“Wonderful Meal”

Joseph Armeli Meat 'n Place
Cuisines: Steakhouse
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were served some nice, crusty Italian bread, and some quality, peppery, olive oil for dipping. Our baked French onion soup was excellent, although the portion size was larger than expected. We both made the mistake of eating it all, and we filled up more quickly than we wanted. If you like BFO, you might want to split one with your spouse and save some of your appetite. I had a filet mignon, 7-oz. with 3 breaded jumbo shrimp of extraordinary size. I asked for the steak to be peppercorn encrusted, and they accommodated my request. The steak was cooked to medium rare perfection, and was tender as I've ever had. The fork just sank into it. The peppercorns were zippy, the way I like them, and they were ever so slightly charred...again, perfect. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a tablespoon of some unique sauce, but that's just a small detail. My wife also very much liked her chicken cordon bleu, served with a light gravy. Our waitress was a very friendly older gal, and she gave great service, and their table staff was also very attentive, always on hand to fill your water glass. The place was elegant and up-scale, and we had an excellent time. The only downside was that the wine was overpriced. The meals weren't cheap, either, with many in the $30's, and surf and turf going for something $65...but in this case we got what we paid for...a very fine dining experience from A to Z. If we're ever back in the area, we'll be back for sure.

• Visited September 2011

Bloomington, Illinois
“Great food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We had a very romantic dinner here seated next to the fireplace. It was beautifully decorated in December. The service was prompt and friendly and the food was excellent. A concern was soda cost $4 each. Our only suggestion would be to add a chocolate mint at the end of the meal.

2 Thank jsteve4
Wisconsin
“I'll Pass”
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I had head that this place was good for quite some time. When I went it did not live up. The fish fry was dry and the atmosphere was stale.

1 Thank HarveyThomas