“Family reunion group”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights with a family reunion group (about 20 people). This hotel met our needs very well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good. The staff was friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to help us when we wanted to use the breakfast room as an evening gathering place.
As others have noted there is no elevator, so be sure to ask for 1st floor if that is a problem. You may also want to ask if you want to be away from the freeway. Our room was on 2nd floor, but I never noticed the freeway.
Some of our group did miss the hot tub, which was out of service.

Room Tip: No elevator. Ask to be away from the freeway. Ask for a microwave and frig--many rooms have them b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm happy that your family received excellent services as well as a clean comfortable room. I understand the disappointment of guests when they find out we no long have a hot tub. Due to the accessibility requirement for existing pools and spas, we decided to close our hot tub. I apologize for the inconvenience of not having a hot tub, but am glad you were still able to enjoy your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Nice staff, clean & nice sized room. Good sized bathroom countertop to spread out essentials. Refrigerator and microwave in room. Internet worked very well in the room. Breakfast had scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, waffles, pastries, cereal, fruit, etc. so if you didn't find something you could eat, you weren't hungry! They also had herbal tea bags which many hotels don't offer. Friendly, courteous staff. Smallish pool. Hallway carpet a little worn in spots but I don't sleep in the hallway! Was a little tricky to find.

Room Tip: If you are alight sleeper, ask for a room away from the highway as you can hear traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. It is always nice to hear compliments about our staff, service and our accommodations. I'm also glad that you enjoyed our herbal tea, which is offered 24 hours a day in our lobby. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

As a handicapped traveler (I use a scooter) and a former hotel General Manager, I see things from a different point of view. There are few hotels that live up to the 'handicapped room' claim and even fewer that live up to my expectations of cleanliness, but this one did a good job.

Upon entering the hotel you find that there isn't an automatic handicapped door, but the door is so lightweight that it is a breeze to open, so no problems there. Plus, front desk staff was more than obliging with helping with doors and luggage.

First surprise was that the room had an extra wide door! I was especially surprised because it was an older hotel, so they obviously had to renovate that to get that feature. Second surprise was that it opened outward! This was great because getting luggage out in the morning is a much bigger pain (IMHO) than getting it into a room at night, and this made it so much easier.

ITA that the hotel is showing it's wear but what is most important to me in an older hotel is how clean it is, and this was clean, clean, clean. The bed was soft but not too soft, there were plenty of pillows and the white linens were blinding! lol

The trick to the A/C is to crank it all the way to high cool, make sure the dial is set to cold and then give it 15 minutes. Like many hotel A/C units, it doesn't have a lot of features but once it got going it worked great. No problems the whole time.

Lets talk handicap bathrooms. The walk-in shower had plenty of railings and they even provided a shower chair! One major suggestion I would make would be to invest in this particular shower chair, as the one in there is a bit rickety for a larger sized person. It is well worth the investment.

The breakfast was on par with other hotels but what made everything, breakfast, housekeeping and the front desk outstanding were your staff. They were fantastic to me. Genuinely nice (the breakfast lady even offered to help me get my meal on Sunday!) and went the extra mile every time they saw me.

Considering the rate (always a concern) compared to other hotels in the area, I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for 118 if you are handicapped.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathy R
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you and exceed your expectations with our handicap room and cleanliness. I'm extremely pleased to hear about the excellent service you received from all of my staff members. I will share your review with my staff members and thank them for all their hard work. Thank you again for staying at the Onalaska Comfort Inn and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed there on a weekend motorcycle trip. Used points, so the stay was free. Room was clean, but AC didn't work - or we couldn't get it to work - on the first night. Breakfast selection was good, but scrambled eggs were really bad.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey L
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. It's nice to hear that you were able to redeem you Choice Privileges Points for a free night stay. I would like to apologize that you were unable to get our AC unit to work and that our scrambled eggs were unsatisfactory. If you wouldn't mind contacting me at 608-781-7500, I would like to discuss these issues, so we can work to correct them for future guest. Thank you again for taking your time to review our hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Comfort Inn at Onalaska, Wi. is very clean and complete. The location is easy to get off and on the Interstate 90. Restaurants are very close and convenient to this location. The service at the front desk was very attentive and professional. The young man even was wearing a tie, about unheard of in this day and age. Highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay during your recent visit. I'm glad that our hotel was the perfect location for you, since we are located just off Interstate 90 and within minutes of dozens of restaurants. I will be sure to share your compliments with my staff and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had a large job locally here and so I booked a room at this hotel. I was so disappointed that after I just moved 10,000 lbs. of household belongings up 2 flights of stairs that when I got to my hotel I had to even walk up stairs to get to my room. I really was not up for that and was not in the mood for it. I would not suggest staying here except for convenience sake.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I understand the inconveniences of our hotel not having an elevator and I would like to apologize that we gave you a room on the second floor. We do try and accommodate any guest request and we would of gladly given you a first floor accommodation had we known you would be moving a household during the day. Please accept my sincere apologize and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I chose this property as I am in a wheelchair and they advertised a roll in shower. After making three calls and confirming this room was available, upon arrival we found the room occupied already! Our second night, they offered to let us change to that room but it would have necessitated moving 3 suitcases, cooler, repacking toiletries, etc and did not seem worth the effort. After complaining to the manager, we were given a discount on the rate we paid. Overall, the motel was clean, employees were very kind and breakfast was very good. However, if you have special needs/requests they may not be able to provide what you specifically reserve.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GinnyWaterloo_Iowa
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I understand special needs / request and we try to accommodate any request to the best of our ability. I want to apologize again for not being unable to accommodate your need for a roll in shower, since the one room with a roll in shower was occupied. I have discussed this issue with my front desk staff and want to thank you again for bringing it to my attention. Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
2 mi away
Baymont Inn & Suites La Crosse/Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
2 mi away
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!