“Wisconsin--America's most carpeted state”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Chicago, Illinois
“Wisconsin--America's most carpeted state”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Spent the weekend of the 4th here as a base for checking out La Crosse. If you're planning on over indulging on the great local beers, this is a bit of a long drive from the main area of La Crosse (15 min drive)-so be warned.
The hotel itself is large, but still comfortable. Our king room was clean and stocked with all you'd expect.Also had a fridge and microwave.They have a decent indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub (really needs to be hotter-more of a warm tub). Too many little kids for my liking, but they do have adult only hours from 10pm to 11pm if you're there during those hours. I'd say it's a 5star place to stay if you are traveling with the kids, but if you're a couple i'd shell out the x-tra cash for one of the hotels on the river in La Crosse. Still it is friendly, and i had a pleasant stay. And really-- there is carpet EVERYWHERE in Wisconsin!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2009

WOW! This is a GREAT place :) From the lobby, to the rooms, to the pool to the bar....everything exceeded our expectations!

My husband and I stayed here because friends were having their wedding reception in one of the smaller banquet rooms downstairs. When we checked in (around 5:00) the hotel was VERY busy and we could see there were about 4 other events going on in the hotel that evening. At check in we were told that the hotel was very busy and that if we left we might not find a spot out front but that the adjoining parking ramp was also for the hotel. We did leave and returned from dinner around 6:30 and got a great spot, so parking was not a problem for us. Also, during check in we were told that we received a free upgrade to a suite. Sounded great to us!!!!

The suite was fabulous and I would have paid more to stay here (although I am glad we didn't have to). We had an enormous room, whirlpool (not a part of the bathroom like some hotels), and a deck that looked out to a beautiful field. What a great surprise! I would definitely come back and book a suite. It was spacious, quiet and very comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE (this was not a handicapped room) and the bed was awesome.

This hotel has a lot to offer. My husband and I even found a 10 person movie theater down stairs that you can rent out. How fun!!! The bar was awesome and served pizza and cheesy bread past midnight. Always a plus after a reception. The reception room itself was right by the pool which was a bonus for the kids. Great room that lead outside to a patio. Perfect. The bartender was inside the room and was very nice.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Very close to restaurants and shopping although there is a lot to do in the hotel. We did not go swimming but did check out the pool area. It is HUGE. There is even a seating area by a giant flat screen TV for those that want to relax but not swim.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Wausau
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We enjoyed our 1 night stay at the Stoney Creek in. The check in process went real well with very pleasant front desk personnel. We were able to get into our room early without any problem. The room was fairly spacious and had a very comfortable king bed. They have a very heavily used conference center which makes parking at the motel difficult when conference center is in use. They do have ample additional covered parking in a well lit parking ramp across the street. The walk to the motel isn’t bad when you use the back entrance. The complimentary breakfast is nice but nothing exceptional, but there is plenty to choose from. The pool area is very nice with and indoor/outdoor pool and large hot tub. We would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Our stay at the Stoney Creek Inn was disappointing from the beginning to the end. To begin with, we were traveling with a group and used a block reservation, so that we would all have rooms together....or so I thought. At check in, we were assigned rooms on several different floors, and wings of the hotel and were told by the unhelpful front desk staff, that there was nothing they could do about it. It became the first of many times we would hear that phrase throughout our stay!

The hotel was very full for this particular weekend and it appears that they are not capable of efficiently handling a large crowd. The lobby and halls were very busy, the pool was overcrowded and lacking towels, no space to sit in the breakfast area. Perhaps worst of all was the parking situation.

For some reason, this hotel has an extremely small parking lot for the number of rooms. Add onto that the traffic for their convention area and you have a downright mess!! We arrived back at the hotel at a reasonable time of the evening (7 p.m.) to find not a single space remaining in the hotel parking lot. They direct you to a clinic ramp behind the hotel and across the block. SO instead of parking at the hotel, I had to park in an unmonitored parking ramp and good distance from the hotel, walk a block and enter the rear of the hotel....into the banquet center. We walked right into a buffet supper for several hundred people in kilts (which did provide a bit of comic relief!!). NOT an ideal or really even acceptable arrangement. When I spoke to the front desk staff regarding my displeasure, I was simply told that this was "how it is when the hotel is full", and that they had to park in the ramp too. Gee how helpful, maybe they could grab our luggage when they leave for work!! Perhaps the icing on the cake was having to drag and carry our luggage BACK to the parking ramp in the morning.....and it was FIVE BELOW ZERO!! This arrangement is simply ridiculous and should be remedied immediately. There is no way this hotel should be allowed to have the number of rooms and the banquet facility with the amount of parking they have available!

Other than that, the rooms are decent but on the small side. The beds are overly soft and pillows lumpy (i see that others have noted that too). Our bathroom also needed a good "toothbrush" cleaning.....was starting to get grunge around the fixtures, etc.

I will not stay at this hotel again and would not reccomend to anyone to stay here during any time that has a potential for being busy. They simply cannot handle it!!

• Liked — Cute theme
  • Disliked — PARKING
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
stmaknight, Operations Support Manager at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the less then pleasurable experience you encountered at our Inn. I will pass along your comments to the management and Staff at the Hotell so that we can better serve our guests.

Mike Trudeau
Operations Support Manager
Stoney Creek Hospitality
milton wi
Reviewed December 8, 2006

I stayed here with my family for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. The hotel has a fun Northwoods atmosphere with some suites and cottage rooms. Some rooms overlook the adjacent wetland preserve.

The location is great, as it is close to food and shopping.

The kids love the pool. However, there is NO ventilation and everyone in our party had burning eyes just from sitting in the pool area.

We had a cottage room which had a queen bed with a pullout sleeper, chair, 2 tvs, deck, microwave, refrig, sink, and stove top. We had a cheap rate through my husband's corp. account.

There was a Christmas party and wedding reception one night so there was NO parking. For some reason, the parking lot at this hotel is quite small. People were parking across the street or in a nearby ramp. I don't understand the lack of inadequate parking when the hotel has meeting space to rent for functions.

The breakfast isn't great. There are cereals, bread, donuts, bagels and frozen waffles. Nothing "hot" or really filling. There is coffee 24/7. This would be the one area the hotel could really improve. The bagels tasted frozen. The donuts were awesome. They melted in your mouth!

We have stayed here before and I'm sure we'll stay again.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room that faces the preserve
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank traveler pam
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 2, 2006

This hotel was a very good value. The rooms were very clean and spacious, and there are a lot of amenities available. The northwoods cabin feel was unique, and tastefully done without being overly bearing. My only concern was the limited counterspace in the bathroom. I would stay here during my next visit to the area!

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank Julsmints
Central Illinois
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I was shopping by price and location near La Crosse, WI and ended up choosing this hotel. I have never seen these Stoney Creek Inns up close and thought I'd give them a try. Every experience from check in, to locating my room, to the continental breakfast was all very positive. I had a business meeting in La Crosse and I got there in under ten minutes from the hotel. They even have a nice relaxing bar downstairs, complete with pool table, big screen TV and more. There was a huge convention that night but I still felt pampered and content. I will be planning to go back and bring my family for a first night of a Dells Trip as it was only about an hour from that location. You have to love the woodsy decor at these places ...you feel like your staying at a really nice Northwoods Lodge or something like that. Top Notch!

• Liked — Decor, price, drink coupons
  • Disliked — crowded from convention
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to use the lounge downstairs, you get a two-for-one drink coupon at Check-in!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank hindsight31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
Home2 Suites by Hilton La Crosse

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse? Share your experiences!