“OK BUT.......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)

Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Madison, Wisconsin
“OK BUT.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express before because it's a pleasant place to stay BUT realized our room didn't have a working phone - not good in an emergency. When we turned on the unit to warm our room (it was a bit nippy in the morning) our smoke alarm started screeching immediately! And it smelled funny! When I reported it to the front desk that the smoke alarm went off, I was told that was because the heat setting in the unit hadn't been used for awhile. That might be a good answer but how would I know if it was a real problem. A smoke alarm screeching at 6:30 in the morning does make one wake up and wonder!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was quiet and very clean. We stayed a Saturday night and there seemed to be many families there. Their breakfast was excellent. Included in the buffet was sausage links, omelets, hard boiled eggs, as well as their signature cinnamon rolls and pancakes.
My room and paperwork were ready when I checked in at 2 pm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DCA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had a pleasant stay at the HI Express. I found it to be what I’d expect from this class of hotel. Not memorable for any reason good or bad but I would stay again. The building is a short drive from the airport and right off the highway, but it’s set back from the road so it’d be easy to miss if you didn’t know where to look. You could walk to the Olive Garden, and there are plenty of food choices across the street or in the nearby shopping center. There’s a gas station you can reach without getting on the main road that’s convenient for filling up on the way to the airport.

Check-in was fast, breakfast was available early in the morning, and I thought the staff in general was cordial.

The room was average. Clean but a little worn. One of the two beds had a depression in the center. The fridge was clean and I appreciated the microwave being in the room although I didn’t need it. The wi-fi was fast enough for my needs. The bathroom was clean on the surface. The underside of the toilet rim (see pictures) seems to indicate a more thorough job could be done.

Overall, I thought the HI Express was a good value for the price.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were given spacious room with two queen beds and a couch/coffee table area at a very reasonable rate. The room was clean and well-maintained, and we had a comfortable, quiet sleep. The continental breakfast had a variety of choices and the staff was courteous and accomodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Darby, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here a few days and overall was not bad ( not great either ) I see from some of the other reviews the same things. Attention to detail would be nice ( the so-called desk chair was broken and when I turned it over to see if I could fix it to use I found a few years worth of cobwebs and egg sacks ) I had the do not disturb sign on the first morning there ( until around 11am ) and no housekeeping service for that day ( I guess they only hit there early in the morning ) after that I am sure the sheets were not changed until I left ( when in a hotel it is nice to say change the sheets every other day if you're there for a few days ) WIFI was slow so beware if you have updates to install. Over all I would have to rate this as an average property. Yes the A/C units were dated and did bring up the humidity in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Seabeck, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed at this Holiday Inn Express in Onalaska. We booked it on Hot Wire, which considered this a top hotel, on par with the Radisson, Marriot, Holiday Inn, etc. I certainly wouldn't put it on par with any of them. It was conveniently located near the highway, the reception area was very nice and the breakfast served was quite adequate. On the down side, the room was not as clean as I expect in my travels. The loveseat was very badly soiled and I wouldn't sit on it without a towel underneath me. Ditto for the upholstered chairs. My complaint on the bathroom is although it is spacious there are no towel bars, so the towels either pile up on the vanity or on the floor!! So of course we wasted towels that could have been reused because there was no place to hang them. The king sized bed was very comfortable and although alot of kids were staying in the hotel it was very quiet. So overall I'd rate it about 2 and a half stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear jjber1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments about our nice reception and breakfast service. I am glad you found our hotel quiet and beds comfortable. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I am sorry that there were no towel bars in the bathroom and the room condition you received was not what you expect from our hotel. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort it may have caused you.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
#5 of 6 in Onalaska
3.5 of 5 stars 121 reviews
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
Hampton Inn & Suites La Crosse Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!