“Our last attempt with Golden Mast- YUK!”
Review of Golden Mast Inn

Golden Mast Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Mast Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Okauchee
Cuisines: American, German, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Street
Description: Golden Mast Inn, in Okauchee, WI, is the area's leading restaurant serving Okauchee, Oconomowoc and surrounding areas since 1967. We offer a full service menu, wedding specials, Sunday brunch, live bands and more. For your next meal, visit Golden Mast Inn, in Okauchee.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

HOW DOES THIS PLACE SURVIVE!!!????
We have went to Golden Mast a few years previous to try their food. We went for a special occasion and besides the atmosphere (the building and decor are really nice and 'warm' with all the dark wood. It has that 'Old European' feel)-the food was overpriced and nothing special.
In the following years we'd stop in to just have a drink in the bar area, which is super cozy on winter nights- great fireplace and again, the decor is very inviting.
So we recently thought we'd give their dining area another shot, when we had family in town and were trying to find a more formal place for dinner.
Well needless to say, the food was just awful! Worst then the first time we attended.
I had a lobster and steak- the lobster was dried out and small- the steak was overdone. And the lettuce in my salad was browning on the edges...
Another person at our table ordered the duck, which was ALSO dried out and a sad excuse for duck. And the last person at our table, sadly ordered a steak, which overdone and the meat itself was even questionable if it was BEEF OR NOT!
It was such a waste of money and embarrassing considering we were trying to treat visiting family to a nice dinner out.
We will NOT be giving Golden Mast another try from here on out..
Its a shame that this beautiful building with so much potential, cant get their 'food management' in line so that their menu has quality dishes in which a patron doesnt feel 'robbed' after their meal has ended...All I can say is YUK!!

2  Thank MMS8383

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been here multiple times, both for their brunch (which is fantastic) and their traditional Thanksgiving dinner. If you aren't in the mood to cook and clean, this can really be a taste of home.

The atmosphere is very nice, and there are many seats with a WONDERFUL view of the lake. The price you pay for the food includes the upscale feel of the restaurant and the view of the lake.

Thanksgiving at the Golden Mast is traditional Thanksgiving food (turkey, mashed potatoes, beans, etc) served family style, until you're done with it. The service and amount of second plates can be a little flaky, but the food itself is quite good. I always enjoy my meal when I go.

You would likely spend just as much making dinner at home, and would also have to cook, clean, and entertain. For the price, it is difficult to beat this particular meal.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited the Golden Mast in June for our anniversary and again this week for a birthday celebration for the steak and lobster special. Both visits were during the week when they are not that busy. In June everything started out fine but our waitress was less than attentive once she dropped off the salads. She never asked if we wanted fresh ground pepper and we waited 20 minutes between our salad and entree. She forgot to bring the wine I had ordered to come with my entree and never came back to check after she delivered the entrees. I was away from the table when the entrees were delivered so I could not remind her about the wine and she did not swing by after the entrees were delivered to check on things, so my husband eventually went to the bar to get it. The older gentleman at the Golden Mast main bar is a class act and he was on that right away and got a hold of the waitress who did come over and apologize. We were given two free drink tickets and we just chalked it up to a bad day. This week when we visited again, we got the same waitress. We ordered appetizers first. The fried calamari was yummy, very light and crispy on the outside and served with a cocktail sauce. The escargot were not the best I have ever had but they were good. One member of our party ordered the rib eye and told the waitress he wanted it "very rare" which we all heard him say. Once again, we finished the salad course and waited a good 15 to 20 minutes for our entrees to arrive. Three of us had the steak and lobster special and our steaks were cooked perfectly and the lobster, while it was small (3 to 4 ounces) was very good and was just enough for me. Unfortunately, when the rib eye was cut and tasted it was more toward the "medium" scale than the "very rare" scale. We called the waitress back and showed her the steak. She took it to the kitchen and then returned with it and a flashlight. She said the chef said to show us the steak with the flashlight because the dining room lighting is somewhat dark and perhaps we couldn't see that it was really cooked rare. We were flabbergasted. First, the steak was clearly NOT rare which should be 75% red through the center and about 120 degrees, meaning "very" rare would be something less than this. Since we were not going to give in, she eventually took the steak back and they cooked another one which was cooked perfectly rare. Our waitress did bring out a complimentary small strawberry schaum torte dessert for the birthday person which was thoughtful and appreciated. I am not sure what is happening here, whether it is a kitchen problem or a waitress problem but after the flashlight episode I decided to update my review because that was kind of bizarre and I would feel bad if this happened to someone else who ate here on my recommendation. Our bill for four people was $210 not including tip and $40 spent at the bar beforehand. I hope whatever is happening gets corrected because we have loved dining here and I am not sure how many $300 per table on a weeknight customers they can afford to lose.

3  Thank Tucker1575
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Golden Mast is a popular restaurant for the Okauchee lake crowd that can seat 100's with there outdoor seating. Our wait was over an hour where we waited in the main bar and sipped some very expensive cocktails, wine and beer while being completely ignored by the waitstaff (we had to order refills at the bar). When finally seated we had a very nice outdoor table with a nice view of the lake.
The ratio of waitstaff to tables was terrible and service suffered as a result (our waitress was friendly but missing in action for much of the meal). The fish fry starts at $17 and up if you want perch or walleye. They serve family style and we all ordered the cod which came with bread, slaw, French frys and potato pancakes. The fish was not the freshest and cooking oil was overused and left an unpleasant flavor. Forget the pasty potato pancakes they were terrible ( any German restaurant should be ashamed of them). If your part of the local lake crowd this is a popular hangout but I would not return. They are way over priced especially considering the food quality and service.
This review is only based on the Friday fish fry.

4  Thank Peter L
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I arrived on a Friday evening for an anniversary dinner. Reservations are not accepted so we were expecting a wait especially when we saw the massive parking lots full of cars (largest parking areas I have ever seen for a restaurant-and I have traveled around the world). To us it was a good sign that many cars were there--must be a good place. When we walked in the beautiful European style restaurant to our surprise there were no clients waiting. In fact, this gentleman was standing at the desk and welcomed us. I commented on the Bavarian flare and found out the gentleman was the owner of this massive beautiful restaurant! When we told him it was our anniversary and asked for a window table to view the lake, he personally selected our table and took us directly to it! That's never happened to us before either!!! The service was extremely quick and the food was piping hot and most delicious!! I chose deep fried cod which is usually quite a step down from Haddock, but they made it taste the same--it was great. The prices were a little high, but not for the great location, atmosphere and food! The owner also told us to look around the establishment after we finished eating! So we did and discovered a piano bar with dancing (got to dance to our wedding song-how cool is that!) and discovered new rooms for dining all over the place-each with it's own wonderful atmosphere!! Many weddings are held here and I can see why! I am going to tell everyone about this new find and highly recommend this dining experience to anyone and everyone!!