“Beautiful river!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful river!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I went on this canoe trip (kids ages 11 & 12), we got 1 canoe for the adults and each child got a small kayak. Looking back we would have got 1 canoe and 1 kayak - that way when the kids get tired they could take a break and switch off. It is a beautiful river, lots of winding to it. There are some small sandy areas to stop and picnic. It was a nice time - we got out at bridge 7, had intended to go to bridge 10 but the kids were tired out. I called the office an they had someone picking us up - very little wait. It is worth the trip and $, don't forget snacks, drinks, hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen!!! : )

4 Thank JNLOwens

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun time had on Family Canoe Trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our family rented several canoes in early August of 2013 to paddle down the Kickapoo River.

This is our second time going. The first time we went in August 2009, and used Titanic Canoe Rental, and had a terrible experience. The gentlemen who runs the business was very rude at the end of the trip due to a group of intoxicated individuals that weren't related to our party. Instead of dealing with them personally, he decided to blame everyone located at the pick-up area, even though our party had no alcohol of any kind nor were we late.

Now this year in 2013, we decided to try Drifty's Canoe Rental (http://www.driftyscanoerental.net/). I would highly recommend renting from them. They were very courteous, knowledgable, and were able to answer any questions we had. They do only take cash or check, just for planning purposes. Our family alone rented a total of 14 canoes over the course of the whole weekend, and not one person had a problem with Drifty's. We would definitely use them again.

As far as the river goes, as others have said it has its good and bad. The river does not smell, and there is no wildlife in the river that I would worry about being near. Only fish and a few beaver are noticeably present. Of course, the height of the river depends on the rain that year. This year when we went it was high enough for most of the canoe trip with a few shallow places you had to push to get through. Depending on the weight dispersed throughout your canoe, you may not stop at all. I'm not light as a feather so the back end got stuck a few times.

The river has several twists and turns, but there is no way you could get lost or end up going the wrong way, the light current prevents that. There are several places to stop along the way to relax, take pictures, or just enjoy the view. Along these beach areas, some are deep enough that you can go swimming, possibly even a few rocks to jump off of if you're adventurous. Be careful though, watch your step in a few places. The sand sinks faster than you realize. While canoeing this year we saw several beavers and a few deer that would run along the edge.

One of the options that you have is to either canoe down the river, kayak, or float in a tube. My family personally has never tubed down it, we usually canoe, but along our journey there were several groups tied together who just floated along. You also have the option to choose how far you want to go. There are several bridges that you can go to, each with a longer time limit. We went to bridge five (5). It took us about three (3) hours. I believe the time limit is six (6) hours max for the farthest bridge. We also saw several people with their own kayaks going down the river, if you happen to own your own.

Depending on when you go, we went on a Friday at 1:30 P.M., it can be busy. I would estimate over the course of our trip we saw at least fifty (50) other canoes. It was slightly congested in certain areas, but we made it through.

Although I selected "No fee for this attraction", that is half true. As I said if you own your own canoe, kayak, or tube, there would be no fee for you because you do not need to rent any of these from one of the local business.
If you or your family has the opportunity to canoe, kayak, or tube down the river I would highly recommend it. It's a great experience for all.

5 Thank Joseph R
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful canoe trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We enjoyed our trip down the Kickapoo river--would do it again if we are in the area. We used the Titanic Canoe Rental--comfortable canoes and friendly owners

1 Thank debrahr
Sauk City, Wisconsin
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great canoeing for all ages.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We took a group of kids (two 17, two 15 and one 6 year old) and all had a great time. Rented from Kickapoo Wild Adventures and so happy we did. The canoes were in great shape and the seats had back rests which was awesome after a couple of hours on the river. The owner of KWA was great, giving the kids a quick lesson on how to maneuver their canoe. When we arrived at our pick up point (15 minutes early) the owner was already there waiting for us to take us back to our car. Great service! Even though the river is super cold the kids still had fun playing in the water when we spotted a sand bars, etc. Everyone said this was the highlight of our camping trip.

3 Thank HollyPoast
Tomah, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great time had by all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We rented canoes from Kickapoo Wild Adventures and had a great time. We did go mid week so it wasn't to busy and we didn't run into any groups that were not "family friendly". KWA rents tubes, canoes and kyacks at great prices plus you get a longer ride since its located before the other places. Our canoes even had back rests! I forgot something on the bus that picks you up, the owner let me know and held it for me for several weeks until I could pick it up.

Visited July 2013