“Very nice accomodations, but terrible breakfast bar”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Overall this is a well maintained and nice hotel. With a pool and conference center, the hotel provides a business and family friendly atmosphere. The rooms are pleasant and cabin themed with good lighting and excellent internet.

There is room for improvement:

Shower curtain rods are not bowed out. When you a tall person with broad shoulders, a small shower needs the bowed out curtain bar.

Tv Channel selection is OK. Controlling the TV is a little confusing with channel selection being difficult to decipher.

The worst and most hurtful service for this otherwise great hotel is the breakfast bar. Poorly executed with tiny garbage cans that easily overflow, it presents a poorly planned representation. There are no eggs or meat and the staff is more focused on tearing down the food bar than ensuring their paying customers have full stocking up to the 10 oclock cutoff on weekends, and useable garbage cans. Fruit selection is poor and the juice machines provide fruit flavored aide and not juice.

Management needs to do a rehearsal test of the breakfast bar and make a critical assessment of the operation, followed by procedural and product improvement.

King size bed was exceptionally comfy with great pillows. Room stayed warm and toasty.

The internet is great throughout the areas we visited.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joseph C
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear 1Joe, Thank you very much for the kind comments as well as the constructive criticism. We will take all of your remarks under consideration and I apologize for the breakfast experience you describe. We have a rotating weekday menu that always includes eggs and meat and perhaps we ran out of whole fresh fruit late in the serving time. That being said, there is never an acceptable time for our staff to focus on tearing down when guests are still present and we will address that with our team. Thanks for sharing your comments and for your loyalty. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We were traveling West in November and decided to stop for the night in La Crosse, WI. We first tried a big name hotel but it was filled and they recommended Stoney Creek Inn. I was hesitant at first but was so totally and pleasantly surprised with this Inn. The front desk employee was so helpful and pleasant. The lobby and rooms are decorated in a fun rustic theme. Everything was very clean and very well done. They had a nice continental breakfast. This hotel is centrally located to many restaurants and stores. We will absolutely stay here again when we travel West in the Spring!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed at Stoney Creek Inn last night as a romantic little get away with out the kids. We've been to some hotels in LaCrosse that were loud, dilapidated, and disappointing. So we were thrilled to find a clean, fun, family friendly place to stay. We had a theme room with a whirlpool, and a patio. The evening was wonderful... until we checked out.

During our stay we were considerate, quiet, and left the room clean. We obeyed the no smoking rule and even though it was windy and in the single digits over night, we stepped out on the patio to smoke tobacco. (We don't even smoke in our own home.) We even cleaned up our cigarette remnants from outside and took them with us and swept the little bits of left over tobacco off the table and into the garbage (we roll our own American Spirits). So nothing prepared me for what happened when I checked out.

The lady at the desk was rude to me in front of other customers and said that they smelled smoke in our room and accused us of smoking tobacco (and marijuana!) in the room. When I told her that was absurd and absolutely untrue she brought the "evidence" to us. In the garbage there was an "incriminating" piece of a rolling paper package, some of those tobacco flakes and literally a speck of ash from those smokes we took with us (It was the bit that fell off the end of one when we had set it on the table while we were packing up to go.)

I asked if it was against their policies to smoke on the patio outside. Of course it wasn't, so I told her that the only reason it would smell in the room at all was because the wind must have blown a hint into the room as we went in and out. If we had smoked even one cigarette in the room I assume that it would have triggered their high tech smoke alarms, and actually SMELLED strong or LOOKED smokey. She told me that they were going to fine us $100, and when we tried to defend ourselves she offered to call the police.

At this point it was obvious that they were going to say and do whatever they wanted to and there was no use arguing with blatant stupidity so we just left feeling confused and wronged. We weren't looking for any trouble in the first place, we obeyed all the rules completely, and we did nothing wrong by considerately throwing away our tidbits of garbage. Any reasonably sensible person would have been able to walk in there and distinguish the difference between a room that had actually been smoked in and the faint hint that they may have smelled from the smoke clinging to us as we came in from outside. (I suggest they post signs in all of the patio rooms warning that if you smoke outside and even the faintest smell travels in then they reserve the right to charge you a hundred dollars. In the summer when the doors and windows are open one would assume that it would happen even more often.) It never crossed my mind that this would be a possibility or I certainly would have walked to my car.

We had been planning to recommend this hotel to our friends and family, and to also make it a regular place for us to stay when we go skiing. Now I'm just disgusted, insulted, and feel mistreated. I'm baffled at how the rude staff could be so adamantly unfair. We did Absolutely NOTHING wrong! I'm astounded that they can even get away with this!

Room Tip: If you smoke tobacco, be sure to get a room without a patio door, or you might be tempted to smoke r...
Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Caliope R
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Caliope, I am so sorry that your "clean, fun family friendly" stay ended on such a sour note. While we must strictly enforce our no smoking policy to protect the rights and health of other guests and our employees, there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness. I’m so regretful that you felt our communication with you was inappropriate for the circumstance and for that I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had stayed at a Stoney Creek Inn previously and had enjoyed it, so when planning a trip to hike in the La Crosse area, I found this one and decided to book it. It met, or exceeded, all expectations. While the whole outdoorsy-Up North theme is a little over the top, it is fun. Our room was generous in size and the bathroom felt enormous. I think because of the high ceilings, it all seems very large. The bed was good, the breakfast worked for us, and it was clean and quiet. The reception staff gave us an excellent dinner recommendation, Manny's, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The price was extremely reasonable and we'd definitely stay at another Stoney Creek Inn, as well as recommend it to others!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I live in the Twin Cities and consider La Crosse to be a great escape. I now have a new favorite place to stay while there! I enjoyed the northwoods décor of the hotel. Everyone I encountered was very nice. The room felt like brand new - clean and quiet. I couldn't have asked for more. Ask for a room facing the marsh, the view is beautiful! I got a great rate and am already looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: I always recommend a top floor, non-connecting room for peace and quiet. The view of the marsh is g...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Got the conference price. My room was so clean and new looking. No wear and tear. Comfy King bed, cute bathroom. Nice little gym downstairs, free breakfast, free airport shuttle. Way beyond what I would have ever expected for the low price. Oh , and awesome wifi. free

Room Tip: third floor as vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this place last weekend for my father in-laws birthday. The past reviews were pretty much on par. We had a great time. The decor is as expected and a hit cheesy but we are in wisco after all. I really enjoyed the sweet giant bald eagle mural in the pool area. Awesome! We took my son swimming at 7 months old for the first time and he loved it. The beds were super excellent and comfortable. The breakfast was good as well with hot biscuits and gravy hiring the spot. A waffle bar would have been nice. Front desk staff was great letting us check out late so our baby could take a nap.

Cons: we did have noisy, echoey hallways with Sasquatch running up and down them but it's to be expected on a Friday night.

The parking is TERRIBLE when there is some other event going on. On our night there was a wedding reception. We had a pissed off baby that apparently didn't like the plethora of Minnesota Vikings fans in the area and we couldn't find a parking spot and had to park in the ramp a ways away. Not to convenient. It would have been nice if there was a lot for overnight guests only and not wedding attendees. Just a thought.

Not enough chairs in the pool area also.

All in all we had a great time and would return next time.

Stayed: November 2013
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear CyDogg, I certainly hope you got film of Sasquatch on the run and I appreciate your sharing your experience while sharing and showing your sense of humor. I’d like to think that having fun while staying with us is not optional, but should be, in fact, mandatory. Thanks for taking the time to share and please come visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
GrandStay Hotel & Suites La Crosse
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Hampton Inn & Suites La Crosse Downtown
Radisson Hotel La Crosse
Radisson Hotel La Crosse
#4 of 20 in La Crosse
Home2 Suites by Hilton La Crosse

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse? Share your experiences!