“Obviously the place to eat breakfast in Oconomowoc!”

Amalia's Family Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 86 Restaurants in Oconomowoc
Cuisines: American
Mabank, Texas
“Obviously the place to eat breakfast in Oconomowoc!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First time in Oconomowoc, so we weren't sure where the restaraunts were. We saw this one first and stopped. There was a line of people waiting to be seated and we almost left to go somewhere else, but I'm so glad we didn't. We were seated in under 5 minutes even though they were packed. Our waitress was prompt, friendly, the food came out quick and hot. It was delicious. I got eggs benedict--plenty of hollandaise sauce and the hash browns were extra crispy. :) My husband got waffles, eggs, and bacon; all very good. Love the atmosphere, the quaint setting, and the local art on the walls. We would definitely eat there again.

• Visited September 2012

Bonita Springs, Florida
“Great place for breakfast”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We could easily eat breakfast here every day. Great selection and the items were served while still piping hot.

Visited August 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
“Wonderful Family Restaurant”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Amalia's was a delightful find in this quaint downtown! We just happened upon this restaurant when scouting for someplace to have breakfast. We couldn't have been happier with what we found! YUM!

Visited June 2012
Wisconsin
“Extensive menu & friendly staff”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My mom and I stopped here for a light brunch...and loved it! It's crowded inside, but the food was excellent and the waitress was friendly - almost to fault! We shared a special of the day - Strawberry Banana Crepes, plus an order of hashbrowns (extra crispy please!) and the waitress talked us into mimosas, which were also on special. She was so friendly and chatty and helpful with the food selection. It wasn't exactly a "light" brunch that we had hoped for, but the food was delicious, the hashbrowns perfect (we're picky about the crisp factor!) and the menu was huge and everything loooked great! I will definitely go back - maybe even purchase a pie to go as a dish to pass in the future.

• Visited June 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious. Eat here!”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I am not one to randomly toss around a 5 star rating; you have to EARN it! Went there today (a Saturday) for lunch (around 12:30). We were a party of seven (including one 6 yr old and one 2 year old) and were immediately seated. My brother-in-law has been raving about this place, so this was our chance to get out and see if it lived up to all of the fuss.

Orders ranged from the cod to the pepperoni pizza (kids' menu) to the BLT panini (with the T on the side) to the stir fry and a few other entrees and a side of fresh fruit. My panini was delicious, although, admittedly I am not a panini connesuer--mostly because I don't often get (i.e., "like") them. It came with a big ole dill pickle and soup. I gave my chicken dumpling soup to my husband (but later regretted it after smelling and then taste testing it. Yum!). I had a side salad instead. The fresh fruit included cantaloupe, muskmelon, and watermelon.

The cod had an option of mashed potatoes, which someone else in the party ordered. It came slathered in gravy. Wished the waitstaff would ask if you'd like gravy as a nice reminder. Unfortunately the gravy was not wanted in this case, but we hear the mashed potatoes are made from, get this, real potatoes!

Many of the entrees include a dessert (ice cream, for instance), but you can also "upgrade" to some of their pie slices for a $1-2 more. I went for the additionally priced Raspberry Muffin. Just like their slice of Cherry pie (which went over quite well by its recipient), the muffins are huge and, more importantly, delicious. (Reminds me of the Mug 'n Muffin muffins that used to inhabit the Amalia's location.)

We had our water refilled multiple times without our asking, so the wait staff was on top of their customer service, to be sure. We had several other requests (additional napkins, straws, etc) that were all handled mostly without problem and without much wait.

The kids were given crayons and placemats to color. A highchair was easily provided and seating was quite child-friendly. Three to each side of the bench (which can be moved) with room at the end for the highchair. 4.5 stars for the child-friendly aspect (not quite 5 b/c there wasn't that much in the restaurant itself for kids to look at/be entertained by).

Food and service, though, were a definite 5 stars. I had so much food that I had no need for dinner and that's not easily accomplished. Oh and parking was no problem. Either park on WI Ave. or in the big lot behind the restaurant (drive around the corner and you'll see it's free parking for two hours). Would absolutely go back and would definitely recommend it to others. Certainly better than any restaurant in Watertown, as of yet, though it pains me to admit.

• Visited January 2011