“WOW, what a place”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
New Richmond, Wisconsin
“WOW, what a place”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I travel for my job and use hotels frequently. I stay at the Stoney Creek Inn in Onalaska once a week and it always gets better and better. The facilities are outstanding and the service is even better. The rooms are unbelievable and the staff gives upgrades all the time. The breakfasts are good. The bar/lounge downstairs is also very nice. And the indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub area is always clean and nice. I can't say enough about how beautiful a hotel this is and the prices are better than most. I look forward to the staff there and my visit to Stoney Creek Inn every week.

Room Tip: Rooms with jaccuzi's are nice, so are the rooms with patios or 3 season porches. They have beau...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Jo C, Wow, what a nice review. Thank you for your kind words and for your loyalty. We will do all in our power to insure your experiences continue to please and continue to get better and better yet. We learn from from guests like yourself constantly and I promise we will never take your patronage for granted. We look forward to seeing you this week and next.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The super-size log cabin style entry looks welcoming and the theme continues in the lobby. The bar offers pizzas and drinks in the conference area, reached from the hotel lobby by a twisting sort of a subway system. It was OK for a snack but, for a good dinner it would probably be better to explore the eateries nearby. The room was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several times. I'm a NW Member and as usual, upon arrival we were upgraded to a whirlpool suite by the friendly staff. We have stayed on every level of the hotel and really like the top floor because of the vaulted ceilings. On the other hand, if you are staying in the warmer months, the rooms on the lower level are great if you are facing the nature preserve. I believe that most of these room offer a nice patio off the back of the room so you can relax or take a walk on the nature trails. We did hear some noise from the kids above us running around, but it was not as loud as other hotels. And be fair, it doesn't matter wear you stay, if there are kids above you, you will hear them. We always try to stay on the top floor to avoid this problem. The breakfast is what it is but there are many nice restaurants around to choose from.

We will be back again!

Room Tip: We always try and get rooms on the top floor overlooking the nature preserve.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at a Stoney Creek Inn, my first being in Peoria, IL last March. I enjoyed my first experience so much that I was pleased to be able to try them again. I booked our room about 6 weeks ahead of time so I was a little dismayed to come home from work 4 days before our most recent trip to have my husband tell me the hotel had called and that there was a problem with our reservation. I called back and got the details-there was an issue with the room I had booked but they had upgraded us (considerably!) and took 20% off what I was supposed to pay. I appreciated the fact that they contacted me ahead of time rather than waiting until I arrived. I got a fantastic room for a fantastic price and will definitely use them again.

Excellent pool area and a small game room. Adequate if uneventful breakfast is included. Comfortable common areas. Easy on/off to highway with plenty of shopping and dining around. Aestheically pleasing interior and exterior-especially enjoyed the outdoor fireplace and the outdoorsy and seasonal decor. Front desk staff was outstanding.

Only con would be the parking. They simply do not have enough parking to accomodate both overnight guests and banquet/conference attendees, which is compounded by a number of guests traveling with boats and/or trailers. We arrived around 5 p.m.and got one of the last few parking spaces, which made us afraid to go out again so we ordered in dinner. They share a free parking garage with the hospital next door. This structure is not terribly far away but far enough to be a nuisance in bad weather or even a hazard for someone (women) walking alone in the dark. I think offering a free valet service on their busy nights could alleviate a lot of potential problems and customer complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Stoney Creek Inn has a good location and a unique theme. I was there for a meeting, and the meeting room was large and comfortable.

Cleanliness in our room wasn't the best. Upon checking in, I noticed that the bathroom mirror was still splattered from the previous guest. I reported that to the front desk. Then when I took a shower, I notice that someone else's hair was on the shower tile. It stayed there for two days.

The first morning, my solid deodorant exploded on the bathroom floor. I picked up the large pieces but there was some little pieces on the floor which I presumed would be cleaned up by the housekeepers the next morning. No, the pieces remained on the floor for the next two days and were still there when we left.

Sure woudl be nice to have more places to hang towels in the bathroom.

During my meeting, someone shattered a glass. We called to report it, Later when it was still on the floor, I asked and someone in the room said the broken glass had been replaced. We had to call a second time to get the broken glass cleaned up. (Yes, that's right...the first person was fine with leaving the broken glass on the floor.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank E1722
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here one night for family w/e at UW LaCrosse. Always wanted to stay here and found a 'seal' on Expedia. Wasn't such a good deal...room on the lower level supposedly less noise...you can hear everything! Doors slamming l...conversations in the hallway... Coffee pot in the room still had coffee in it from the previous occupants...bathroom shower curtain is huge and bulky and leaves little room in the shower...corners of the room dusty..( you notice the. You drop things...) ..bed pretty sqishy.....breakfast was ok ......had lots of bready selection.s...bananas ready for banana bread , an orange or two, only protein was peanut butter and cream cheese.. oh and workman out side your window chatting ...again where one can hear them loudly--a bit freaks when not expected... But hey the hot tub is great....but not enough to have me return...I will pick the Holiday inn down the road...ok now the maids are using their walker Tolkien in the hallway...loud walker Tolkien! Sorry the planets did not align for this stay....and I'm not usually this picky!

• Stayed October 2012
Necedah, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed there for a wedding recently, if it hadn't been for the discounted wedding price we got I would have said this was extraordinarily overpriced. The breakfast is definitely nothing to get excited over - bagels, toast, muffins, cereal....all very blah.
The room is nice however hallway noise is very obvious from inside the room. Thankfully we weren't on a busy floor with a lot of kiddos.
The staff is very nice and welcoming. They were available anytime we had questions about the LaCrosse area.
Pool is average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
Home2 Suites by Hilton La Crosse

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse? Share your experiences!