“An OK stay”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Fond du Lac, WI
“An OK stay”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This motel is pretty close to major highways, located in a retail area. It has some age on it and is a little beat up in some respects, like the bathroom. The staff is friendly and efficient. The breakfast area is small and you feel like other guests are on top of you while you eat. Also, many items were out at the time we ate, and it wasn't late in the morning. At over $100 a night, pricey for what you get. But the room was clean, and the shower was hot. I would stay there again if I needed the location, but wouldn't go out of my way.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the end of a hall, as many of the other guests tend to make noise in the hallways - e...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your time and review our hotel on Trip Advisor. You are correct that we are located just off interstate 90 (exit 4) which is located near many restaurants and retail stores. Unfortunately, our property does have some limitation due to its age, but we make up for it with our service and cleanliness. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to servicing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bayfield WI, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was tired from a long drive when I checked in. I got to my first floor room and found there was no frig or microwave. When I made the reservation on-line, the website I used showed that there were those things in the room (not that you have to request them).

So, I called the front desk and she said there was a room with both of those things on the 2nd floor. I was hauling a lot of luggage and misc. bags because I was staying a few days, but decided it would be worth it to move that all upstairs.(Even though I'm a 66 year old grandmother). So, I got to the 2nd floor room and....no frig or micro. Called the desk again, and she said she would find another room and bring me the key. So, I waited as I was getting more hot and more tired and more hungry. She brought me a key and said there was only the frig, but she would leave a note for someone to bring me a micro in the a.m. if that was OK. Which I said yes, it was OK.

Maggie was the front desk person helping me with this and she did her best and was very pleasant. Something is wrong with the system though.

As someone else mentioned, no light by the closet and those silly hangers you have to unhook make using the closet very irritating.

Also, nowhere near enough electrical outlets. I had to either unplug the lamp or the TV to use the coffeemaker. No outlets by the bed.

AC was working, but didn't ever seem to get the room as cool as the setting said.

I did have to use earplugs to block out the noise from other guests slamming doors.

Overall, it does look like it's seen better days.

Room Tip: If you want a frig and micro, make sure you request them ahead of time. And be prepared to use the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your time and review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologize for the less than perfect stay. First, we try to accommodate any request as best as possible i.e. first floor, microwave and / or refrigerator, quite room. However, it is not a guarantee that will be able to accommodate every request, every time due to unforeseen circumstances. Second, we are in the process of adding outlets to meet the recharge needs of today’s travelers and will be a standard by the end of 2014. Lastly, I will look for a lighting solutions for our closets since their currently isn’t a light which can be irritating. Thank you again and be sure that I will use your comment to improve our hotel.
Ripon, Wi
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is my 2nd review for this hotel. Once again the staff went above and beyond in customer service. My car alarm malfunctioned and woke up a few of their guests but both guys (I forget their names, but they'll remember) were fantastic to me and once again very helpful.

I didn't get the handicap access room this time...booked too late...but the room was very clean and comfortable. The beds were wonderful and the hotel itself was, as always, clean.

While this hotel looks rundown from the outside, the staff does a wonderful job of making sure everything within their power is great on the inside.

It would be really, really nice if the hotel would spring for a couple of automatic door openers for handicapped persons. The staff is great about greeting you and opening the door if they know you are there, but they have other duties and can't always be there. Being handicapped, driving a mobility scooter and trying to open the front door by yourself at 2am is not the safest or smartest situation in the world.

Please consider installing this before someone makes a complaint to the ADA compliance board:

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Onalaska Comfort Inn and I’m glad your return stay was as wonderful as the first. It’s always great to hear that my staff went above and beyond with their customer service and overall hotel cleanliness. Both are easy for us to control and make the difference between a good stay and a great stay. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Onalaska.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Everyone is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfy! Location is also great! Breakfast was also well stocked and I enjoyed my blueberry waffle. The AM front desk worker (Kyle, I think was very friendly even though he was very busy. I will be recommending this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Brewersfan1986
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. It is always nice to hear from a guest that had a great memorable stay. I will be sure to share your review with Kyle and thanks him for his friendly service. Thank you again and I hope we see you soon.
Cottage Grove
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Arrived WD May 21, 2014, on the final leg of our "Great River Road" trip. Unfortunately, this Comfort Inn appears to be in the guts of the business district. At the time of our stay, a parking lot was being constructed at a new business across the street, ... and our room overlooked a downed fence to the loading dock of the neighboring Sam's Club business. Building, in general, was tired and in need of some grounds improvements.
We we pleasantly received and professionally checked in to our room. The room had an extreme musty odor, maybe due to the room ventilation being shut off. After running ventilation, the odor did lighten up, but, never did go away completely. The bathroom floor had debris on floor at the back of toilet. Rest of room was clean, but, as mentioned earlier, was not very quiet due to the neighborhood activity. AC for room was somewhat noisy, but not to the point of intolerable ... Had to manipulate window curtains so they wouldn't blow open all night. Beds were comfortable.
Morning continental breakfast was adequate, but, eggs were dry and pastries seemed to be " day old " ( they too were dry ). Check out was professional and pleasant. Would not stay here again, though the value may have been good ... Would rather have better conditions, with less activity in the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. First, I would like to apologize of behalf of my entire hotel for being less than exceptional. I’m happy to hear that you were pleasantly receive and professionally checked in, however I am disappointed about the room cleanliness you experience. I will check and clean the PTAC unit to ensure it is running correctly and not causing any further unpleasant odors. Thank you again and I hope you give us a second chance to provide you with an exceptional stay.

Travelers are raving about these Onalaska hotels

Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I can't believe I am actually writing a negative review for a Comfort Inn. I routinely stay at CIs, so it's sad to have to write this.

Visited this particular CI for a family wedding nearby. We stayed three nights mainly because we had paid ahead.

What we liked:

1. Our room, all three days that it was serviced, was always very clean.
2. The bathroom counter is nice and long--plenty of room for his and her stuff.
3. Complimentary breakfast. CI's in Onalaska was good. Not great, but it would do if you have to be someplace in a hurry and don't have time to go out to breakfast. I don't think anyone wants to eat it several days in a row, though.
4. Complimentary USA Today.
5. Close to shopping and restaurants.
6. Friendly faces at the front desk (most of the time time)--keep reading.

What we didn't like:

1. The front of this hotel reminds me of the budget (low, low budget) places I stayed in when I was younger. Underwhelming front facade.
2. Trash around the front drivethrough that should have been swept away daily.
3. Ugly, ugly red rock instead of landscaping. This is what really got me: I felt like I was staying in a Motel 6. The rock attracts trash, which is onerous to remove.
4. No one tells you that this hotel backs up to the freeway, so though you may have a nice, secure second floor room, you can't open your window at night (and it's not even desirable during the day) because the noise of the trucks is HORRIBLE.
5. Bed sags.
6. Toilet paper and facial tissue are clearly made from recycled newspapers. Gray and rough.
7. We were amused when the front desk advised us that we were staying in a "suite." Suite???? We told her she was mistaken, we had an ordinary room. No, she said, you have a couch in your room, so you're staying in a suite. Oh. We could see that at one time there had been a frig and microwave in our room. The cubbies were there and the electrical outlets. But the appliances had been removed, likely a budget decision, which annoyed us.
8. Which brings me to the main problem with this hotel: Everywhere there was evidence of a management decision to go cheap. The ugly rock instead of landscaping. The awful tissue/TP in the room. The removal of the fridge and microwave. The watery orange juice. The lack of staffing. We tried and tried to get an extra blanket for our room, but we were told there were none, we would have to wait for a blanket to come out of the laundry. We waited hours. It never came, so we just went to bed without it. What does this hotel do for a couple whose baby wets the bed or if some poor traveler gets sick or spills something on a blanket?
9. Most hotel rooms have an entryway light. This one does not. Instead it is located at the top of the no-longer-used fridge/microwave cubby, which is set into the wall and throws very little light. Consequently there is no light at all in front of the closet. Worse, when you open the closet door to retrieve an item, the closet door blocks out the little bit of light that might come from the no-longer-used fridge/microwave cubby. It was impossible to see my clothes and even harder to unhook the silly hotel-style hangers from the rod--because you can't see which way to jerk the hanger. Very annoying.
10. The morning we left for the airport, at 5:30, we tried and tried to find a front desk employee to give us our final receipt. My husband even went into the kitchen to find someone. We never did find an employee, so we left our room keys at the desk and drove off to catch our flight with no receipt. As my husband was searching for assistance, I stood in the foyer with all our luggage, contemplating the black spilled liquid/food on the floor, likely left over from the night before or even the breakfast the day before. Really, it was too much. I knew we would never come back.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the reservation person that you want a room far from the indoor pool. It is quite...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on our hotel. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy and for that I sincerely apologize. You brought up multiple points that are within my staffs control and can and will be improved upon I apologize again for not living up to your expectation, but would like to thank you again for your review.
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure why this is considered a 2 star hotel. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The check in staff was very nice and accommodating. The outside could use some enhancements. Overall definitely worth the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank BigFishingFan
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for the 5 star review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable hotel. I will also thank my staff for provided you with outstanding service. The reason we are a two star hotel is because we are a limited service hotel and offer less amenities compared to a full service hotel. Thank you again for your 5 star review and we look forward to your next trip to Onalaska.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Baymont Inn & Suites La Crosse/Onalaska

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!