“Nice stay.”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is your normal Comfort Inn. It has great prices and doesn't charge for pets.

Pros:
- Clean
- Safe
- Nice breakfast
- Good value
- No pet fee

Cons:
- Rooms could use some updating and minor repairs

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Non-smoking hotel. First room we were given stunk and definitely had had smokers in it previously. Desk worker was accommodating and offered a different room. Turns out it was an upgrade. The new room had several long dark hairs in the bathroom and on the bathroom counter. My husband and I both have very short hair so the hair was not ours. After I whacked my ankle on something hard while walking around the bed, upon lifting up the bed skirt, we discovered the mattress set was off the bed frame by at least six inches. We put the mattress set back on the frame. The mattress was absolutely horrible - WAY too soft. We think it was soft as in "needs to be replaced" soft. We tossed and turned all night and were incredibly stiff and sore the next morning. It took at least a week to get the kinks out after sleeping on that mattress.

Bathroom lighting was poor. I don't remember the ratio now but there were three of one kind of bulb and one of another. Fluorescent:regular.

Upon check in we did ask for recommendations as to a restaurant and were given a local map with restaurants on it. It is a pet friendly hotel so we were not surprised when we heard dogs barking down the hall. We were surprised when we heard a smoke detector go off in a room a couple doors down from us.

We did stay there last year and all was well then. It does have a convenient location to the freeway. We did not eat the continental breakfast.

Next time we go to that area (we have a child in college there so there will be a next time), we would rather spend the extra money and stay closer to campus than spend a week getting the kinks out after a night of tossing and turning.

A letter to the hotel has elicited no response and our comments on the follow up survey after our stay have also not been replied to.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank judythemom5
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The staff is more or less cooperating depending who is there. The check-in has proved difficult. The attendant who seemed more interested in his meal that by customers has botched the process. There was a pricing error on my bill that the staff has corrected the next day without any problems. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The high-speed connection was stable and very good. The dining area was appropriate for the people and lunch was very good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vireago
Ryan K, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

Vierago,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry that the check in process was not a pleasant experience for you. Our principal goal at our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guest at a reasonable price. It's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. Also, be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

This motel is not only convenient but offers everything we need. It includes a refrigerator, excellent wi-fi and an above average breakfast. It is Freeway close and near a selection of restaurants. It is also close to a couple of Wisconsin's great bike trails.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I wish I would have. There was mold growing on the window treatments, and it smelled like it. I don't know how the air conditioning can be turned on it's highest setting and the room still had that horrible damp, sticky, stinky smell. I though air conditioning was supposed to remove moisture from the air. Breakfast was okay, but we ran out the door as soon as we were done eating. It was a one night pit stop for my family, but if I had to stay there for more than one night I would have checked out right away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here for State Track Meet because there were not a lot of options as every place is booked solid. Location was good. Right off Interstate and very near restaurants and shopping. Didn't spend much time there other than to sleep. Bed was pretty comfortable. Lots of pillows. Free breakfast was adequate. Room was a bit worn, and the whole place could use an update, but I didn't have any major complaints or problems. Would have rather stayed at the Radisson, but it wasn't available. The Comfort Inn was very average but OK for what I needed.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I am a Choice Hotels rewards member. I try to stay at a Choice hotel whenever possible. I will never return to this hotel. The first thing you notice pulling up to the hotel is it is old and looks a bit run down. I was pleasantly surprised when we entered the lobbby. Things were looking up. Not for long.

The check in process did go fairly smoothly. Maybe I do not travel enough but I was taken aback by the $1.50 per night charge for the safe, whether we used it or not. When I asked about this, the clerk replied that I could have it waved when we leave. I asked why she just could not take it off now. She pointed to a sign and said she was unable to but the sign would explain everything. It does not. Its only a $1.50 but, to me, it is the principle. Why should I have to remember to have it removed? This is a scam.

The room was large and clean. No complaints there. I would have liked a refrigerator and/or a microwave but we were not staying long so really not a big deal. The T.V. is old, certainly not a flat screen. The bathroom is a typical hotel size.

We went to the front desk to ask about where to eat. The clerk did give a map of local restaurants but in doing so stated that her ability to give directions "sucked!" Her word, not mine. Am I a prude? I guess I expect more professionalism.

My wife wanted a diet Pepsi around 9pm. There is a Pepsi machine on the second floor where we were staying. I took money to the machine only to find that there was no Pepsi or diet Pepsi in the machine. The machine was not empty. There was just no option for either soda. It was mostly water. Okay, this is an annoyance but not a big deal. I went down to the main floor to the other machine. It did have diet Pepsi but the machine ate my money. AHRG! I went to the front desk and got a refund.

The hotel has good location right off I-90. I just have higher expectations for a Choice Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Baymont Inn & Suites La Crosse/Onalaska
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!