot of time "feasting" on food on the floor. At least the dog got something apparently worth consuming. We certainly didn't. The premium-priced cheeseburger my husband ordered was tasteless. The sweet potato fries I had with my entree were served cold. No heat. The server barely came to the table to ask whether we were enjoying our offerings or if we needed a refill on our $2.79 sodas. On a previous visit, I'd ordered a higher-end chicken pot pie. I could count the chicken pieces and carrot slices in the salty gravy of this offering. I wondered how the restaurant could justify the $9 price for something that wasn't as tasty as a Swanson Frozen Pot Pie.

My husband and I do not expect a restaurant to be "perfect." We also understand that staff may have an "off" day. And servers don't necessarily control the food prepared by kitchen staff. But when diners encounter multiple problems on multiple visits, it's hard to continue supporting that restaurant. Given the last 3 experiences we've had at this place, we just won't be going back. Mediocre, over-priced food, coupled with a poorly maintained restaurant interior -- and rude, indifferent servers -- do not add up to a good experience. As someone who has worked as a restaurant server, it's rare when our tip is less than 15 percent. My husband wanted to leave a grand total of 0. ("Tips are NOT a right. Tips need to be EARNED!") I left around 10 percent, but I certainly felt the server hadn't earned even that. And, as the sighted member of our marriage, I'm 99 percent sure the waitress had lots to say about me (nothing positive), since she assumed I controlled the money placed on the table. (My husband did.) I do know we're probably not going to go to this restaurant for a long, long time. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable bringing friends to this place or recommending it to anyone else.

You'd be better at McDonalds. The food tastes better. You get a better value for your money. And the kids at the counter say "thank you."

4 Thank Wisconsin-Born