“Disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
Waupaca, Wisconsin
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I usually only write about my experiences if they are either really good or really bad. We attended a trade show here Oct 2013. We were in what I believe was a renovated king room as it appeared to have new paint on the walls. For a renovation It surprised me the room was so dingy as the lobby of the resort and the public areas were not bad. The room experience began as we walked down the hall to the room ---which was a long walk and there was an odd smell... it kind of morphed into garlic bread, to smelly feet, to just this sweet smell... WE got into the room and boy was it dark, even in the daytime. Even with every lamp on, it was like a cave. The lighting by bathroom sink was even dim. Apparently when they did the walls there was overspray of the texture as it lined the entire edge room on the carpet.The rooms are nothing like they appear on the web site, no duvet , an old box tv on which every other channel was functioning when we were there. There was something missing that made the room feel stark. The lamp on the desk was by no means a work lamp but the shade was broken and had paint or something all over it.(see pic) No one even cared enough to replace it. The showerhead was dirty...There was a sign pricing out individual items in the room, (see pic if you think I am kidding) should you choose to purchase them, -- being that they were pretty dated, the sign was quite ironic and almost came off as snide.
It is not that the room was not clean when we got there, it was clean. There was just no attention to detail. A flat Screen Tv and some updated and brighter lighting would go a long way in these rooms. After our first night we assumed that after a long day at the trade show, we would return to clean room. We were wrong! It hadn't been touched. Other people attending the show relayed theirs had not been cleaned at all their first day. The housekeeping staff did show up after we had finished the trade show and had gone out and returned to the room for the night... but by that time the last thing we wanted to do was watch them clean. We just requested clean towels and let it be. I don't see why a guest should not be able to expect their room to be done before 5 pm. Unfortunately the room was the biggest disappointment of the stay.
We went to The Indigo bar our fist night --it was not what I would call overcrowded, the tables were not full, but it took over 25 minutes to get a drink. As we stepped up to the bar, the guy sitting there said, good luck, better order two with as long as they are taking. In defense of the staff, I think it was poor scheduling. Management had to know they had 300 people at that show and a large number of them would be staying there. They should have accommodated that with staffing. The pool was okay but a little worn down. I think my husband put it best when he said, this was probably a nice place at one time.
Overall, staff was good, the place as a whole was okay--but many areas were quite dark as well.
I had an excellent burger at Rick's, one of the best I've had. Even the buffet lunches for the show, were good. The rooms really let the resort down. I've been in better Super 8's When you hear Resort and Spa, you have some expectation of luxury... this just didn't fit that bill. Is it a good place to collapse after a long day at a trade show? Yes, it's fine...but I would not go here for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: I would ask to see a room before they check you in to it, that is the only way to know what kind of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ourbuck
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review about the Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest experiences. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy a great meal at Rick's Cafe. I would like to apologize for any less than satisfactory accommodations that you have mentioned. We certainly strive to exceed each guest's expectations, and it is unfortunate that we missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chetek, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Ugh. Hotel was extremely out dated. Staff at front desk were minimally attentive. Breakfast selection was pathetic. Breakfast buffet was highly overpriced, as were drinks in the bar. The only bright spot was the very nice young man working in the bar. Our room had areas were the carpet was torn, lights were nearly sideways on the walk, ac barely worked, water stains on ceiling, odd smell in room as to too it all off the room appeared to has been painted by kids, as there was paint slopped on the ceiling. Over priced!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on the Olympia Resort. I would first like to apologize for the less than satisfactory challenges you faced while staying as our guest. It is certainly our main priority to exceed all guest's expectations, and it is unfortunate that we missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Yours In Service,

Guest Services Manager

Travelers are raving about these Oconomowoc hotels

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Olympia Resort is large on size, but outdated and showing its age. The peeling bathtub, older television, lack of hot tub all made for a less than ideal getaway. It did have a great amount of space for our larger group and the hotel bar was a plus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on the Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest experiences. I have forwarded your comments to the correct managers to be corrected at once. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This place is 40 to 50 years old and shows it. Wallpaper coming off main hallway walls, landscaping is very poor, Painted walls need, you guessed it, PAINT. Spa area is dirty, with whirlpool out of order, windows need washing, carpets need to be vacuumed, etc. etc. Basically this place needs much repair because it looks like maintenance is long overdue.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here try to get a third floor room, where it is less traveled and therefore cl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jbell289
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear jbell289,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review of Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our accommodations. Please be assured that I have directed your comments to the correct personnel to ensure these challenges are corrected at once. At this time, we are in the process of updating several areas of the resort. This will include the O~Spa area, guest rooms, banquet spaces, and more. If you wish to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at this resort in July for a convention and again last night for the same reason. In July, one of the two elevators was not working for the hundreds of people there. We went to the restaurant for dinner. There were 3 other tables when we were seated. I had the buffet and my 2 companions ordered burgers and fries. An hour later still no food for them and several other people in the restaurant. The hostess was not helpful and we and several other people asked for the manager.I believe there were many meals comped that night. I at least had food since I chose the buffet. It was ok at best. Also very understaffed. I should mention we had the same problem at the restaurant last year. There also was no air conditioning in any of the main areas This being a very hot July. We later learned that lightning had struck the air conditioning unit but we were never told this during our stay. This trip was somewhat better. Although this trip, the room was the problem, outlet for coffee pot and blow dryer didn't work, one of the lights on the switch didn't work and one of the lights flickered constantly. Checking in at the front desk takes forever and the staff doesn't seem well informed. From what I've seen from the 3 times in 2 years we've stayed here,the managers and/or the owners need to step up and correct the problems. Whomever is cooking in the kitchen has obviously been allowed to continue there, he/she doesn't seem to be able to handle more than one order at a time.That and the under-staffing is definitely hurting their business.I know we won't return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This resort serves a good purpose! Our family was on our way to a wedding and stayed at the hotel as a pit stop on our way to Racine. The room had plenty of space, and was clean. The décor was a bit outdated, but is clean. The fish fry buffet was a great value, along with the morning breakfast buffet. The resort definitely has a dated feel, but serves a good purpose. One surprise was the great entertainment at the Club Indigo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Since I read that this resort had been updated I thought it would be better than it was. They have changed the bedding to be more modern but the carpet in the room was ripped and dirty. Bathrooms are still quite old too. Breakfast is good but on Monday there were only two waitresses on and the buffet was not great. We had to ask if we could order off the menu and then they brought it to us. The pools are great- the outdoor pool has music, nice atmosphere, drinks bars and lifeguards. I got a really good rate booking early so it was a good deal but I expected more from the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear holidayexpert86,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our guest's experiences. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed spending time at the outdoor pool area! It is a great summertime activity here. I have directed your comments regarding the guest room challenges to our housekeeping and maintenance departments to ensure they are corrected at once. If you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oconomowoc
Hilton Garden Inn Oconomowoc
Staybridge Suites Milwaukee West Oconomowoc
The Delafield Hotel
The Delafield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Delafield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Delafield
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Delafield
The Country Springs Hotel

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!